MLB 2016 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've all become predictable.

Nothing gets more confusing when gareth brown or whoever posts with the Zooropa avatar, and you think it's Hewson.

I almost always know it's not Hewson right away by posting style. I'll read the post and be like, "Wtf?" and then sure enough, it's GB.

You. You're the assman

mets.jpg

Oh my god...

I'm shocked. Wow, RIP Jose. Never expected to be reading such news. He was such an awesome character. Loved the game. He was all about the game. Bringing fun back into baseball. Always with a smile. Always interacted with his teammates. Was literally one of the only enjoyable things about watching the Marlins, and not just because he was a good player. Unbelievable...

That's extremely awful and sad news.

Reminiscent of the accident that killed 2 Indians pitchers in spring training and scalped Bobby Ojeda back in the 90's.

wow that's sad. i came in here to say something about the blue jays but i think i'll wait a bit.

edit: just read the associated press article and it reads like when they found it the boat was upside down, still docked at the jetty? very strange how it could have capsized tied up in the marina like that. i can't imagine any boat going through government cut in miami in the middle of the night would have made enough of a wake to do that. maybe the boat was being brought back in and hit the wharf. don't drink and boat.

Last edited:
That's so terrible. I know it's not someone you know personally, but still, sorry to hear it ln7, for you, his family, friends, and anyone feeling the impact.

wow that's sad. i came in here to say something about the blue jays but i think i'll wait a bit.

edit: just read the associated press article and it reads like when they found it the boat was upside down, still docked at the jetty? very strange how it could have capsized tied up in the marina like that. i can't imagine any boat going through government cut in miami in the middle of the night would have made enough of a wake to do that. maybe the boat was being brought back in and hit the wharf. don't drink and boat.

Without getting into too many specifics, I'm pretty sure by "jetty" they don't mean a dock. But I don't know another word for it, so here...

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article104075221.html

That's so terrible. I know it's not someone you know personally, but still, sorry to hear it ln7, for you, his family, friends, and anyone feeling the impact.

I appreciate it and feel like you've hit the nail on the head. It's not someone I know personally, but it's so strange to have such a beloved sports player pass away unexpectedly like that. All of my friends who follow baseball texted me immediately -- just this strange sense of... grief. I don't know him personally, but I feel like I do. I imagine most sports fans can relate to that, so if you're a fan of baseball, it's impactful.

But I can't stress, for those who perhaps are a fan of an AL team or generally dont see the Marlins play that often... he was legitimately a really good dude with a great story to his life. He was becoming the face of Miami sports. The ideal Cuban American vision of that city. He was serious about his on field product, but otherwise one of the most lighthearted guys who very clearly loved the game of baseball.

I can understand feeling a great sense of loss as a Marlins fan even though you don't know him personally.
Much like the sense we feel as music fans when we lose an artist like Prince or Bowie or similar.
I was stunned when I saw the news this morning, I can imagine how much worse it feels for you and other Marlins' fans.

ah yea, "jetty" here means an actual dock but it looks like he hit a breakwater and the boat flipped. the article said "jetty near government cut", and the only docks there are the marina so i took a guess.

i didn't know much about him outside of baseball but it sounds like a huge loss for miami in general. very sad.

Turned on the Dodgers game in the 9th to listen to Vin's last home broadcast and what a doozy!

The best part was the way he made you feel the clock tick as the Padres / Giants game wound to a close. Would the Dodgers do it on their own, or were the Padres going to do it for them? And then that home run seals it up, by a guy who hasn't hit a home run in two years.

What a way to end a home season.

Turned on the Dodgers game in the 9th to listen to Vin's last home broadcast and what a doozy!

The best part was the way he made you feel the clock tick as the Padres / Giants game wound to a close. Would the Dodgers do it on their own, or were the Padres going to do it for them? And then that home run seals it up, by a guy who hasn't hit a home run in two years.

What a way to end a home season.
Heard on radio this morning him singing "Wind Beneath My Wings", whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired tout de suite.

Heard on radio this morning him singing "Wind Beneath My Wings", whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired tout de suite.

Uh, yes. I love Vin, but definitely a bad idea. I'm kind of surprised he chose to do that, but I suppose his intentions were good. I would have been impressed if he sang it like Lou Rawls.

Just saw the Dee Gordon clip. Very emotional.

Given that he came out with Fernandez's helmet etc., it's another reminder... Jose was also a great hitter for a pitcher. And again, always fun to watch bat. Because he never took himself too seriously, even though he managed to bat .250 this season.

I was away on vacation when I heard the news. This is so devastating. Although I didn't watch José all that much, he was a legitimately good and fun dude. Life is too cruel at times.

Back
Top Bottom