MLB 2010-2011 Offseason Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imperor said:
Colby Lewis still is. Poor Yankees.

Touché.

I'm actually fine with this outcome. Didn't like the contract offer. Here's hoping Cashman won't sell the farm. Hopefully Brackman can start later in the season.

My only question is: why didn't he sign that extension with the Phillies last year?

Apparently 5 years, $100 million.

Roy Halladay is 4 years, $80 million.

This is our first major free agent signing in eight years.

original.gif

Holy fuck. That's gotta be one of the all time best rotations. Halladay, Lee, Oswalt, Hamels. I guess Lee didn't go where the money was best after all.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
The yankees getting fucked hard is supposed to be a funny, enjoyable moment.

Its not.

Slowly but surely new york is becoming baseball irrelevant.

nah, it's just irrelevant in flushing

Peef, you and your city might be ugly human beings, but you're also very lucky. There's the silver lining to your dark cloud.
I can't believe what happened in the last 12 hours. I'm not saying that with excitement (that'll come later), I'm just completely stunned and confused by what went down.

i'd say contenders in small font with a lower case 'c'

they are a long way from being called irrelevant

and congrats cliff peefer

I don't see much changing in the AL East except that the Rays will drop down to third place and the BoSox could possibly be in first. Enough room for the Yanks to get the Wild Card at least. Plus, there's always a mid season trade that could be made.

The Phillies definitely get props for how they played this Cliff Lee ordeal out. I wouldn't get them fitted for 2011 WS rings just yet, but things are looking good for them. :wink:

The Phils lost to the Giants because the offense was shit, so this certainly doesn't solve all the problems. It just takes more pressure off the offense.

From the Yankees perspective, I still say - get some bullpen help, convince Pettitte to return, and they will be fine. To call them non-contenders is silly, in my opinion.

The Yankees will still be in it this year, definitely, but that starting rotation needs help. I'm sure Pettite comes back for another year now.

It must be worrisome that they are getting up there in age though.

If Pettite returns, they'll have to pamper him more than ever. He is fragile goods. Perhaps Kerry Wood will re-sign to fortify the bullpen.

i'd say contenders in small font with a lower case 'c'

they are a long way from being called irrelevant

and congrats cliff peefer

first off, i said "on the way to being irrelevant."

the red sox and phillies are making both new york teams seem silly and poorly run. red sox are still the best, 'cause as great as this move is for philadelphia they're still quite old and capable of breaking down. but yea... the phillies are the mets daddies.

boston shits on the yankees right now. texas is still closer to a world series and a heck of a lot younger. minnesota is young. the rays will still have great young talent... they may fall off this year, but they'll be back shortly.

the yankees? they're paying a-rod 30 million a year to play 100 games and DH half of 'em, jeter 15 million to hit .260, 14 million for posada to sit on the bench injured all year. and their hopes now are that a 38 year old pitcher signs for 12 million.

they really did a great job developing joba, too.

He played over 120 games in the field and DH'd 15 times. That's ok with me. He had his career worst OPS at roughly .850 and still led the league in RBIs (not that it means much). Is his contract ridiculous? Sure. Is it going to cripple the Yankees in the future? I wouldn't bet on it.

Anyways, I don't want to drag this discussion any longer. I think Headache is disingenuous when he compares how the Mets and Yankees are being run, but that's ok. I also like the Mets.

Let's see how it plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom