MLB 2016 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it insane for me to want to go be in Wrigleyville next weekend? I'm trying to decide today if I'm going to do it or not. I have a friend who lives near the train who is cool with me staying at his place for the weekend. I have no illusions of going to the games themselves, I just want to be around should they manage to do it in 5.

Willingly going to Wrigleyville is never a good idea IMO.

Kluber and Miller are untouchable right now.

The Cubs ought to have a better shot at Trevor Bauer, but Arrieta has been shaky since June.

I respect the shit out of the move to bring up Schwarber. Cubs are better with his bat in the lineup. Indians look kinda nasty, though. Have that look to them. This is gonna be a good one. I also am drunk.

Someone catch me up. I know this is catharsis for Cubs fans (my condolences on today's result), I know Ashley must support the Cubs not the Bears because she's been posting things on FB, GAF are you Cubs? Can one of the two of you explain to me in personal terms how amazing this is? I feel it, because less than a month ago a cursed underdog won our highest honour, but I'd like to hear from Cubs fans about this experience.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The Cubs are the best team in baseball, but Cleveland has all the hallmarks of the "Red Hot Playoff Team Who Wins It All." This should be a good series.

Agree that the Cubs are best team in baseball but don't agree with the "red hot team" opinion. The Indians won 94 games this year. It's not like they won 86 games and snuck in the playoffs as the second wild card. They are good...not as good as the Cubs but they are good.

Cubs in 7.

Last edited:
Yes, of course. However, I think the narrative from most is that "the good" is not part of the equation only the "red hot." Maybe I'm a little sensitive about how good this team is and don't feel they're being respected.

Here's a tweet that I saw last night that is pretty funny.

Attachments

• 14713566_994920387304008_5597646536485101615_n.jpg
    14713566_994920387304008_5597646536485101615_n.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Someone catch me up. I know this is catharsis for Cubs fans (my condolences on today's result), I know Ashley must support the Cubs not the Bears because she's been posting things on FB, GAF are you Cubs? Can one of the two of you explain to me in personal terms how amazing this is? I feel it, because less than a month ago a cursed underdog won our highest honour, but I'd like to hear from Cubs fans about this experience.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

1) The Bears are an NFL team from Chicago. They are the only Chicago sports team I do not support.

2) The Cubs are one of two MLB teams in Chicago. The other is the White Sox. The latter are GAF's team, and he will not take kindly to being accused of being a Cubs fan :wink:.

3) Last night's result didn't actually bother me too much, outside of not capitalizing on any scoring chances. That was fucking awful. Much better result, though, then last week when they lost 6-0 and showed NO signs of life. Hoping the remainder of the series goes the same way as the last after we lost 6-0.

4) There are teams like the Indians who haven't won it all since 1948. That's a long time. But at least they've BEEN to the World Series since then. The Cubs haven't even GONE to the World Series since 1945. There isn't anything to compare this to, there is no worse team in all of the world than the Cubs, as I recall, when it comes to final appearance droughts. Watching them win on Saturday didn't feel real. It really felt like something impossible that you joke about happening, but know never will. If you watched any of the video I posted, you basically heard me just screaming uninterrupted for about two minutes straight before I remembered to turn off record. After that I sat down on the bench and almost started hyperventilating I was so overcome with emotions. Travis honestly seemed to think I'd passed out for a second, lol. Just a lot of shock. And last night? Well, maybe it had something to do with being stuck at work, but it was weird, I was actually kinda numb last night, because it still didn't feel real. And now I'm kinda nervous that this is going to go the same way as our previous three playoff appearances and we're about to get swept. Because even though that giant 1945 barrier has been broken, there's still the fact that the Cubs haven't won it all since 1908. So, I don't even really want to think about it right now. I'm content with getting there, now I want to see them win, but a month of tense anticipation finally paying off in something new and awesome is all I think I can mentally handle right now, if that makes sense.

Yes, of course. However, I think the narrative from most is that "the good" is not part of the equation only the "red hot." Maybe I'm a little sensitive about how good this team is and don't feel they're being respected.

Here's a tweet that I saw last night that is pretty funny.

I wasn't accusing them of being a lucky team (like the Giants of recent years) by saying they were red hot. One team seems to get red hot every postseason, often times it's a very good team.

I wasn't accusing them of being a lucky team (like the Giants of recent years) by saying they were red hot. One team seems to get red hot every postseason, often times it's a very good team.

Sorry, my mistake.

Both teams are good teams, but Cleveland has the look of a team that can do no wrong.

Like when their starting pitcher had to leave after a dozen pitches cause he appeared to be bleeding to death... and it worked.

Shit like that that goes beyond just being good... Cleveland seems to have it right now.

"It" of course is always one dominant pitching performance from going the fuck out the window. But I don't know if Arrieta is that guy right now

Yeah, between ESPN and the MLB app today, I don't know if I could've missed it. I swear they've sent out at least 10 to 15 alerts :|

Thank you :D. I don't have to be at work this evening, so I'll be able to watch all of this one with no distractions.

Plus it appears to be only the big mainstay bars directly around the field. If you just walk a few blocks south there appear to be bars with no cover or at least normal cover.

Back
Top Bottom