MLB 2010-2011 Offseason Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marlins sign Mujica (800k) and Nunez (3.5m) to 1 year contracts.

Nunez becomes the highest paid reliever in the Jeffery Loria era, and the highest paid reliever since Armando Benitez in 2004.

The Marlins are actually spending. I like it. And contrary to popular belief, dealing Uggla was because of the absurdity of his askings (5 yr 70 mil). Something a 30 year old baseball player simply aint worth.

And just in that Anibal Sanchez (3.7m) and Clay Hensley(1.4m) have signed 1 year deals.

Projected payroll of 48m is now up to 58m. Yay spending.

While those 1 year deals scare me, I have faith, or at least I know they cant be that stupid, to go into a new ballpark with an awful team.

Mariners Blog | Milton Bradley arrested in Los Angeles on a "criminal threats" charge | Seattle Times Newspaper

straight-jacket.jpg

Jeez, I really felt bad for that guy over the course of the last couple of years. I don't know what to think about this at all.

the only thing that matters when measuring how good or bad a closer was is how he performs in big spots. armando was one of the worst big game pitchers of the last 20 years. his many 40+ save seasons are meaningless.

i despise him with the fire of a thousand suns.

I think the closer position is overrated as a whole. MRP in high pressure situations is just as valuable. In fact, saves are overrated.

The point is, Armando performed well. And the beauty about it was that his woes weren't our [the Marlins] problems afterwards other than a handful of games.

Brian Cashman admitted on Wednesday that he was against the signing of reliever Rafael Soriano but was overruled by Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner.
Cashman made his remarks at Wednesday's Yankee Stadium press conference to introduce Soriano, who signed a contract that could be worth $35 million over three years.
"It's not my team," Cashman said. "I don't own it. They do . . . I'm a big boy."

I read that and it's actually really disturbing. Levine should be the last person doing these negotiations. Last time they were involved directly they came up with the brilliance that is A-Rod's contract.

Not a bad deal for Pavano. So he'll suck this year, but then next year you'll get an all-star performance in his contract season.

Not a bad deal for Pavano. So he'll suck this year, but then next year you'll get an all-star performance in his contract season.

From what I understand, the negotiation was between a 2-yr and a 3-yr deal. I think the Twins got a very good deal without committing to an aging pitcher for an extra year.
We shall see.

Like I said, I'm more concerned about Capps and Nathan. Almost $19 mil for 2 closers? I'd rather they had kept Rauch ($3.5 mil) versus Capps. Rauch is way more fun for the crowd, too. I'm sure there is more to it than I know though.

You guys didn't keep Jonny Rauch? Shit, I don't know how I missed that. You know he was the top prospect in our system for a good two or three years. At one point actually, I think Baseball America had him rated the #1 prospect in all of baseball. It was disappointing when he didn't pan out, and then doubly disappointing that he finally decide to pan out with the worst and ugliest franchise in all of American sports, and our ultimate, life-sucking, undead rivals.

You guys didn't keep Jonny Rauch? Shit, I don't know how I missed that. You know he was the top prospect in our system for a good two or three years. At one point actually, I think Baseball America had him rated the #1 prospect in all of baseball. It was disappointing when he didn't pan out, and then doubly disappointing that he finally decide to pan out with the worst and ugliest franchise in all of American sports, and our ultimate, life-sucking, undead rivals.

:lol:

jon-rauch-ap2.jpg

I wouldn't swing at that, I'd fucking run home crying.

From what I understand, the negotiation was between a 2-yr and a 3-yr deal. I think the Twins got a very good deal without committing to an aging pitcher for an extra year.
We shall see.

Like I said, I'm more concerned about Capps and Nathan. Almost $19 mil for 2 closers? I'd rather they had kept Rauch ($3.5 mil) versus Capps. Rauch is way more fun for the crowd, too. I'm sure there is more to it than I know though.

Oh, for sure it was a good deal. I wasn't being sarcastic.

I'm just saying that knowing Pavano well, he's not going to perform like you'd want him to unless it's his contract season. He likes to take vacations.

I'm just saying that knowing Pavano well, he's not going to perform like you'd want him to unless it's his contract season. He likes to take vacations.

That's putting it mildly. Number of starts Pavano had with the Yankees:
2005: 17
2006: 0
2007: 2
2008: 7

And they thought about bringing him back for this year.

Haven't they told you? The 2010s are the new 1990s.

I actually like Jones as a fourth outfielder now that Thames is gone to LA. And he can actually play the field.

On the Pavano front, I thought the captioning in the screen was pretty funny.
IMG_5301.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom