London 2012 Summer Olympics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No spoken words said:
Agreed with all of this. I think they're of two minds over there right now. For whatever it's worth, this is their first Olympics in ages (actually, maybe ever since ABC had it for so long prior to NBC) without Dick Ebersol fully in charge, so, I think they're living and learning in many ways. Their streaming product is an unqualified hit so there's that.

Yeah, just the fact that they have adjusted their weekend daytime coverage is heartening. I can forgive the prime time tape delay since the online streaming option is fantastic. Now if we can just get Shannon Miller to do their gymnastics commentary, that would be great.

Also, having caught a bit of the BBC One coverage, which is excellent but centered on British athletes, can understand NBC's coverage better.

anyway, to preempt a bit on the inevitable conversation, there are going to be questions regarding Katie Ledecky in light of Ye Shiwin.

here's the difference, for me. Ledecky has improved dramatically over past year. and no surprise, she's 15 years old. Ye's improvement at age 16 is also not unexpected. Ye improved by 5 seconds over a 400m race, Ledecky by 5 seconds over an 800m race, though by about 15 seconds over the past year.

so why does it look like, to me, that Ye's swim is more suspicious? because Ledecky's swim was totally consistent with how people have always swum, whereas Ye's final split simply doesn't make sense in context. Ledecky's finally 100 won't be faster than the likely winner of the men's 1500 (China's Sun Yang) whereas Ye was faster than Lochte and half the men in the same event (the women swim the 800 not the 1500, but expect that to change in Rio where they both swim the 1500, as it should be).

perhaps i am biased, which i think we all are naturally, but China has a long history of doping in swimming (40-ish drug busts since the early 1990s) whereas USA swimming has had a few (Angel Martino, who did cheat; Jessica Hardy who proved that she had taken something mistakenly as part of a supplement) and there was some suspicions around Misty Hymen who beat Susie O'Neill back in 2000 in the 200 fly with a similar huge time drop. Dara Torres acknowledged the inevitable head on. Phelps gets drug tested up to 3x a week. and it just seems impossible to me at a 15 year old who lives 15 minutes from me up in Bethesda (and swims for one of the best age group clubs in the US) and is going to be a sophomore and was only a year ago probably not thinking about the Olympics would be able to find some EPO or synthetic testosterone in the way that a swimmer like Ye, who was identified and put in a state sport school at an early age, would be.

but that's how it goes. no GDR swimmer ever failed a drug test. Ye's strokes are gorgeous and balanced. my issue with her is not her time (she broke what was a great, suit-assisted WR whereas Ledecky didn't break another great, suit-assisted WR) but the strangeness of her final 100m.

It is certainly possible that China may have come up with a new PED that is not being tested for by the IOC. But if that were the case why wouldn't they have more swimmers getting crazy results at these games? Would they really just use Ye as some kind of test subject and take the chance that the IOC won't discover their new enhancement before the next Olympics? Knowing the importance that China places on Olympic success it just doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't go for as many golds as they can get right now.

Personally, I just find it a bit distasteful for athletes and coaches and commentators from the country that is dominating the swimming events to be spreading suspicions that one of the few swimmers they can't beat is doping. It's like the US contingent won't be happy until they are winning every single swim. The IOC has stated that she passed the doping tests so, until proven otherwise, she's clean.

Oscar Pistorius for the win!

Honest answer? Jim Dolan.

He was afraid that a stadium n the west side of Manhattan would steal business from Madison Square Garden. So he spent millions of dollars protesting the stadium, eventually torpedoing the entire thing. The backup plan was to build the Olympic Stadium in Queens. Didn't have quite the same allure to it, and they had to rush the plan together. So New York looked unprepared... and London won.

So thanks to Jim Dolan's protests...

- there is no West Side Stadium
- New York didn't get the Olympics
- the Jets had to go back to being stadium partners with the Giants
- the original plan for a retro style brick stadium for the Giants was scrapped in favor of the generic monstrosity you see today
- the real estate development of the west aide yards in Manhattan and the Willets Point section of Queens stalled, and to date has yet to see a shovel in the ground
- the Knicks still suck

Despite all the positives that would have resulted had NYC won the bid, I'm happy that London got it because I am enjoying the venues: tennis at Wimbledon; cycling time trials at Henry VIII's castle complete with thrones for the top three; rowing at Eton with packed grandstands on both sides; beach vollyball being improbably held at Horse Guard's Parade; the triathlon at Hyde Park; shooting at the Royal Artillery Barracks. It gives all the outdoor events great, historic visuals.

I think the gymnastics commentary with the "Fab Five" and their "awakening to dreams of gold/could the judge's scores be golden?/any sentence with the word GOLD in it" is the most barfy. I want to slap whoever writes the track for Al Trautwig.

John Tesh was no better!

I randomly caught that 15 year old's race last night, and was glad I did. Holy crap!

I like how NBC, on a night with no gymnastics, shows a 30-minute retrospective of Kerri Strug and the 1996 women's team. Not like there was anything else going on.

(Yes, I watched it and got a little teary-eyed. I'm not made of stone!)

What I most like about Kerri Strug's triumph was that she had spent years being overshadowed by other US gymnasts. She was so eager to be a star gymnast in America and always said so in interviews. When 1996 came around, it seemed that wasn't going to happen to her. But then she did that vault and now she's a legend. :up:

Kromowidjojo won her second gold medal for the Netherlands tonight (50 m freestyle). Well done! And Marleen Veldhuis won bronze in the same race. I'm so happy for her, winning her first individual medal in her final race (she has won several with in the relay disciplines).

:applaud:

So the swimming is over. And
The US won gold in both Medley Relays which was to be expected. The US Women obliterated the field as you would assume. They broke the world record and have 12 gold medals amongst them. Unreal meet for the US.

it was extraordinary to watch them ~ extraordinary! Fantastic way for Phelps to end his career and an amazing way to herald what will undoubtedly be an incredible era for US women's swim team.

I'm thrilled that the Aussies managed a medal for Liesel in her final Olympics ~ it has been a joy to watch her just revelling in the 'being there'. And for the Aussie boys ~ hopefully the fact that they fought back and medalled in that last relay will give them a new found focus . . . I'm excited for 2016 already!

Kromowidjojo won her second gold medal for the Netherlands tonight (50 m freestyle). Well done! And Marleen Veldhuis won bronze in the same race. I'm so happy for her, winning her first individual medal in her final race (she has won several with in the relay disciplines).

:applaud:

I only managed to catch that on the replay - got a little sidetracked with, I don't know, EVERYTHING ELSE THAT IS ON! :panic: :lol: . . . it was a fantastic race; I love the sprint because it really is a leveller in that it can be anyone's race! :)

Now it's back to the basketball . . . come.on.boomers ~ fight harder! :scream:

Watching the Men's 10,000 meters and shockinly the USA has a contender. Seriously. Oregon Duck Galen Rupp is in the lead pack.

ETA He finished 2nd! I think that's the first medal we've had there in a very long time. So happy to see Mo Farrah of Great Britain win Gold. What a great night for British Track and Field. Gold in Heptathlon, Gold in Men's Long Jump and Gold in the 10,000 meters. Awesome!

damnit all to hell. totally forgot nbc was holding the women's 100m final until prime time. i kept waiting for it and missed it. :doh:

wonder if that lame stutter step cost him.

just run right through and knock the shit out of it

I wonder if the debate about Shiwen's results would come up if she wasn't Chinese. Guess not - Ledecky, anyone ?

Now we can finally move on from "greatest Olympian" hype with the end if swimming matches and bring on track and field.

they're both crack whores

I do think there is bias, the American girl obviously got better drugs than the Chinese girl, she shaved even more time, faster.

In a sport where competitors spend years trying to shave fractions of seconds off their personal best (PB) times, Ledecky has been hacking off large chunks, more than 11 seconds this month.

At the U.S. Olympic Trials earlier this month, Ledecky carved more than five seconds off her PB to make the team for London. She reduced it by more than another five seconds on Friday to win the Olympic gold.

"(I've) just progressively set short term goals and long term goals," she said.

"I just have been dropping time progressively and just going to some big meets and having some good races and I've been able to get down to where I am here."

While her time was outstanding, her timing was awful.

Earlier this week, an American coach, not involved with the team or U.S. Swimming, accused China's Ye Shiwen of doping when she won the 400 individual medley gold medal, saying her rapid improve, which was less dramatic than Ledecky's, was a sign she cheated.

Watching the Men's 10,000 meters and shockinly the USA has a contender. Seriously. Oregon Duck Galen Rupp is in the lead pack.

ETA He finished 2nd! I think that's the first medal we've had there in a very long time. So happy to see Mo Farrah of Great Britain win Gold. What a great night for British Track and Field. Gold in Heptathlon, Gold in Men's Long Jump and Gold in the 10,000 meters. Awesome!

Yes, that was a great evening of track & field. An amazing night for Great Britain (will probably take some of the sting out of the soccer loss), an end to the Ethiopian 10,000 meter domination, and a great women's 100M final to finish it off. I enjoyed the moment at the end when the fans were waiting for the heptathlon medal ceremony and they were singing along to 'All You Need Is Love' being played in the stadium. The camera was scanning the fans and then suddenly there was Paul McCartney sitting in the stands singing along with his own song. So random.

They're saying the track is fast so I can't wait for the men's 100M tomorrow. Hope it doesn't rain.

Of course, NBC will take this great night of track & field and hack it all up for tonight's broadcast. Gotta make it all about freaking Phelps one more time. Deadspin is running a daily tracker of the number of mentions each athlete gets on NBC. I'd be willing to bet Phelps will get more mentions tonight than all the track & field winners combined.

This is the most fun looking sport since short track speed skating.

Seriously, trampolining is awesome. I wish I'd known it was a legit sport when I was little - I'd have never got off my trampoline.

Despite all the positives that would have resulted had NYC won the bid, I'm happy that London got it because I am enjoying the venues: tennis at Wimbledon; cycling time trials at Henry VIII's castle complete with thrones for the top three; rowing at Eton with packed grandstands on both sides; beach vollyball being improbably held at Horse Guard's Parade; the triathlon at Hyde Park; shooting at the Royal Artillery Barracks. It gives all the outdoor events great, historic visuals.

Agreed, the venues are fantastic. Plus, as much as Headache obviously loves his NYC, a third US Olympics in less than thirty years? Let's share it around a bit more ... even if London has had it twice already. At least you have to be about seventy years of age to remember just one of those (though I was hoping somewhere new might get it back in 2005 when it went to the vote).

Enjoying the moment after years upon years of copping it from you lot! Oh I like watching Australia suffer in their boots, especially with the desperate "Team Oceania" drivel on The Age right now.

But I wouldn't say this bragging "flies in the face" of my stance at all. After Mahé Drysdale's gold, my favourite Kiwi medal of this Games so far is the bronze our equestrian team won in the three-day event. Massive, massive effort; Andrew Nicholson was just perfect in the cross-country and showjumping after copping an unfavourable call in the dressage, and Mark Todd is pretty much a god amongst mere mortals. And while Australia's sulking about silvers and bronzes, I'm pretty sure the equestrian team's still partying hard. Apparently they threw one hell of a celebration that night anyway! :laugh:

Oh please tell me they didn't run with Team Oceania :barf:

I'm not a swimming expert, but Lochte's overall time was 23 seconds faster than Ye's. Ye also won the 200 IM by less than a second over than the 2nd place finisher, and the 400 IM by under 3 seconds over the 2nd place finisher.

right, and it's his overall 23 seconds of victory that make his slower-than-hers last 100m so weird.

her overall time isn't out of the question, just like Ledecky's overall time isn't out of the question. it's that unreal last 100 that's so strange. she was about a second behind Beisel going into the last 100 and beat her by 3 seconds. did she not try for the first 300m?

it's strange. that's all i'm saying.

and, in comparison, Sun Yang obliterated everyone in the men's 1500 and crushed his world record. but NO ONE things Sun Yang is doing anything remiss.

It is certainly possible that China may have come up with a new PED that is not being tested for by the IOC. But if that were the case why wouldn't they have more swimmers getting crazy results at these games? Would they really just use Ye as some kind of test subject and take the chance that the IOC won't discover their new enhancement before the next Olympics? Knowing the importance that China places on Olympic success it just doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't go for as many golds as they can get right now.

this is a good point. i think what also happened to Ye was that her swim was on the first day of the meet. and i think many people who have followed swimming got the feeling that, "oh no, here we go again ..." and we were about to see a series of unbelievable times like the GDR in the 70s and 80s and like China in the early 1990s (especially the world championships in 1994).

that didn't turn out to be the case. China had a good meet, but a meet on par with how they've done in the past. their superstar Sun Yang delivered, and they've gradually become more and more competitive. it does feel legit for a country that was nowhere in the pool until 1992 (and the arrival of the GDR coaches after the fall of the Berlin Wall).

The IOC has stated that she passed the doping tests so, until proven otherwise, she's clean.

agreed.

the sad caveat, tough, is that no GDR swimmer ever failed a drug test. China has failed over 40 the past 20 years (i think, i'd have to double check the numbers).

Oscar Pistorius for the win!

:up:

John Tesh was no better!

i'm glad i have no memory of this. i'm sure it was awful.

I like how NBC, on a night with no gymnastics, shows a 30-minute retrospective of Kerri Strug and the 1996 women's team. Not like there was anything else going on.

she lives in my general area. i saw her in the frozen foods section of Safeway. i did some polite stalking, just to confirm, and she shot me a weird look. i stayed away after that.

So the swimming is over. And The US won gold in both Medley Relays which was to be expected. The US Women obliterated the field as you would assume. They broke the world record and have 12 gold medals amongst them. Unreal meet for the US.

this was by far the best US team since i started seriously followed swimming as a 10 year old in 1988. a lot of that is due to the Phelps Effect -- though he's probably depressed times for the men temporarily (because he's been unbeatable for a decade), his overall effect on the sport will be enormously positive. what i've loved about him was that he always stated that his overall goal was to raise the profile of swimming. it will never be baseball, it may never even be track, but because of him NBC now shows Worlds and even Senior Nationals. that hasn't happened before.

it was extraordinary to watch them ~ extraordinary! Fantastic way for Phelps to end his career and an amazing way to herald what will undoubtedly be an incredible era for US women's swim team.

the US women are a force. so much depth, and so many teenagers on the way. it's very exciting.

I'm thrilled that the Aussies managed a medal for Liesel in her final Olympics ~ it has been a joy to watch her just revelling in the 'being there'. And for the Aussie boys ~ hopefully the fact that they fought back and medalled in that last relay will give them a new found focus . . . I'm excited for 2016 already!

i have an affection for Aussie swimming. any country that loves (and then hates) it's swimmers like that is a-ok in my book, and their history is formidable. they can come up with depth and superstars. no doubt lots of athletic Aussie talent winds up in the pool, and i greatly respect that (there seemed to be a shocking amount of 50m swimming pools per capita in Sydney ... i was jealous) and so i hope they do recover from what has been, quite honestly, a rather disastrous Olympics.

and i look forward to 4 years of Magnussen vs. Adrian battles in the sprints. could be a fantastic rivalry.

I wonder if the debate about Shiwen's results would come up if she wasn't Chinese. Guess not - Ledecky, anyone ?

i've fully addressed this earlier. i suppose the Chinese swimmer just got lucky, you know, like Lezak in 2008.

Now we can finally move on from "greatest Olympian" hype with the end if swimming matches and bring on track and field.

agreed. it's all settled now. i'm ready for track as well.

ETA He finished 2nd! I think that's the first medal we've had there in a very long time. So happy to see Mo Farrah of Great Britain win Gold. What a great night for British Track and Field.
That made my weekend watching the two of them kick it away from the pack at the end and celebrate together! Both under 54 seconds on that final lap. For me personally, that will probably be the most memorable image from this Olympics:

farahrupplondon.jpg

I also got a bit of a thrill out of seeing their coach, the American former marathoner Alberto Salazar (Farah and Rupp train together in Oregon and are close friends), celebrating in the stands...I used to have a poster of Salazar setting a world record at the 1981 NYC Marathon up on my wall, back when I was in fifth grade and starting out in cross country. Such a shame, he destroyed his own great potential before he even hit 25 through extreme overtraining, and has devoted much of his coaching career to teaching distance runners how NOT to wind up badly injured. Today had to have been a lifetime highlight for him, too--for sure, he's gonna be getting a lot of interest in his training methods after challenging decades of East African teams' domination in this event.

salzrupfar.jpg

And as you said, great day for British track and field in general.

Last edited:
yolland said:
That made my weekend watching the two of them kick it away from the pack at the end and celebrate together! Both under 54 seconds on that final lap. For me personally, that will probably be the most memorable image from this Olympics:.

I watched that race, that was awesome afterwards as well :up:

After Mahé Drysdale's gold, my favourite Kiwi medal of this Games so far is the bronze our equestrian team won in the three-day event. Massive, massive effort; Andrew Nicholson was just perfect in the cross-country and showjumping after copping an unfavourable call in the dressage, and Mark Todd is pretty much a god amongst mere mortals. And while Australia's sulking about silvers and bronzes, I'm pretty sure the equestrian team's still partying hard. Apparently they threw one hell of a celebration that night anyway! :laugh:

I saw Mark Todd (and also Andrew Hoy from Australia) compete in the World Three Day Event Championships in 1978. Kinda cool to see some of the same names 34 years later.

Also kind of cool that my mom took us out of school for a few days so we could go see it. :)

got up at about 330 to watch the marathon. going to be an exciting last 5 miles

men's tennis final in less than an hour: go andy murray!

Back
Top Bottom