MLB 2010-2011 Offseason Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You were contradicting your arguments by saying that you wanted to talk TV markets only and not population/geographics ... and then talking about population/geographics in regard to the new stadium's location.

becuase this whole mess has split up into a million different conversations. I'm not sure if you're talking about filling a stadium as opposed to where fans actually are.

It's all Marlins territory south of Orlando... but I dont expect anybody north of Boca Raton to be the ones filling the seats...

Our point is that Miami isn't a small market by any definition, it's just a bad market ... and that there are too many teams in all sports because cities like Miami and Tampa and Jacksonville got teams and the talent's been spread too thin. That's the conversation we're having.

Very well, I disagree. There's a case for basketball and the talent getting spread too thin, although I think in baseball the MLB could even expand and there would be plenty of talent to go around.

PhilsFan said:
Pitching is the problem. There's not enough to spread it amongst 30 teams.

PhilsFan said:

PhilsFan said:

PhilsFan said:

I think Rangers fans should be happy that the statue of Michael Young will be finally removed from the field.

Yep. Nice to have him off the hot corner, and now the Rangers have arguably the best defensive left side of the infield in the game now. You wouldn't know that since Jeter is apparently a better fielding shortstop than Elvis though. Beltre at third and Face at DH is a huge improvement on both sides of the ball over Face at third and Vlad at DH. I'm very pleased with this move.

Also pleasing: Beltre spurning the Halos means we might get some more Dick Wood sightings!

The sad part is that we don't get to watch Vlad playing right field in the World Series.

Also pleasing: Beltre spurning the Halos means we might get some more Dick Wood sightings!

Have the Los Angeles Angies of Eastern Osaka done anything this offseason?
They were a lock for Crawford and that fell through, then they were a cinch for Beltre and he's in Tejas...that team was just a shade above the Seattle NoRunners offensively and they haven't done a thing....folks aren't gonna buy any tickets to see Dick Wood and his band of light hitting minor leaguers.

They haven't done anything but shed Matsui's cadaver. Getting Morales back from injury looks like their big offseason move. Look out, AL West!

I'm hugely disappointed Abreu will be moved to DH. Watching Hamilton liners fly over his fat head always brought me such joy.

I'm hugely disappointed Abreu will be moved to DH. Watching Hamilton liners fly over his fat head always brought me such joy.
That lazy fuck Abreu is still around? He was incredibly overrated by Phillies fans when he was here. He was a lazy piece of shit who had speed but never cared enough to use it. He was McNabb before McNabb.

Why is that? Do you think, perhaps, there is just more offensive talent to go around?

I mean lets be honest... baseball was founded without the idea of the professional pitching systems that we have today. It still works, just in a different way.

In basketball, on the other hand, you have a little amount of teams picking on the rest of the league because there is clearly not enough talent to fill up all of the other teams (especially with small roster sizes). There is the haves and the have nots.

There apparently aren't 32 human beings capable of playing quarterback in the NFL either. Shit happens. But WHY?

Complete speculation, but I'd guess that at least a small part of the reason is that hitters have gotten bigger and stronger over the years (and probably half of them are juiced...) but that pitchers can't develop that same strength because of the way their limbs are stretched during a pitch, they need more flexibility.

Any kinesiologists around?

VintagePunk said:
Complete speculation, but I'd guess that at least a small part of the reason is that hitters have gotten bigger and stronger over the years (and probably half of them are juiced...) but that pitchers can't develop that same strength because of the way their limbs are stretched during a pitch, they need more flexibility.

Any kinesiologists around?

There were more pitchers named in the mitchell report than hitters.

And the top of the line pitchers had as good a season last year as they've had since the 60s.

And there's still an abundance of bad pitching.

Why?

Two reasons. Too many teams. Omar Minaya.

And while we're on juicing, lets just state for the record that taking steroids does not turn you into some hulking monster. Taking steroids speeds up recovery time. Quicker recovery times allows the user to work out longer, harder, and decreases time off between workouts. What one looks like after is dependent upon what kind of workouts that person is doing... be it to add mass and weight or to gain strength and endurance.

Huge lou ferigmo looking dudes can be clean, slender lance armstrong can be jacked full of enough steroids to kill a small horse.

Would you draw the correlation between an expanding world population and an increase in the amount of talent? If so, I would say that's a good enough reason to not contract a league (so long as it's financially operatable).

If you do not think there is enough talent, I'm sure in time enough talent will come around.

Heh, that's Miami. Up here, it's an even mix of Mexican, Jewish, Haitian, and South American (a.k.a. Hispanic, not Cuban/Central American).

I hope the Yankees don't give up a draft pick for Soriano. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom