MLB 2017 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fuck the Yankees. This is the most irritating scenario possible for Stanton. The Yankees are my least favorite team in all of sports. Fuck all of this.

Having suffered through some of the most boring Yankees teams ever in 2014-16 and then having people talk about the most likeable Yankees team in 2017, my favorite part of the Stanton trade is that other fans' perspectives of the Yankees are back to normal.

I really cannot emphasize enough how irritating so many Yankees fans have been about having to deal with a couple of uninteresting seasons and how much I still disliked the 2017 team because of that.

Part of me is very happy to see Stanton with the Yankees. I mean, I hate the Yankees, but seeing him as a Met or Phillie would hurt a lot more.

We won that WS, so... no hard feelings on the Florida side with that franchise. But otherwise... I'm happy to see he will have a fanbase that will appreciate him. He will be in a ballpark that's tiny... will probably inflate his numbers. This'll give him that outside shot at history, if he can stay healthy.

Now the Yankees need an ace and they'll be set. :wink:

Crazy, all of this stuff with Stanton and the Yankees. Hasn't really sunk in yet. The regular season can't arrive soon enough. :hyper:

I really cannot emphasize enough how irritating so many Yankees fans have been about having to deal with a couple of uninteresting seasons and how much I still disliked the 2017 team because of that.

I'm sure Yankees fans are the only ones who unreasonably complain about their team.

Mind you, I don't think any smart fan was complaining that the seasons were uninteresting because the teams weren't good (they weren't). But they were caught in that bad spot between not being good enough to compete and not being bad enough to sell. That's why the 2016 trade deadline was so exciting. I'm happy to sit through a rebuild (I wish the Knicks would commit to it), so it's not about being entitled to a good team. It was about having the team use its resources in a good way, which would make them formidable.

The Marlins are a disaster, but there are clearly franchises who have had more disastrous runs.

Right now? Name me a franchise that is clearly more disastrous right now.

I heard the Browns. The only thing I can say to that is it really depends on what you think is harder to swallow... never winning, or repeatedly having your emotions on a seesaw?

In roughly the last decade, the Marlins dismantled three complete rosters via firesale, had eight managers, been at threat of relocation but nobody wanted the frugal cheapskate, and witnessed the death of a generational talent too soon and currently has no positive outlook.

And let's face it... fans here are so shitty and simultaneously the organization is so shitty to them. Fan confidence will never return. This team will continue to hemorrhage money and finish poorly until it is sold again and relocated.

Right now? Name me a franchise that is clearly more disastrous right now.

I heard the Browns. The only thing I can say to that is it really depends on what you think is harder to swallow... never winning, or repeatedly having your emotions on a seesaw?

In roughly the last decade, the Marlins dismantled three complete rosters via firesale, had eight managers, been at threat of relocation but nobody wanted the frugal cheapskate, and witnessed the death of a generational talent too soon and currently has no positive outlook.

And let's face it... fans here are so shitty and simultaneously the organization is so shitty to them. Fan confidence will never return. This team will continue to hemorrhage money and finish poorly until it is sold again and relocated.

I mean, there are numerous franchises out there sitting on championship droughts of 20-30+ years.

Two teams in your division haven't won in 30+ years (or ever). The Mets play in the biggest market in the country and have seen a team that was close to a World Series be decimated by injuries, with an ownership so broke because of one of the worst Ponzi schemes of all time that they refuse to spend more than a low middle market team on payroll. The Nationals are on a nice run, but, ya know, tell that to their fans in Montreal.

The Browns had their damn team move on them, come back, and be nothing short of awful. Meanwhile the franchise that used to be in Cleveland won two Super Bowls.

The Jets are the Jets.

The Knicks haven't won since 73 and have been an utter diaster since 99.

The Indians are still waiting for that championship they thought they had when your team snatched it away.

The 76ers have a great future but had to go through years of sheer awfulness to get to this point (and their #1 draft pick is on the DL with mental problems while the guy drafted with the pick they trades away is a rookie of the year candidate).

The Eagles have never won a title, have a team that looks killer, and just had their young stud quarterback have his knee blown out.

This is just the northeast.

The Marlins aren't even the least successful franchise in Miami.

The Marlins have won two titles in the last 20 years. They don't get to be the worst at anything.

Championships are history. That's nothing to do with right now. Plenty of good franchises haven't won championships.

But you've invoked the Dolphins. The Dolphins are absolutely not harder to watch than the Marlins. In no way shape or form. There's a difference between mediocrity and a disaster.

So... your argument is that the Marlins are the biggest disaster in sports.. this week? This season?

At this moment in time. As it stands. Now. I don't know why you're so bothered by these words.

It's also really strange that you're so against the notion. You honestly think the Mets are a more... unfortunate existence? A disaster, really?

We lost 92 games last season, have no intention of trying to compete for any major free agents in the largest market in the country, have been eclipsed (again) by the other team in our own market, apparently plan on trading the one time saviour for a relief pitcher, have a third baseman making 20 million with no spine, and an ownership group who's fucking broke but won't sell the team. Oh, and haven't won a title in 31 years.

I feel real bad about Jeff Connie bring fired, tho.

At this moment in time. As it stands. Now.

And I still say the Browns.
0-13 this year, 1-29 the past 2.
Completed a trade finally for a QB in AJ McCarron, but oops forgot to get the paperwork to the league office on time.
That's all in the now. Worst franchise in the 4 sports now by a longshot. Worst franchise in pro sports the past decade, worst the past 20 years.
Last made the playoffs in 2002 as a wild card, lost that game, since have finished 4th(out of 4) in their division a staggering 13 out of 15 seasons including this one where its long locked up. And that is a division that includes the Bengals.

You can't top (bottom) the Browns for a disaster of a franchise.

Unless a disaster of some sort levels Marlins Park, I don't see the team relocating anywhere.

Derek Jeter's inexperience as an executive was exposed in this deal. Sure, the Marlins excised most of his contract, but they didn't get much in return. At least take 2 more prospects. Shit, Starlon Castro, he got fucked... for the time being. The Marlins will probably trade him by the deadline, so maybe they'll ship him back to a contender.

Think positive, LN7. Perhaps in this latest Marlins rebuild, the Marlins will develop a new superstar who can lead the team into the future. Someone better than Jose Fernandez who had cocaine and twice the legal limit of alcohol in his system when he died in his boating accident.

A Marlins' fan who is 6 right now won't care about the Marlins' past foibles by the time they're 11 and hopefully a competitive team. By then, hopefully Mr. Jeter can make some more productive moves for the team besides salary dumping.

As for Stanton, the sky is the limit. Hopefully, he doesn't turn out to be a shithead like AR and the Yankees aren't doomed to repeat history.

Think positive, LN7. Perhaps in this latest Marlins rebuild, the Marlins will develop a new superstar who can lead the team into the future. Someone better than Jose Fernandez who had cocaine and twice the legal limit of alcohol in his system when he died in his boating accident.

I'm sorry, but this is an awful comment.

And I still say the Browns.
0-13 this year, 1-29 the past 2.
Completed a trade finally for a QB in AJ McCarron, but oops forgot to get the paperwork to the league office on time.
That's all in the now. Worst franchise in the 4 sports now by a longshot. Worst franchise in pro sports the past decade, worst the past 20 years.
Last made the playoffs in 2002 as a wild card, lost that game, since have finished 4th(out of 4) in their division a staggering 13 out of 15 seasons including this one where its long locked up. And that is a division that includes the Bengals.

You can't top (bottom) the Browns for a disaster of a franchise.
Their last playoff victory was New year's day 1995.

The following season, despite a rocky start, they were thought of as a potential dark horse super bowl team.

Then Art Modell announced the team is moving at the midway point of the season, the team fell apart, and they got rid of their young head coach.

I wonder what ever happened to that guy :hmm:

don't be sorry. it is definitely a startlingly callous thing to say.

Not at all. Fernandez was a role model to the Cuban/Latin community. By making the bad decisions that he made that fateful night, he destroyed his legacy... forever. Heavy drinking, taking cocaine and speeding in a boat (during the season no less) were all bad decisions.

Not at all. Fernandez was a role model to the Cuban/Latin community. By making the bad decisions that he made that fateful night, he destroyed his legacy... forever. Heavy drinking, taking cocaine and speeding in a boat (during the season no less) were all bad decisions.

right. he fucked up majorly and it cost him his life.

"think positive, it turns out he was a loser, so maybe it's good for the team that he died young in a violent manner" is still an exceptionally shitty thing to say.

I think we can say it's appropriate to feel sorry for Marlins fans for being dealt another egregiously awful hand with their new ownership group without needing to declare which fanbase has it the worst. There are a lot of fanbases who have had it rough for a long time.

I do think the Jose Fernandez death is a unique tragedy that they've had to deal with as well.

right. he fucked up majorly and it cost him his life.

"think positive, it turns out he was a loser, so maybe it's good for the team that he died young in a violent manner" is still an exceptionally shitty thing to say.

Not even close to what I said. :down: His death and the manner in which it happened was bad for the team/community. Not only did he die, but the way that it happened was even worse and let his young fans down.

Yankees doing a little salary dumping of their own by trading Chase Headley and the 26 mil that he's owed for 2 more seasons back to San Diego. Pitcher Bryan Mitchell was also sent to SD. Yankees get OF Jabari Blash. Yankees will either re-sign Todd Frazier or give Gleyber Torres a shot.

I know, I just wanted to reiterate it. I am still angry at Bryce Harper for saying that the Nationals also owe it to fans in Montreal to win a World Series. Nobody there cares if they win or not. He can fuck right off.
I live down the street from Nats Park now, and on game days there are inevitably people walking to the stadium, bars, etc wearing Expos jerseys.

I point, laugh, and tell them "Montreal hates you, you silly goose."

They then usually make a snide comment about the Mets, which causes me to walk away in shame.

Back
Top Bottom