MLB 2017 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think so, i really don't care about that though. i'd love to have a ballpark in this town that's somewhat open to the outside rather than a huge concrete can with a lid that gets halfway peeled back on nice days.

i think so, i really don't care about that though. i'd love to have a ballpark in this town that's somewhat open to the outside rather than a huge concrete can with a lid that gets halfway peeled back on nice days.

Hell, and they wait until June to open the roof too. The dome should be open unless it's raining - that's the whole point of the thing. I think it's more likely that the Jays leave town than the Dome gets upgraded though. They'll probably tear the team down this year and next and go back to being mediocre with a good player or two and 12,000 a game. Rogers will sell, the team will be moved. Worst case scenario, of course, but the future is not bright for this team. It's such a shame. Shatkins have done nothing to improve the team since they took over. It's almost like they've been waiting to dump salary....

the dome opening rules are indeed frustrating. i went to a game in mid-may on a gorgeous sunny warm afternoon and it was closed the entire time for no good reason. i dislike the place enough when the roof is open but when it's closed it's uncomfortably hot and stuffy.

i agree that they're probably going to blow the team up at the deadline/in the off-season but there's no chance in hell they're moving the jays out of toronto. if rogers was intent on selling to someone who wanted to move the team for some inexplicably dumb reason (seriously that would be an absurd business decision to move the most popular non-hockey team in canada out of the country) i'm sure mlse or some other consortium would get their shit together and "save the jays". wouldn't even surprise me if government got involved. but no, the jays aren't leaving toronto any time soon.

you're probably right. 10 years ago, the idea of mlse owning the jays would have made me puke in my mouth but they seem to have finally figured out how to run teams.

you're probably right. 10 years ago, the idea of mlse owning the jays would have made me puke in my mouth but they seem to have finally figured out how to run teams.

same here. but the way the leafs/raps/tfc have gone the last few years i would much rather have mlse running the jays as well than rogers. once they blow up the team and go back to the usual basement-dwelling (along with the corresponding tanking in ticket sales and merch revenue) i suspect they'll start considering selling in a couple years. the team is just a line item to the overall rogers business, once it starts sucking money from the rest of the company they'll ditch it pronto.

at least mlse would probably swap out that stupid fucking statue of ted rogers in front of the stadium for an actual baseball player. god damn that thing pisses me off.

Last edited:
Same, Dellin. Same.

giphy.gif

I remember when I was like that with draft picks and trades in a short period. DUSTIN ACKLEY! JUSTIN SMOAK! JESUS MONTERO! Odds are at least one will work out in the long run....

Our farm system right now is stronger than the Mariners' was in that era, but your point is taken. Of course there's a chance that many of them fall short of expectations. We have approximately 10 of the top 50 prospects in the game right now and only one of them has tasted the majors, the electric Yoan Moncada. It's still a crapshoot at this point. Hopefully it works out better for THE SOCK! than it did for the Mariners.

Our farm system right now is stronger than the Mariners' was in that era, but your point is taken. Of course there's a chance that many of them fall short of expectations. We have approximately 10 of the top 50 prospects in the game right now and only one of them has tasted the majors, the electric Yoan Moncada. It's still a crapshoot at this point. Hopefully it works out better for THE SOCK! than it did for the Mariners.

I dunno man. I know we all follow our own teams better than other teams, but that farm had Dustin Ackley, Justin Smoak, and Jesus Montero (who were all top 10 prospects within a year of each other). And then it also had James Paxton, Taijuan Walker, and Danny Hultzen (who were all top 20 guys) the year that Ackley broke into the league. Oh, and then Kyle Seager, Brad Miller, Brandon Maurer, and Nick Franklin, who were all top 100 guys.

2 of those 10 became pretty good within 5 years of breaking into the league.

I actually have Taijuan Walker on my fantasy team this year and the biggest reason I know about him and his potential is you. He's having an ok season in Arizona.

Yeah. I've picked him up for some starts here and there. I typically tend to avoid picking up pitchers who pitch half their games in Arizona or Colorado.

how amazing would it be if bartman showed up at the cubs office to receive it wearing the same sweater and cubs hat, complete with 90s walkman headphones

Tigers/Yankees. How 'bout that shit?

2 things:

The umps continue to be shitheads this season. (Maybe its their bad calls being magnified or overruled?)

Miggy Cabrera lost my respect. He incited all this shit from the last time he faced the Yankees. Got all whipped up in a frenzy. He's having a shitty season, so you can understand the frustration. His feeble swipes at Austin Romine were pathetic.

how amazing would it be if bartman showed up at the cubs office to receive it wearing the same sweater and cubs hat, complete with 90s walkman headphones

Would have been more amazing if he walked into the office and was given the Joe Pesci in GoodFellas treatment.

Tigers/Yankees. How 'bout that shit?

2 things:

The umps continue to be shitheads this season. (Maybe its their bad calls being magnified or overruled?)

Miggy Cabrera lost my respect. He incited all this shit from the last time he faced the Yankees. Got all whipped up in a frenzy. He's having a shitty season, so you can understand the frustration. His feeble swipes at Austin Romine were pathetic.

I agree with all of this.

Back
Top Bottom