Michael Phelps is the single most dominant athlete on the planet, bar none - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #181
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2girl View Post
Lots of ego driven athletes say "I'm gonna smash my opponent and win" (Muhammad Ali, for one).

absolutely.

yet, you think Phelps is an "ass" when he celebrates a thrilling, come-from-behind win?

i do want to say, however, after reading through some of the comments on various websites that the amount of anti-French comments -- nation of chokers/cheese-eating surrender monkeys -- are inappropriate. the French swam a tremendous race.

they were beaten, but by a team that outswam them. it wasn't "luck" that Lezak drafted on the first lap, nor was it "luck" that Bernard went out too fast the first lap (which Lezak knew, and didn't panic, and knew Bernard would tie up the last 25 meters). there's no question that Bernard's wake pulled Lezak along the first lap, though by the second lap Bernard was clearly in the middle of the pool.

if you are an experienced swimmer who has competed at the international level for 8 years like Lezak, you know how much strategy goes into these races, and you know that if you are behind you need to use the wake, just like if you are behind at the turn, especially if you are behind the field at the turn, you need to stay under water a little bit longer so you don't hit a wall of water.

all these swimmers *know* what they are doing, just like Duncan Armstrong knew what he was doing when he surfed off Matt Biondi in 1988 to win the 200 free.

there's very little luck here at all.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #182
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
and you can bet that if France won, they'd be every bit as obnoxious, just like the (admittedly hot) south africans were in 2004.
Very true, obnoxious posts would also follow had France won.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #183
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
absolutely.

yet, you think Phelps is an "ass" when he celebrates a thrilling, come-from-behind win?

i do want to say, however, after reading through some of the comments on various websites that the amount of anti-French comments -- nation of chokers/cheese-eating surrender monkeys -- are inappropriate. the French swam a tremendous race.
I think that particular face expression is bizzare and looks silly, yes. I've seen other comment on it too.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #184
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:49 PM
Quote:
cheese-eating surrender monkeys
I had to check ...

God bless google images.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #185
Blue Crack Supplier

South Africa in 2004:

the US in 2004:

Old 08-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #186
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Oh Hai U2girl!!! You make a lot of really great points in this thread!!!!!!

And, of course the win was lucky. The United States cannot win anything, anywhere, without a major amount of luck. When you're a nation of perpetual fuck-ups, luck is reallly your only ally. Thanks for crystallizing this for us all!

I might start a petition asking the US gold medal winners from last night to return their medals. That's really the only honorable thing to do, since the win was based on luck and luck only. I always ask myself WWFD (What Would France Do?), and in this instance, I know the French would give their medals to whomever got robbed of the Gold.

U2girl, will you sign my petition?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Wow. I never thought we'd have a world record holder right here on interference, but I checked with the judges and that was in fact the dumbest post in the history of posts.
Lets not be rude please.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #187
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

they were beaten, but by a team that outswam them. it wasn't "luck" that Lezak drafted on the first lap, nor was it "luck" that Bernard went out too fast the first lap (which Lezak knew, and didn't panic, and knew Bernard would tie up the last 25 meters). there's no question that Bernard's wake pulled Lezak along the first lap, though by the second lap Bernard was clearly in the middle of the pool.

if you are an experienced swimmer who has competed at the international level for 8 years like Lezak, you know how much strategy goes into these races, and you know that if you are behind you need to use the wake, just like if you are behind at the turn, especially if you are behind the field at the turn, you need to stay under water a little bit longer so you don't hit a wall of water.

all these swimmers *know* what they are doing, just like Duncan Armstrong knew what he was doing when he surfed off Matt Biondi in 1988 to win the 200 free.

there's very little luck here at all.
Barnard had I think 0.8 lead which as I read is huge on that distance, and this from a World record holder. It's true Barnard slowed in the end, but that still doesn't exclude the fact Lezak had a fantastic swim (fastest 100 meter split in the history of games), on that day, in that race, which ultimately won the race. Luck is a part of sports.

Lezak lifts U.S. in 'best ever' relay - Olympics - Yahoo! Sports

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...?urn=oly,99807
Old 08-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #188
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicy View Post
Lets not be rude please.
If we can't call out bad posts/posters can we get a button (akin to the report a post) that can be clicked to notify the mods of "logic detrimental to the community"?

I don't want the monkeys (cheese-eating or otherwise) to run the asylum, but this kind on nonsense has got to stop. Passive aggressive posters should not be allowed to hide behind the report a post button forever.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #189
Blue Crack Addict

Irvine, what do/did you swim?
Old 08-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #190
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2girl View Post
Barnard had I think 0.8 lead which as I read is huge on that distance, and this from a World record holder. It's true Barnard slowed in the end, but that still doesn't exclude the fact Lezak had a fantastic swim (fastest 100 meter split in the history of games), on that day, in that race, which ultimately won the race. Luck is a part of sports.

Lezak lifts U.S. in 'best ever' relay - Olympics - Yahoo! Sports

how is Lezak's brilliant swim luck? he swam it tactically perfectly. and Bernard swam a 46.6 -- amazingly fast, probably the 2nd or 3rd fastest split in history (followed by the other Frenchman, Bousquet, who also split a 46.6 and that was why Rowdy Gains, the US commentator, really thought the French would win).

i suppose you could say that Phelps was lucky, because Lezak produced such a brilliant swim, and had he not, then Phelps would be out of the market for 8 golds.

Lezak made that swim happen out of guts and smarts. he's always been a brilliant relay swimmer, let's see if he can finally get it together for the individual event.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:19 PM   #191
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Irvine, what do/did you swim?

i swam fly, back, and the IMs. was better at the 200s and 400s than the sprints.

haven't swum seriously since college where i was a solid, mid-level D3 competitor. was never going to the olympics, or even senior nationals, but it was a huge part of my life as a child and i swam successfully at the state and regional level. i loved it, dearly, and still do.

i tried to pick up swimming again about a year ago, but it ended when i nearly died. see my journal if you want the full story.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #192
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
i swam fly, back, and the IMs. was better at the 200s and 400s than the sprints.

haven't swum seriously since college where i was a solid, mid-level D3 competitor. was never going to the olympics, or even senior nationals, but it was a huge part of my life as a child and i swam successfully at the state and regional level. i loved it, dearly, and still do.

i tried to pick up swimming again about a year ago, but it ended when i nearly died. see my journal if you want the full story.
I don't even need to look at your journal to know what happened. Those suits are WAY too tight. I'm shocked more guys don't die.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #193
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I don't even need to look at your journal to know what happened. Those suits are WAY too tight. I'm shocked more guys don't die.

some just do the "Silence of the Lambs" tuck.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #194
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicy View Post
Lets not be rude please.
Mine was sarcastic, really, as opposed to plain old rude. I deleted a lot of the rude comments, even though I knew U2girl would report my post due to thin skin.

I deal with ridiculousness poorly, my apologies.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #195
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I read your journal as those events were unfolding and it freaked me out.....

Tags
michael phelps