MLB 2010-2011 Offseason Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Note to self: teach offspring to throw a baseball with their left hand.

Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford?

Holy fucking shit. Ladies and gentlemen, the two best teams in the American league have the word Sox in their names.

:: slips on Yankees jersey ::

:: puts on twins hat ::

Game on bitches

Fixed.

Are you with me Yankee fans?

:wink:

I used to like GAF, I really did.
:: slips on Yankees jersey ::

:: puts on twins hat ::

Game on bitches

Let me amend my statement. We've got a long way to go before next October, so we can let the play on the field decide who the best team in baseball is. So what I really should have said is that the two Sox teams have had the best offseasons of anyone in the American League.

Haven't kept as close an eye on the NL. What teams over there look to have improved themselves the most?

Let me amend my statement. We've got a long way to go before next October, so we can let the play on the field decide who the best team in baseball is. So what I really should have said is that the two Sox teams have had the best offseasons of anyone in the American League.

Haven't kept as close an eye on the NL. What teams over there look to have improved themselves the most?

It's all good.

I'm just eager for Opening Day.

Cliff Lee should do a one-hour special on ESPN to announce where he will be taking his talents.

Oh wait.

Cliff Lee should do a one-hour special on ESPN to announce where he will be taking his talents.

Oh wait.

ESPN? :wink:

C'mon, they'd be the 3rd stop. If the Yanks sign him, the YES Network would be the first stop. 2nd would be the MLB Network if Texas or some other team signs him.

Obviously, I know you're referring to King James and joking, but c'mon! :wink:

Well, that's just one deal, is my point. Overall, the differences between the two leagues are stark.

Alrighty then! :huh:

I agree with you, though, about the differences between the two leagues being stark. I'm sure the Werth deal just slipped your mind. Considering the team he left, it's certainly understandable.

The more days pass by with Lee unsigned, the less likely he ends up with the Yankees, I think. He must really want to stay with the Rangers and hope they get somewhat close to NY's offer.

He can afford to be patient at this point in the process. He's also at the point where he doesn't necessarily have to take the biggest contract offer because most of his offers are going to be for ridiculous money.

As his agent said, it's good to be Cliff Lee.

I don't see the correlation between wait and where he ends up. CC sat on the richest contract in baseball for three weeks in 2008.

That said, I'm not sure I want him with the Yankees at that price tag. Let the Rangers have him. There will be other options at the market at some point.

I think this is a different situation. He's not going to get a better offer than the Yankees one - it's obvious. But I'm sure he's working the Rangers for the best they can give, and I have a feeling if it's close enough, he'll stay. The money he'll save on income tax alone might make the difference.

Well, there were no offers for CC at that point, and he was very vocal about staying in California. I think it's a safe bet to say Lee will go where the money is. Maybe he's trying to get the Rangers to match the offer, who knows. It's not like he's been in Texas for 10 years. In another month or so, he will have been a free agent longer than he was with the Rangers. The tax difference is also overblown - from what I've read, it would amount to something like 800k a year. It hardly justifies leaving the 20+ million on the table he will get for an extra year.

As I said, I don't think this is make or break for the Yankees, though. I always wanted the Yankees to get Lee, but not at more than 6 years. He is 4 years older than CC was when he got his 7 years contract. At some point, long contracts come back to bite you. If I was Cashman, I would be looking elsewhere already.

phanan said:
Would you prefer a trade for Greinke instead?

I probably would, especially if it doesn't involve Montero or Banuelos. If Pettitte came back, though, I could probably live with Nova as a 5th starter and see what is available closer to the deadline.

gump said:
I probably would, especially if it doesn't involve Montero or Banuelos. If Pettitte came back, though, I could probably live with Nova as a 5th starter and see what is available closer to the deadline.

It would... kansas city knows they'll get someones top prospects for him, and the yankees are not grienke's first choice...

I wouldn't be surprised if Crawford ends his career as a Boston sports legend.

What a fucking great signing. Damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom