MLB 2010-2011 Offseason Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the Padres GM a former Red Sox front office guy? :hmm:

Yeah, Hoyer used to be with the Sox, which is why the deal makes sense, although not for what you are getting at. More because they'd have more knowledge about these prospects than other teams, and they will probably get some legitimate players down the road, especially Casey Kelly.

But it's still a steal for the Sox; they have so many prospects nowadays that they can afford to part with some of the more highly prized ones.

Yeah, Hoyer used to be with the Sox, which is why the deal makes sense, although not for what you are getting at. More because they'd have more knowledge about these prospects than other teams, and they will probably get some legitimate players down the road, especially Casey Kelly.

But it's still a steal for the Sox; they have so many prospects nowadays that they can afford to part with some of the more highly prized ones.

That was a tongue in cheek comment, sorry if it came across the wrong way. It is a steal, though. I know Kelly has been well regarded, but if you look at his numbers he seems more like a hyped prospect than anything else. Recent comparable trades (Teixeira to the Braves, Lee to the Rangers for a half year rental) have obtained much more. But kudos to the Red Sox for getting him, this will be a very good lineup, especially if you guys get Werth.

Another issue, though, is that the revenue sharing system is becoming laughable when a team like the Padres decides not to increase payroll to resign the face of their franchise and the player who almost led them to the playoffs last year (1 game behind the eventual champions). Some owners are getting richer by pocketing the revenue sharing money.

1. When did the word "fleece" join the common vocabulary in sports discussion? That shit bugs me.

2. Let's maybe wait until the prospects Boston sent have time to develop before we call it a "fleecing." It looks like this Casey Kelly cat is very highly regarded.

Robbed, stolen, whatever. It's almost always good policy to trade prospects for established stars in their prime.

It's good for Boston fans, maybe not so much for baseball as a whole.

Wow. I can't believe how little the Red Sox had to pay to get Gonzales. They still have a good group of prospects intact in the event that they want to go after Upton or Greinke or something. It would be nice for the Sox if they could keep both Adrians and move Youkilis to DH/backup corners because the only thing I really dislike about the deal is that it probably means Beltre's much more likely to come back to the AL West to usurp the crown of 3Bdom from Hard Cock (or is it Stiff Johnson?). And I like Beltre. And if he played for the Angels, I'd have to hate him. And that would be a shame.

really hope they can't agree on a deal and he has to go back to san diego

Wow. I can't believe how little the Red Sox had to pay to get Gonzales. They still have a good group of prospects intact in the event that they want to go after Upton or Greinke or something. It would be nice for the Sox if they could keep both Adrians and move Youkilis to DH/backup corners because the only thing I really dislike about the deal is that it probably means Beltre's much more likely to come back to the AL West to usurp the crown of 3Bdom from Hard Cock (or is it Stiff Johnson?). And I like Beltre. And if he played for the Angels, I'd have to hate him. And that would be a shame.

Boston already picked up Ortiz's 1-year option for 2011, so Youk is moving to 3B and Beltre is gone (unless they try to move Youk to LF, which would be Yakety Sax-level embarrassing).

My late condolences for Santo and for the Cubs fans. I always sympathize with fans losing their announcers. Harry Kalas' death last year still stings. And I fear our only other good announcer, Scott Franzke, will end up with the Impster Rangers soon since he's a Dallas guy.

Carl Crawford is gonna get paid.

All of a sudden this offseason may become more palatable...

And I'll feel better knowing that he's not going to make the Phillies pay for refusing to overpay him.

He became incredibly overrated in 2010. The main value he had in Philly was that he was a right handed bat. He is atrocious with runners in scoring position.

Agreed on all counts. Boras must have some spells over GMs (and owners, in Hank Steinbrenner's case).

I think they will also offer big money for Lee. They keep saying it's a Rangers/Yankees race, but somehow I think they'll also try to get him.

They could become a good team once Bryce Harper makes it and if Strasburg recovers well. Too many pieces missing at this point, though.

Would you prefer if they just waited for him to be a free agent instead?

:hmm: Maybe we all spoke too soon, he hasn't signed the contract yet.

Anyway I'd prefer the instant gratification getting Gonzo now rather than wait a year. Boston finished third in the AL East last season and I don't think they want that happening again. And if he did go to free agency Boston runs the risk of a bidding war with a team like the Cubs.

I think they will also offer big money for Lee. They keep saying it's a Rangers/Yankees race, but somehow I think they'll also try to get him.

They could become a good team once Bryce Harper makes it and if Strasburg recovers well. Too many pieces missing at this point, though.

I don't know. If they wrangle in Pena, their offense will have a formidable middle of the order once Harper's ready. I think the East is gonna be a nice race in the NL next season. It'll be fun to see how it all unfolds.

I can't believe that the Nationals are really going to offer 7 years for Cliff Lee.

Baseball offseason in the era of twitter is utterly infuriating. Now there are reports that the Nats are not in on Lee at all.

Same shit during NBA free agency this summer. I'm avoiding all the Twitter shit and just checking Lone Star Ball every now and then. Lord knows I won't get reliable Clifford/Greinke info consolidated anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom