Michael Phelps is the single most dominant athlete on the planet, bar none

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I talked to my mother about him too. We both agreed that the hair and eyes are cute (she says he has beautiful eyes) but the lower face, not so much :wink:

He is very cute in a charming, "dorky' way-and when you look at him swimming, well let's just say the eyes go elsewhere and it's a complete distraction..

NY Daily News

Breakfast of a champion? Frosted Flakes! Phelps signs with cereal

BY RICH SCHAPIRO

Updated Wednesday, August 20th 2008, 9:16 AM

After winning a record eight Olympic gold medals in Beijing, American swimming superstar Michael Phelps signs on with sugar-loaded cereal.

You better eat your . . . Frosted Flakes?

Olympic legend Michael Phelps will appear on boxes of the Kellogg's brand sugar cereal, drawing sharp criticism from health experts worried about the message he'll be sending to children across America.

"I would not consider Frosted Flakes the food of an Olympian," said nutritionist Rebecca Solomon of Mount Sinai Medical Center.

"I would rather see him promoting Fiber One. I would rather see him promoting oatmeal. I would even rather see him promoting Cheerios."

The announcement yesterday that Phelps, 23, winner of a record eight gold medals at the Beijing Olympics, would grace Frosted Flakes and Corn Flakes boxes instead of the traditional athlete's choice of Wheaties left many perplexed.

Frosted Flakes has three times the amount of sugar as Wheaties and 1/3rd the fiber.

This doesn't matter much to a virtuoso swimmer who consumes 12,000 calories a day.

Still, in a country where childhood obesity is an alarming issue, Phelps' iconic image sharing space with Tony the Tiger sends the wrong message, experts say.

"For a guy like Michael Phelps who isn't worried about obesity because he's burning thousands of calories as an athlete...eating Corn Flakes and Frosted Flakes every so often is not an issue," Solomon said.

The Phelps-emblazoned cereal boxes hit supermarket shelves in mid-September.

Pretty harsh too. Poor guy

NY Post
Sexpot swimmer Amanda Beard says Michael Phelps has absolutely no shot at doing the breaststroke with her.

Beard, 26, denied yesterday that she was dating Phelps, 23, saying, "Eww, that's nasty."

"I have never, ever hooked up with Michael Phelps," Beard said via telephone from Beijing on the "Johnjay and Rich Show," which is broadcast on Kiss FM 104.7 in Phoenix.

Beard, who has bared all for Playboy and appears in a sexy ad for PETA, also said she has never even kissed the 14-time Olympic gold-medallist.

"Come on, I have really good taste," the sexy swimmer said. "He's really not my type."

Asked how the poolside rumors made their way into London's Daily Telegraph, Beard said she had no clue.

"We don't even talk to each other," she said of her relationship with Phelps.

When "Extra" asked Phelps in an interview that aired last night if he was dating Beard, Phelps said, "No."

"I'm not dating Amanda Beard. I'll say that," he told the TV show. "I think she has a boyfriend."

Asked if he's dating anyone, Phelps said, "Part of my life is kept to myself. I'm able to relax and be with my friends. Those pretty much are the only people who really know the answer to that question."

The Telegraph also reported on Monday that Phelps was linked to model Lily Donaldson.

The 21-year-old British model, who lives in London, has been spotted with Vladimir Restoin Roitfeld, the son of Vogue Paris' editor-in-chief, Carine Roitfeld.

IMG, the agency that represents Donaldson, did not return a call seeking comment

I wondered about his father-none of my business of course but I just wondered

August 20, 2008

Everyone in the world is clamoring for a piece of golden boy Michael Phelps - except for his own father.

Phelps' dad, Fred, admitted to The Post that he has not had a single conversation with his Olympian son since Michael left for Beijing.

And eight medals later, Michael still has nothing to say.

"He's so busy, I'm sure not even his agent can get a hold of him," Fred told The Post yesterday outside his home in the Baltimore suburb of Linthicum Heights, when asked why he had not yet made any attempt to congratulate his record-setting son.

Michael's mom, Debbie, has been seen cheering and crying from the stands as her son won medal after medal in Beijing, but Fred has had no contact with the Olympian.

"I'm very proud of him and all he's done," Fred said as he aimed to deflect attention away from the severed relationship. "This is not about me, it's about him."

The retired Maryland state trooper divorced Debbie, his high-school sweetheart, in 1992 when Michael was just 9, the same year doctors diagnosed the swimmer with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

"It was like a storybook [marriage], but sometimes chapters go in different directions," Debbie told the Baltimore Sun. "We were close, but we grew apart."

Since then, Fred, who remarried eight years ago, has been in and out of Michael's life, relatives said.

"This is his world, and I'm just watching him travel through it," Fred told the Baltimore Sun in a 2004 interview. "People ask me how he's doing, where he's swimming next, and it's hard to say that I don't know."

Although he didn't hop a plane for Beijing to see his son compete, the elder Phelps said he "watched [Michael] every night on TV" last week.

Michael's older sisters, Hilary and Whitney - who sat with their mother Sunday when he won his record-setting eighth gold medal - were instrumental in raising Michael when their dad was not there every day.

"When we started, my dad would be up at 4 a.m. on the mornings I had 5:30 practice," said Hilary, who competed as a swimmer in her childhood.

After the divorce, it was Michael's mom who drove him to swim practice each day and to baseball games Saturdays.

Michael has never publicly acknowledged his father as having any role in his success.

"The person I love the most is sitting in the front row - my mom - for everything she's done," Michael told reporters Monday in Beijing.

Prior to the start of the 2004 Athens Games, Michael said he hadn't been in touch with his father since graduating from high school.

"There are reasons and I really don't want to get into that," Michael said at the time. "He didn't call me after I set my first world record in 2001."

The 23-year-old Olympian reconciled with his dad right before the 2004 Games, and Fred even flew to Athens, where Michael won six gold medals. But the relationship quickly soured.

Classy!

lololphelpsmm6.jpg

He does have beautiful eyes. I wondered what was playing on his ipod but now i know it was hip hop and rap :cool: He's great, He made the olympics exciting and fun.

Amanda Beard is catching flak for her flippancy – and she wants to set the record straight. "Everyone who knows me knows I can be a jokester, but I guess I took it too far," the four-time Olympian tells PEOPLE. "I never meant to say anything rude about Michael. I am 100-percent sorry for what I said. I take full responsibility for it."

Beard, speaking earnestly, adds, "When we are sitting in the stands, we are very grateful that Michael swims for the U.S. It's cool to be a part of the team on which Michael won eight gold medals. We know each other and Michael is like my little brother. He jokes around me all the time and it's all good-natured. But obviously people who don't know me can take it the wrong way."

For Phelps's part, the 23-year told Extra that he has a celebrity crush on Cameron Diaz and insisted, "No, I'm not dating Amanda Beard. I'll say that. I think she has a boyfriend."

He would be right: Beard has been dating a photographer for the past three years. "He's been here [at the Olympics] – he's always with me," she says of her boyfriend. "He's totally fine with [the romance rumors]. This is just the way things go sometimes. But to Michael, I am so sorry for the things I said."

from the neck up, he's a goofus.

from the neck down ... perfection.

Gotta agree, partly. He was more attractive and looked older and more intelligent before he shaved the goatee. The current clean shaven/crewcut, big eared look matched with his facial expressions bring to mind exactly that word- goofus. I've been calling him that through the whole Olympics! I heard he was a hyper little kid and this is why he was put in the pool, to take off some of that energy. He totally reminds me of a goofy hyper kid I sat next to in fourth grade, looks, voice, expressions. I had to check the name to make sure it wasn't him.

His lower body is better but not hot IMO. It's too weirdly shaped for me, too topheavy in the shoulders, extra skinny waist, short legs:huh:

Here's the sad story of his father, left the family when he was nine and has had little contact:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/be...-Michael-Phelps-missing-father?urn=oly,102215

10 hours a day? :shocked: I'd say that's an addiction.

At least five hours swimming, from what I saw on the Olympics coverage. That leaves 9 for eating, sleeping, and studying-and swapping spit/tonsil hockey/clinching.

August 22, 2008 --

Michael Phelps doesn't have a girlfriend, but he celebrated his record-breaking eight gold medals in Beijing by sneaking off for a sizzling game of tonsil hockey with one of Australia's hottest Olympians.

Phelps, fresh from shattering Mark Spitz's 36-year-old record, was spotted Monday night in a hot make-out session with Down Under swimmer Stephanie Rice, a source tells The Post's Clemente Lisi and Luke Dennehy. The pumped-up pair clinched and swapped spit at a celebratory bash outside the Olympic Village.

The Baltimore Bullet swooped in for the lip-lock with the 20-year-old brunette just weeks after she split from Aussie swimmer Eamon Sullivan. "All the swimmers are talking about it, and [Sullivan] is cut up about what happened," the source said.

The day after the face-sucking frolics, Phelps and Rice cheekily posed together for Speedo - laughing and playfully groping each other as a photographer snapped them in their swimsuits. "I definitely admire him for his athletic ability and everything he's achieved," gushed Rice, who won three gold medals of her own. "I'm just really glad to be in the mix with that."

Whether the dynamic duo is now a couple isn't known. Phelps' rep didn't return our calls.

Since winning, the 6-foot-4 wonder has been linked to US swimmer Amanda Beard, who posed nude for Playboy, and British model Lily Donaldson. Both have denied ever dating him, with Beard going as far as to fume, "Eww, that's nasty."

Meanwhile, Simon & Schuster's Free Press imprint has signed Phelps to write "Built To Succeed," a behind-the-scenes look at the training regimen that led to his victorious performances. It'll be out in December. Sources say Phelps got a $1 million advance in anticipation of its doing better than his 2005 tome, "Beneath the Surface," which sold only 10,000 copies.

i am thrilled that swimmers are now the subject of celebrity gossip.

truly, my sport has finally arrived.

and it only too 8 gold medals and a pair of big ears to do it.

