MLB 2016 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clearly they obviously shouldn't try to extend the series and if they can sweep they should sweep, but sometimes when you win too quickly you can kill some of your own momentum.
I think when you are using your bullpen as much as Cleveland has been that the benefits outweigh the costs. They needed a few days, both for those guys and to get Bauer back to where he can eat some innings.

Our curse is broken now, so theirs, I guess.

Broken?
How so?
The stupid curse of the billy goat isn't defined as to whether it means winning a pennant or a WS.
The Cubs need to win the series or its 109 years and counting. They are heavy favorites, if they lose it might be more devastating than 2003.

Broken?
How so?
The stupid curse of the billy goat isn't defined as to whether it means winning a pennant or a WS.
The Cubs need to win the series or its 109 years and counting. They are heavy favorites, if they lose it might be more devastating than 2003.

Even if it wasn't the curse wasn't put on the team until 1945, so the other years would be unaccounted for in that regard, but;
I have bad news for all of you.

They were never cursed. They just sucked a lot.

Obviously. Some people are just willing to along with something in order to make everything feel a lot less shitty. It's having humor in a situation. Don't take things so seriously.

And I won't ever be as devastated by anything sports related as much as I was by 2003. Honestly, I'm sure I'm in the minority of this opinion, but while I (hopefully obviously) want the Cubs to win the World Series more than just about anything in the world, I will definitely survive if they lose. They got there. That was the thing, for me, that was seemingly impossible. And now that they've done it once, all of those stupid jitters and pressures are gone, and they should be able to do it again with this lineup at least one more time.

No idea why they'd be heavy favorites against the Indians right now, either. They looked incredible during the playoffs. Should be a good series, and I'm beyond looking forward to it. I'm trying to stop myself from buying a plane ticket out to Chicago just to go stand on the streets in Wrigleyville during next weekend's games.

And I won't ever be as devastated by anything sports related as much as I was by 2003. Honestly, I'm sure I'm in the minority of this opinion, but while I (hopefully obviously) want the Cubs to win the World Series more than just about anything in the world, I will definitely survive if they lose. They got there. That was the thing, for me, that was seemingly impossible. And now that they've done it once, all of those stupid jitters and pressures are gone, and they should be able to do it again with this lineup at least one more time.

No idea why they'd be heavy favorites against the Indians right now, either. They looked incredible during the playoffs. Should be a good series, and I'm beyond looking forward to it. I'm trying to stop myself from buying a plane ticket out to Chicago just to go stand on the streets in Wrigleyville during next weekend's games.

As a diehard Florida Panthers fan, I can relate to your first part. Your World Series was making the World Series. Our Stanley Cup was making the playoffs (in 2012). Even though we lost in a gut wrenching 2OT first round, merely seeing that team make it into the playoffs for the first time in my conscious life as a fan... after 11 or 12 years of being a total joke of a franchise... baby steps.

But 2003 might've seemed like shit for you. But from my perspective it was basically one of my very introductions to sports. Hockey aside. I'd been to my first baseball game in 2003. Against the Mets. I still will never forget... we lost 0-3 and my cousin exclaimed "the Marlins are terrible and they'll never win anything." Granted he was also a little kid... but hey. I tuned in to every game from there on out. It was a blast. The playoffs were total magic. I felt like we were the team that was supposed to lose to everybody. Filled with young talent that wasn't supposed to shine so early.

If you're familiar with Bojack Horseman, your 2003 was Rabbowitz' agency to my Princess Caroyln's.

Ask old school Braves fans what getting to the World Series is worth. It's cool that one streak was broken, but the Cubs still haven't won shit in over a century.

No idea why they'd be heavy favorites against the Indians right now, either. .

Come on, no need for he aww shucks stuff now.
Cubs have been favorites to win the World Series since last November.
They won 103 games. They are prohibitive favorites in Vegas to win the series and rightly so.
If the Indians are healthy, the Cubs are by far the better team, but the Indians are missing their #2 and #3 starters.
The only drama here is do the Cubs sweep or does Cleveland steal a game.

Come on, no need for he aww shucks stuff now.
Cubs have been favorites to win the World Series since last November.
They won 103 games. They are prohibitive favorites in Vegas to win the series and rightly so.
If the Indians are healthy, the Cubs are by far the better team, but the Indians are missing their #2 and #3 starters.
The only drama here is do the Cubs sweep or does Cleveland steal a game.
Ehhhh... The way Cleveland's bullpen has been going, I'm not totally sold. Chicago is still the favorites, without a doubt... but they are still susceptible to the strikeout, so if that bullpen can pitch the way it did against Toronto I wouldn't rule Cleveland out

I have bad news for all of you.

They were never cursed. They just sucked a lot.

Yes, you hit the nail on the head. They sucked a lot for a LONG time. The only curse that existed was when someone yelled "Fuck!" when they did something awful.

The Cubs' time is now and when the euphoria of finally returning to the World Series wears off they NEED to win or this season won't mean jack shit.

It's not a popular opinion, but I really think the Indians are winning this. Their pitching staff is more reliable from top to bottom than anything the Cubs have seen all playoffs, Kershaw aside, and, as Headache mentioned, the Cubs' propensity to strike out could be very problematic. Starting off in Cleveland gives the Indians a good opportunity to seize momentum early and get the Cubs on their heels.

That being said, the Cubs have the stronger roster from top to bottom and a superior lineup (though, lest we forget, Cleveland was 5th in runs this year). It's rational to view them as favorites. I'm just not feeling confident in them when Cleveland has been an absolute juggernaut over the past month, head and shoulders above the competition the Cubs faced in the playoffs up to this point. The Giants and Dodgers were resilient and boast some great players, but those were deeply flawed teams. The Dodgers were middle-of-the-pack offensively this season and the Giants had been a mess since August.

Last edited:
The Cubs are the best team in baseball, but Cleveland has all the hallmarks of the "Red Hot Playoff Team Who Wins It All." This should be a good series.

Speaking of jinxes: I had a $100 roundtrip ticket to Wrigley next weekend basically in my hands three weeks ago, but I decided that if I bought it, I'd basically be fucking the team over, so I let it go. Friday, I looked up tickets and saw that it was still only $100. I thought to myself, well, hell, I could just wait a few hours, and then buy it and if they lose tomorrow, get the 24-hour refund. But I was still afraid of jinxing it, so I didn't buy the ticket. And of course, the next day, immediately after the game ends, I look at the ticket's up to $300.

Is it insane for me to want to go be in Wrigleyville next weekend? I'm trying to decide today if I'm going to do it or not. I have a friend who lives near the train who is cool with me staying at his place for the weekend. I have no illusions of going to the games themselves, I just want to be around should they manage to do it in 5.

Of course, they could get swept and the whole thing be a huge crushing disappointment.

And of course, there's the possibility of me being miserable because it's so crowded.

IDK. It's crazy to want to go, right?

Talk me out of this, people.

It will be a madhouse.
I've read about all the places in Wrigleyville implementing cover charges during the NLCS, which will only go up for the WS.
Save your money, watch on TV in warm California.

Speaking of jinxes: I had a $100 roundtrip ticket to Wrigley next weekend basically in my hands three weeks ago, but I decided that if I bought it, I'd basically be fucking the team over, so I let it go. Friday, I looked up tickets and saw that it was still only $100. I thought to myself, well, hell, I could just wait a few hours, and then buy it and if they lose tomorrow, get the 24-hour refund. But I was still afraid of jinxing it, so I didn't buy the ticket. And of course, the next day, immediately after the game ends, I look at the ticket's up to $300.

Is it insane for me to want to go be in Wrigleyville next weekend? I'm trying to decide today if I'm going to do it or not. I have a friend who lives near the train who is cool with me staying at his place for the weekend. I have no illusions of going to the games themselves, I just want to be around should they manage to do it in 5.

Of course, they could get swept and the whole thing be a huge crushing disappointment.

And of course, there's the possibility of me being miserable because it's so crowded.

IDK. It's crazy to want to go, right?

Talk me out of this, people.

Go. One day you'll regret not being there. It's usually a cliche, but this is literally a once-in-a-lifetime event and if I were in your situation, I'd be on the first plane there, debt be damned.

Back
Top Bottom