Michael Phelps is the single most dominant athlete on the planet, bar none

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2girl, did you see how lucky the Chinese gymnasts got last night? They were behind but then 'exploded at the right time' and won. Lucky little bastards.

i liked how lucky Phelps was last night when he won the 200 free by almost 2 seconds. he's so lucky to have such an amazing underwater dolphin kick, and boy is he lucky that he trains so hard and has such perfect technique and impeccable focus.

a lucky man, that Phelps.

i liked how lucky Phelps was last night when he won the 200 free by almost 2 seconds. he's so lucky to have such an amazing underwater dolphin kick, and boy is he lucky that he trains so hard and has such perfect technique and impeccable focus.

a lucky man, that Phelps.

Yes, a 2 second win is totally comparable to win of a few hundreds of a second within the last 20? 15 ? meters of the relay. Anything that close is down to luck, yes.
Funny, you seemed to agree it is lucky for Phelps as he still has a shot at 8 golds after that relay win. Or were there reports pre-Beijing that Lezak is doing amazing splits in the relay ?

That said, report button isn't really a problem as long as you don't act like an ass. Works for most people...

Yes, a 2 second win is totally comparable to win of a few hundreds of a second within the last 20? 15 ? meters of the relay. Anything that close is down to luck, yes.
Funny, you seemed to agree it is lucky for Phelps as he still has a shot at 8 golds after that relay win. Or were there reports pre-Beijing that Lezak is doing amazing splits in the relay ?

That said, report button isn't really a problem as long as you don't act like an ass. Works for most people...

no, i agree that it was lucky for Phelps that Lezak stepped it up, but Lezak stepping it up had nothing to do with luck and everything to do with experience.

no, i agree that it was lucky for Phelps that Lezak stepped it up, but Lezak stepping it up had nothing to do with luck and everything to do with experience.

Sure, and I said Lezak had a swim of a lifetime probably, but in the end it came down to who will touch that block first: Lezak or Bernard. After 400 m were swam, it was down to mere hundreds of a second.
How much closer would you like it to get before luck can be acknowledged ?

It's hard to celebrate the US win without acknowledging the tremendous French effort. Their team broke the world record by what- 3, 4 seconds? That's an impressive accomplishment. They were just....unlucky....they were in the pool at the same time the US team was just a bit faster.

I guess you can get hung up on whether or not the US got a "lucky win", but I think that's beside the point- the French said they'd smash the US, and winning by a few tenths if Lezak touched second or never completely closed the gap isn't "smashing" your opponent, it's hanging on for dear life. Simply by fact of having the race come down to a "lucky" touch of the wall means the French failed to meet the bar they set.

what was that for? To help the dolphin swim faster? :wink:

Elfa, do you hear that noise? I think you know what's about to land....

roflcopter.gif

I don't get your definition of luck.

Yes, sometimes your opponent falters, like a girl falling off the beam, or a French guy swimming slower or whatever. But why does that mean you would have not otherwise won? Would the Chinese girls have won if Sacramone stayed on the beam and didn't fall on the floor? Probably still yes, given the large margin.

It isn't luck that you're a great athlete who performs better against an athlete that has a bad day. You're still a great athlete, whether it be the American swim team, the Chinese gymnasts, or whoever.

Honestly.

Back
Top Bottom