Michael Phelps is the single most dominant athlete on the planet, bar none - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #376
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:47 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but one of the events Phelps won for (the 50, maybe?) wasn't even included in the Olympics Spitz competed at. I think it's fair to say, considering Spitz went 7-for-7, setting a new world record each time, that he would have won that race and gold as well.

And he did it with a FUCKING MOUSTACHE.

Old school FTW.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:54 PM   #377
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:47 AM
Phelps doesn't swim 50m free. But he does swim the 400 IM which is the most bad ass of all events. Seriously. Just thinking about it makes me tired.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:25 AM   #378
Blue Crack Supplier

Whatever it was, there was an extra event added post-1972 that I feel should be taken into account.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:51 AM   #379
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

McGovern's new economics?

Phelps was rocking some facial hair before the Olympics, although judging by the photos he made the right choice.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:50 AM   #380
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:47 AM
He looks naked

Olympic hero Michael Phelps graces the cover of Sports Illustrated on newsstands Thursday. On it, he mimics and one-ups the iconic image of Mark Spitz wearing 7 gold medals that was on posters sold for $2 back in 1972.

With 8 gold medals from Beijing around his neck, Phelps smiles from beneath the label "The Alltime Olympian" The photo was taken inside an ancient temple in Beijing on Sunday night

"This one being the first [photo] of him with all eight medals, we hope that our cover will stick in everyone's mind," SI's managing editor Terry McDonell said.

Phelps also tops Spitz on the number of SI covers on which he's featured: 5-3.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #381
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Whatever it was, there was an extra event added post-1972 that I feel should be taken into account.

Spitz is claiming that he would have won the 50 free, but that's not for certain, his most uncertain win in 1972 was the 100 free, and in fact he wanted to pull out of that race for fear that he might not win and blemish his perfect record. so i'm doubtful of that claim. Spitz had a huge, huge cushion in 1972 in that the American relays were unbeatable back then, and he didn't have to swim semi-finals.

no matter which way you look at it, Phelps is by far the more impressive of the two.

one point that Spitz does have, however, is that it's now possible to be a professional swimmer in a way that it wasn't in 1972. Spitz chose to retire and cash in, and made a cool $5m which was pretty big bucks in 1972, which was a good decision even if it ended his Olympic career because he was no longer an "amateur." today, he would be able to take the money and keep on swimming, and i'm sure he would have been in the Olympics in 1976 and won more medals.

so, different ages, different times. but if you compare Spitz in '72 and Phelps in '08, there's no question that the Phelps performance is superior. Spitz will have to settle for the second best Olympic swimming performance, not such a bad thing.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #382
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I agree there's a lot of dumb hot air blowing in that article, but I don't think its attitude is representative of track and field afficionados collectively at all.

fair enough, it's just incredibly silly (and, in fact, insulting) to say that hopping or skipping is equivalent to breaststroke or butterfly.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #383
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Spitz is claiming that he would have won the 50 free, but that's not for certain, his most uncertain win in 1972 was the 100 free, and in fact he wanted to pull out of that race for fear that he might not win and blemish his perfect record. so i'm doubtful of that claim.
Is Phelps not competitive in the 100 free? I just noticed he did not compete in it. It looks like his 200m free record is only a second faster than Thorpe's.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:17 AM   #384
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
Is Phelps not competitive in the 100 free? I just noticed he did not compete in it. It looks like his 200m free record is only a second faster than Thorpe's.

Phelps lead off the men's 4x100 free relay in 47.51 -- that time would have been good enough for bronze, and it was a new American record (he broke Lezak's record). for someone to hold the American record in the 100 free and the 400 IM at the same time absolutely boggles the mind. it just doesn't happen. no one is this versatile over different strokes and different distances.

*only* a second faster than Thorpe? 1 second is *huge* in a 200m race of any stroke, and Thorpe swam the old standard back in 2001 and never came close to it again. at the time, Thorpe's 1:44.01 was considered a monumental record, akin to his 400 free or a Janet Evans record. Phelps broke it in 2007 at the World Championships when he went 1:43.89 (i think, not positive about the tenths), and he won that race by over 2 seconds over Pieter Van Den Hoogenband, who actually beat Thorpe in the 200 free in Sydney, and finished second to Thorpe in Athens (beating Phelps back then).

i thought Phelps going 1:42 was probably the individual swim of the meet, and he won by 2 seconds.

if Phelps starts to concentrate on the sprints in the future, expect to see him challenge Sullivan's WR.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #385
Blue Crack Addict

What a terrible cover.

I saw the funniest .gif of him celebrating that relay win except with a paper bag over his head.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #386
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
if Phelps starts to concentrate on the sprints in the future, expect to see him challenge Sullivan's WR.
I'm sure he's capable of it. I just have the impression that the average casual fan (such as myself) would think he is currently the "world's fastest swimmer". I think most fans who see the headlines, magazine covers, etc. would be surprised to learn that he cannot claim that title.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:38 AM   #387
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
I'm sure he's capable of it. I just have the impression that the average casual fan (such as myself) would think he is currently the "world's fastest swimmer". I think most fans who see the headlines, magazine covers, etc. would be surprised to learn that he cannot claim that title.

no, he's called the world's "best" swimmer.

the "fastest" -- which would have to be the winner, or WR holder of the 50 -- would be the "fastest."

this is a great opportunity for casual fans to learn more about swimming, so newspaper columnists won't equate hopping and skipping to breaststroke and butterfly.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #388
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post

I saw the funniest .gif of him celebrating that relay win except with a paper bag over his head.
Whoa that's harsh

In a candid interview via satellite from China, Olympic golden boy Michael Phelps opened up to "Extra's" Dayna Devon about dating, his multi-million dollar payday and Cameron Diaz!

As for the rumors Phelps is dating fellow Olympic swimmer, Amanda Beard, he declares, "No, I'm not dating Amanda Beard. I'll say that. I think she has a boyfriend." When asked if he's single, he responds, "Part of my life is kept to myself. I'm able to relax and be with my friends. Those pretty much are the only people who really know the answer to that question."

The eight-time gold medal winner in the Beijing Olympics has been known to listen to music before races and reveals to "Extra" what's on his iPod saying, "Rap, hip hop, Lil Wayne..."

News that American Idol alum, Carrie Underwood, has a crush on him, he admits, "That's the first I've heard of that. That's pretty cool."

Devon also asks Phelps his pick to play his leading lady in a movie about his life. "Any actress you love?" Phelps says, "Cameron Diaz seems pretty cool. She seems like she has a cool personality. "

Phelps is now poised to rake in an estimated $40-100 million in endorsements, but he tells Devon, "It's not about the money. I love what I do." He continues, "The one thing I'm really looking forward to doing is raising the bar in the sport of swimming and promoting it...to get new faces involved in the sport."

Phelps' ceremonial last lap for the Hilton Swim to Beijing Relay helped raise $100,000 for The USA Swimming Foundation benefiting swimming education programs across the U.S.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #389
Blue Crack Addict

Old 08-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #390
Blue Crack Addict

When I talked to my Mom on the phone a couple of days ago she said "you know, I find that Michael Phelps boy to be charmingly ugly so that he's almost cute."

Tags
michael phelps