Michael Phelps is the single most dominant athlete on the planet, bar none - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #466
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:41 AM

Phelps got screwed!

Old 02-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #467
Blue Crack Addict

Wow, that's really disappointing. I understand that he let people down, but come on, it was one picture of a young guy smoking weed. If it was alcohol in his hand, I doubt the backlash would've been as strong, even with his past DUI problems.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:08 AM   #468
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
Wow, that's really disappointing. I understand that he let down kids, but come on, it was one picture of a young guy smoking weed. If it was alcohol in his hand, I doubt the backlash would've been as strong, even with his past DUI problems.
There would've been no backlash if he had alcohol in his hand even though alcohol is worse then pot any day. But, pot is "illegal", so its "bad".

Next time, Mike, take the bong into the bathroom and, for god's sake, make sure there are no cameras or cell phones in there.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #469
War Child

Local Time: 11:41 PM
The 'everybody's got a phone camera' issue is going to get a lot worse, IMO. Prince Harry got busted wearing a Nazi outfit to a party the same way. You just never know who's packing one and what they're going to snap of you. Once it hits the internet it's all over for you, and the culprit will likely always remain anonymous. We should all worry about this even if we're not famous!

One thing for sure though, there will be no more excuses for all those people who claim to have had bigfoot or UFO sightings but didn't have a camera! Now if they don't get one with their phone no one will believe them.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #470
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
Are you kidding?

no. why?
Old 02-09-2009, 12:28 AM   #471
ONE
love, blood, life

Seth Myers rips Kellog's and the guy who sold the picture a new one on this past Saturday's SNL's Weekend Update:

Saturday Night Live - Really?!?: Michael Phelps - Video - NBC.com

I laughed out loud. Pretty damn funny.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #472
Blue Crack Supplier

i guess not all pot smokers turn out to be complete losers:

Quote:
Fired up Phelps back in record-smashing form
Thu Jul 9, 2009 10:00pm EDT

By Steve Keating

INDIANAPOLIS (Reuters) - A fired up Michael Phelps signaled he was back in top form when he rocketed to a world record in the 100 meters butterfly at the U.S. Nationals on Thursday.

The 24-year-old American erased any concerns he lacked motivation after he won eight gold medals at the Beijing Olympics, ending compatriot Ian Crocker's six-year grip on the 100 butterfly record.

Phelps' power was on display when he went out fast and pulled away after the turn clocking 50.22 seconds, leaving Tyler McGill a distance second in 51.06.

Phelps now holds five individual world records -- 200 and 400 individual medleys, 100 and 200 butterfly and 200 freestyle.

He had previously held the 100 butterfly record when he broke the mark in the semi-finals of the 2003 Barcelona world championships.

Crocker, however, broke that record with victory in the final the next day and has lowered it twice since -- the last time at the world championships in 2005 when he swam 50.40.

"It was big, it was something I really, really wanted," Phelps told reporters. "I've wanted that record ever since he took it at the '03 worlds.

"He just smashed me in the 100 at the '05 worlds, I remember saying then, 'I never want to get beaten that bad again'.

"That was a wake up call for me."

Phelps' display also confirmed he is back to full fitness after a tumultuous six-month layoff following Beijing, which included a three month suspension from USA Swimming when he was photographed inhaling from a pipe used for smoking marijuana.

He also gained seven kilograms in weight and contemplated retirement but is now looking to add to his 17 world championships gold medals later this month in Rome.

He has already qualified for three events for Rome with victories in the 200 freestyle, 100 and 200 butterfly and is racing the 100 freestyle on Friday.

Phelps has not been satisfied with his overall performance, particularly in the 200 meter events where he posted year best times in winning both, but failed to produce personal bests.

A beaming Phelps, however, and coach Bob Bowman could find no fault with Thursday's performance.

"I think he sensed he was in condition to break the record," said Bowman. "He was really fired up to do it.

