London 2012 Summer Olympics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Correct :giggle:

Tell you what I just couldn't get into the 2008 games but I'm loving these ones. I watched a bit of Handball this afternoon, Norway Vs France Awesome sport.

Archery gold game down to the last shot too, which was awesome.

Axver said:
I wish the world badminton federation (whatever it's called) had let our team stick with the Black Cocks name!

Hope the Black Sticks can hold on to this lead. It's time for revenge after Australia beat us to the Commonwealth Games gold in a penalty shoot-out. Turns out we're ranked higher in the world than the Aussie team. Who knew!

I can't believe they were actually the Black Cocks. That's so great.

Correct :giggle:

Tell you what I just couldn't get into the 2008 games but I'm loving these ones. I watched a bit of Handball this afternoon, Norway Vs France Awesome sport.

Archery gold game down to the last shot too, which was awesome.

2008 was my favourite Olympics ... I think because a well-timed illness left me bedridden for about a fortnight so I watched practically all of it, and SBS had shitloads of coverage so I wasn't left furious with rage from the pisspoor efforts of Channels 7, 9, or 10.

This time around, work, Channel 9, and Australia's shitty timezone I think will keep me from seeing half as much as I'd like. Shame Foxtel costs a billion dollars.

This Olympics is already my favorite, based simply on how much more I've been able to watch.

And you guys are joking about the Black Cocks, right? :uhoh:

I don't think the time zone is too bad. Obviously I'm not getting up 5am to see Steph Rice have a sook but I can stay up to midnight and see a fair bit.

2000 was my favourite. It feels so very long ago. Obviously Sydney's time zone comparison with Melbourne helped :wink:. Plus it all happened in school holidays.

But I loved it, Roy and HG made the games for me. I got right into everything. I remember it as basically the birth of Lauren Jackson and the Opals almost beat the USA (they probably got flogged but I remember it as close.) and it was such a good run.

Didn't care much for Cathy Freeman but the Swimming with Susie (O'Neal?) and Patria Thomas with Thorpe and crazy boy Hackett was great.

And you guys are joking about the Black Cocks, right? :uhoh:

Quite serious.

I don't think the time zone is too bad. Obviously I'm not getting up 5am to see Steph Rice have a sook but I can stay up to midnight and see a fair bit.

We're normally in bed by 10pm so the timezone blows from my perspective. Morning events and that's it; not sure I'll be staying up for anything or not, especially given Nine's coverage. Rio Olympics will hopefully be better - most of the big events should be on in the mid or late morning for us.

I lol'd at Dwayne Russell doing the equestrian events. Unfortunately there was no place he could mention 'from the paint' or 'shorts it'.

Australia was a great deal more aggressive and had more shots on goal. Surprised they came up with nothing.

Our girls start their qualifying round at 8:45 am CST. So, in a little less than four and a half hours from this post. I'm gonna grab some sleep now so I can get up for it.

If you aren't all up for it and watching live I'll be completely fucking disgusted.

Team Handball is something I enjoy watching every four years. And now that I can stream full matches, I'm thrilled.

Time for the USA to hopefully teach France a valuable lesson in men's hoops.

Our girls start their qualifying round at 8:45 am CST. So, in a little less than four and a half hours from this post. I'm gonna grab some sleep now so I can get up for it.

If you aren't all up for it and watching live I'll be completely fucking disgusted.

/team mckayla maroney

and i just caught the end of the shooting. kim rhode of the usa won. did a quick google search and this is her 5th olympics and 5th medal (3rd gold!). started at 17. how freaking awesome.

surprisingly bad swim by Phelps. his time at trials (4:07) would have won him the silver easily. the 400IM is the hardest event in swimming, you can't fake it, and missing 2.5 years of solid training catches up to you. i just hope there's not more going on here -- he's still a huge favorite in the fly and in 2 of the 3 relays. speed is easier to come by than endurance, particularly as one ages. we'll see what happens.

Lochte looked fantastic. his work ethic has paid off and he earned this.

How long ago was it that he gained, and lost, 25 pounds? I was shocked by that-obviously when you've been in that kind of shape for that long and you put that kind of weight on, it's a shock to the system. When you see Ryan Lochte pushing that tire..and wasn't there another swimmer who criticized Michael's work ethic? I don't even know how old they both are. Twenty something, but I guess Michael is older.

Irvine511 said:
that simply doesn't happen. ever. in any event in swimming. i hope i'm wrong, but given Chinese doping issues in the 1990s and their questionable tactics regarding, say, the ages of female gymnasts, well ... one is skeptical. i suppose it would be great if it were real, her final 100 was shocking and beautiful and she blew by the other women as if they were floating in a bathtub.

yes, we do get privileged to once-in-a-generation time warp athletes (Phelps, Janet Evans, Mary T. Meagher, Ian Thorpe, Spitz), but ... just, well, i'm uncomfortable with it is all.

We watched it live and she was unreal in her final 100, almost comical. I wouldn't be surprised if something was amiss.

Back
Top Bottom