Michael Phelps Returns To His Tank At Sea World

ORLANDO—Fourteen-time Olympic gold medalist and SeaWorld main attraction Michael Phelps returned to his seven-million-gallon water tank Wednesday to resume his normal schedule of performing in six shows a day for marine park crowds every day of the week.

Phelps, the 6'4", 200-pound aquatic mammal, and the first ever SeaWorld swimmer to be raised in captivity by foster swimmers (Mark Spitz and Dara Torres), was recaptured by trainer Bob Bowman in a hoop net baited with an entire Dutch apple pie following Phelps' final Olympic event last Sunday. Phelps was then tethered to the rudder of a container ship bound for St. Petersburg, guided down local waterways, and introduced back into his home habitat, the tank in SeaWorld's 5,500 seat stadium, known to park officials and visitors alike as "Phelps' Happy Harbor."

"Michael seemed really excited to be back," said Bowman, adding that the male swimmer became playful upon entering his tank, breaching the water and sounding repeatedly. "He just started swimming freestyle and backstroke, and only stopped to slide belly first onto the tank's platform so he could be fed dozens of fried egg sandwiches."

"He fell asleep at the surface of the water around midnight," Bowman added.

Though Bowman plans on continuing the long-running aquatic show "Michael, The Yankee Doodle Swim Team Captain," in which Phelps was performing prior to leaving for Beijing, Bowman said he and Phelps would begin working on an all-new production, which will debut in September with the title "Champion!" Bowman has promised this show would be the most ambitious program in the history of Olympic swimmer sea spectacles.

Bowman says one stunt called the "Flying Medal" will begin with Phelps' 14 gold medals being suspended above the water. Phelps will then enter the stadium butterfly-stroking at full speed, coursing along the surface, and with every breach of the water, placing his head through the hoop of one medal after another. If Phelps is wearing all 14 medals at the end of the stunt, Bowman said, the swimmer will be rewarded with a whole pizza and a pound of cooked enriched pasta.

Bowman confirmed that the routine would also feature the signature aquatic feats that audiences from around the world have come to expect from Phelps, such as his trademark trick of 35 flip turns in 35 seconds, nuzzling a child with his nose, and Bowman himself "surfing" on Phelps' back while the subservient sea creature swims the breaststroke.

"Those seated in the first 14 rows should be prepared to get soaked," Bowman said, admitting that Phelps' powerful dolphin kicks would be added to the new program. "Also, Michael's two friends, [Olympic swimmers] Ryan [Lochte] and Jason [Lezak], will open the show with their humorous beach ball antics."

Beginning with the 1985's "Baby Michael Celebration," Phelps has entertained SeaWorld audiences for over 20 years. Spectators are not only enthralled with Phelps' exploits in the water, but his abnormally large torso, unusually small lower body, double-jointed ankles, gargantuan eating habits, the slurring, almost human methods of vocalization he uses to communicate, and his odd-looking goggle-covered face, all of which combine to make him the most unusual sight in all of Florida.

"I have never seen a stranger yet more majestic-looking creature," said husband and father of three Glenn McKay. "Last year we went to SeaWorld San Diego and saw [Michael's female counterpart] Michelle, and even though the show was a little funnier than this one, nothing compares to watching Michael almost hover over the water after launching his trainer into the air."

"Michelle" is SeaWorld's moniker for the Olympic gold medalist who was born Natalie Coughlin.

"I liked it when he played dead and floated in the water," added McKay's 8-year-old son Brandon, who was clutching a Michael Phelps stuffed doll. "I also liked when he blew water on everyone."

Though spectators—and ticket-sales personnel—are happy that Phelps is back at SeaWorld, members of the World Society for the Conservation of Olympic Swimmers released a statement yesterday saying that these athletic mammals should be released from captivity. The statement claims that there is conclusive scientific proof that confinement in smaller pools of water, as opposed to wide-open, Olympic-sized pools, causes the swimmers sensory depravation and a shorter lifespan.

"It's clear that Michael doesn't like being at SeaWorld," WSCOS spokesperson Jonathan Haines said. "When he was placed back into his tank, the slightly loose portion of his black swim cap immediately folded over to the right side, a telltale symptom of stress and angst. And you can be certain that, just before he left for Beijing, he didn't bite that little girl's arm off because he was happy."

Gold medal hero Michael Phelps will host the upcoming season premiere of Saturday Night Live on September 13.

In front of a live audience, the 23-year-old swimmer will kicked off the 34th season of the NBC show with musical guest Lil Wayne. The season will open with an unprecedented eight consecutive new shows.

During the Beijing games, Phelps professed to having the hip hop artist on his iPod before races.

Phelps will also be dropping by The Tonight Show with Jay Leno on Monday, Sept. 8.

The season premiere of Saturday Night Live will air on Sept 13. @ 11:30PM ET/PT on NBC.

Back
Top Bottom