"I think it means a lot to him because in the race when Ian broke that record (in 2005), that was the worst Michael has ever been beaten.

"That was an amazing record, that's why it stood the test of time."

here's what's also amazing:

World Records in Olympic Events Held By Phelps (including relays):

200 free
100 fly
200 fly
200 IM
400 IM
400 Free Relay
800 Free Relay
400 Medley Relay

World Records in Olympic Events Not Held By Phelps:

50 Free
100 Free
400 Free
1500 Free
100 Back
200 Back
100 Breast
200 Breast

so, that's 8 events vs. 8 events. Phelps literally owns half the swimming program. certainly, it helps to be on an American relay, but those relays were also helped immeasurably by Phelps. it should also be mentioned that he's among the 5 fastest performers in history in both the backstroke events.

the scope of his career is absolutely unheard of. 5 WR in individual events plus an American Record in the 100 Free?

amazing.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #473
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Apparently this Milorad Cavic chump doesn't learn.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #474
Blue Crack Supplier

that race was so freaking cool.

also, the guy's name is Mike. they drummed up the Milorad thing when he decided to swim for Serbia, though he was born in and lived in Orange County his entire life and knew that he wasn't likely to make the US Olympic Team.

he's now moved to Italy, though.

but, yeah, Phelps continues to amaze, and it will be interesting when all these suits are banned and they go back to 1999.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #475
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:41 AM
I think Tiger Woods is a lot more dominating actually. He's won 69 tourniments in about 12 years and has to play against 125 other players on average, not just 8-10 that are in the pool. Hes got over a 25 percent winning percentage. Wayne Gretzky was also a lot more dominating in the sport of hockey and holds about 40 NHL records.

Phelps is a great athlete, but I dont think hes the best athelete of all time.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #476
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Gotta give props to Subway for featuring Phelps in their new ad campaign.

Glad to see he's back.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:04 AM   #477
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahweh View Post
I think Tiger Woods is a lot more dominating actually. He's won 69 tourniments in about 12 years and has to play against 125 other players on average, not just 8-10 that are in the pool. Hes got over a 25 percent winning percentage. Wayne Gretzky was also a lot more dominating in the sport of hockey and holds about 40 NHL records.

Phelps is a great athlete, but I dont think hes the best athelete of all time.

it becomes apples to oranges since cross-sport comparisons are kind of impossible to do.

but those 8-10 people are just those that make it into the final, not the total number of competitors. he also swims different strokes, different lengths, and has been this dominant since 2003. the title of this thread has to do with how dominant he is in his particular sport compared to other athletes currently competing, the other two who come to mind are naturally Woods and Federer.

any way you slice it, Phelps belongs in the same sentences as Jordan, Federer, Woods, Gretzky, etc.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:11 AM   #478
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
that race was so freaking cool.

also, the guy's name is Mike. they drummed up the Milorad thing when he decided to swim for Serbia, though he was born in and lived in Orange County his entire life and knew that he wasn't likely to make the US Olympic Team.
No, I think his name is actually Milorad, he just went by "Mike" because it's easier to pronounce. That's really common in Canada and the US, where kids who are born here are given ethnic names by the parents but then informally adopt another one at school. Half my cousins are like that.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:29 AM   #479
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
No, I think his name is actually Milorad, he just went by "Mike" because it's easier to pronounce. That's really common in Canada and the US, where kids who are born here are given ethnic names by the parents but then informally adopt another one at school. Half my cousins are like that.

he's still as American as apple pie, imho, despite his "Serbia is Kosovo" shirts that he likely wore to increase visibility in Serbia heading into Beijing.

still, it's nice for Phelps to have a foil. Ian Crocker and Ryan Lochte are far too mellow.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #480
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
he's still as American as apple pie, imho, despite his "Serbia is Kosovo" shirts that he likely wore to increase visibility in Serbia heading into Beijing.
Those shirts were obnoxious and offensive.

Tags
michael phelps