London 2012 Summer Olympics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a really fat US weightlifter who's been getting a lot of coverage.

7362934.jpg

Cricket? It would never, ever qualify. You need x number of countries, with a spread representing all continents, all playing to an acceptable standard. A small number of ex colonies of varying standard falls way short. Even rugby doesn't stand a chance and it is legitimately far more global than cricket.

Don't tell that to Adam Gilchrist, Stephen Fleming, etc.! They seem to think cricket's got the numbers. They can keep dreaming. Especially since it'd be rubbish anyway. What cricket fan wants to watch some quickfire Twenty20 Olympic event when there's the Ashes? Even if it was global enough, it'd probably suffer from soccer's problem - not even close to being the most prestigious event in the sport.

And I don't know what you mean about rugby sevens not standing a chance when it's already in as of 2016.

There's a really fat US weightlifter who's been getting a lot of coverage.

7362934.jpg

Liesel Jones watch out!

Did anybody else hear "Beautiful Day"? I caught the end some time around when Ukraine was being shown in the parade, I think. It was playing in the background.

damn. some of these female athletes :drool: :heart:

and i'm still in the A's

I do think the games need to be rejigged a bit. Because, honestly. Who gives a fuck about equestrian? Or synchronised swimming?

This seems odd to me that you're all complaining about there being too many events. Who cares? This is the one time that a lot of these people get any recognition whatsoever. Just because you don't enjoy it, it really doesn't effect you in the slightest, since they don't even fucking show the events for the most part.

That's what's blown my mind about the last couple Olympics. With the internet and all, I can't understand why every event is not televised in some capacity. Unless that's changed this time. I haven't looked much at it.
Well, I was referring to dressage. Forgot about the others. Who the fuck finds dressage even remotely interesting?

I find it pretty interesting since my good friend competes in it and explained it to me.

I stand corrected. You can watch ALMOST all the events on NBC. Com. Japan and Poland are at each others throats in Badminton. Let's do this!?

Ugh, why do we have to suffer Channel 9's abysmal coverage in Australia?

I'm sick of "our" everything and athletes from other countries not existing. Hell, if there's not an Australian in an event, apparently it's not an event at all.

This seems odd to me that you're all complaining about there being too many events. Who cares? This is the one time that a lot of these people get any recognition whatsoever. Just because you don't enjoy it, it really doesn't effect you in the slightest, since they don't even fucking show the events for the most part.

That's what's blown my mind about the last couple Olympics. With the internet and all, I can't understand why every event is not televised in some capacity. Unless that's changed this time. I haven't looked much at it.

I find it pretty interesting since my good friend competes in it and explained it to me.

I'm just stirring the pot, really.

I just watched two minutes of the dressage and I am not joking when I say I'd rather watch snail racing.

Ugh, why do we have to suffer Channel 9's abysmal coverage in Australia?

I'm sick of "our" everything and athletes from other countries not existing. Hell, if there's not an Australian in an event, apparently it's not an event at all.

That's why we have Foxtel. Nine channels, and pretty much everything gets covered. Fucking love it.

That's why we have Foxtel. Nine channels, and pretty much everything gets covered. Fucking love it.

I guess I should just use sportlemon or something. I kind of assume Foxtel is going to be covered in nauseatingly patriotic shit too, given their dreadful standard of rugby commentary.

Well, that's fucking unfortunate. There's hardly any commentary or nationalistic bullshit to speak of, and the picture quality is pristine.

I loved those Opening Ceremonies. Even though of course in the US it's taped and you suffer through all those commercials at the worst possible times. I loved that they had a sense of humor, which they usually don't. The Queen part was brilliant, plus any time I get to see Daniel Craig is great.

Costas and Matt Lauer-insufferable as always. They said that Paul McCartney was obviously emotional at the beginning of Hey Jude. I just thought he hit one of the worst bad notes I've ever heard. The whole performance was tough on the ears.

Too many bongs for Phelps, it appears

he'll be fine. that was a *very* easy swim. i think he thought all he had to do was beat Cseh, the silver medalist from Beijing, and he'd be through to the final. the final heat was surprisingly fast (and Cseh is out!), which is why it really is like running a gauntlet from prelims to semis (in the 200 and under events) to finals, and shows us just how highwire his 2004 and 2008 performances were.

that said, Lochte is going to win this one. Phelps will get his first ever silver medal.

more shocking is the DQ of Park (KOR) in the 400 free and Beidermann (GER) failing to qualify in the 400 as well.

I'm quite heartened to see this is not just a US-only affliction. Heh.

I saw most of Sydney through the BBC. They're all focused on "their" athletes as well. Ratings requires emotional investment for the viewer so they will tune in night after night for the drama, and it's easiest to connect with your own countryperson.

And I'm ragingly guilty of this. For 2 weeks I want The USA to win everything, everywhere, at all times, constantly and mercilessly.

And then I go back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom