London 2012 Summer Olympics - Page 53 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2012, 02:35 AM   #781
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:08 AM

Old 08-12-2012, 02:56 AM   #782
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:08 AM
who is this Mary Carillo, did NBC have her under contract from SNL

Old 08-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #783
45:33

Local Time: 10:08 PM
Katie Taylor!
Old 08-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #784
45:33

Just watched the 4x100m relay... best Olympics ever. Bolt's finish was absolutely filthy.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #785
Vocal parasite

Wonder what Usain Bolt might be doing after the Olympics?

Melbourne stars chasing Bolt for Big Bash League

Aaaahahahaha.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #786
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:38 PM
Old 08-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #787
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post

Deep, the worst thing in the Olympics, to me, is 4th place. That must be gutting, especially if tenths or hundredths of a second were the difference.
Or losing a tiebreaker like happened a couple of time in gymnastics this year. Don't understand why they can't do multiple bronzes like say the high jump had.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #788
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Eh, I dunno...I think when it takes someone as ridiculously head-and-shoulders above the competition as Bolt to get people enthused about watching your sport, that probably doesn't say much for its potential audience.
The point I was trying to make is that people like to see records broken and know that the men's sprint records could potentially be broken anytime Bolt runs, but that is not the case with the women. The men's 100m record has been broken several times by several different runners over the last 25 years whereas the women's remains the same and probably will remain the same for the foreseeable future thanks to Flo-Jo's record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
It seems to me you could just as easily argue (which I wouldn't, but just for the sake of it) that if anything, he's ultimately bad for the sport, because he feeds into the layman's fantasy that greatness=being such a once-in-a-century freak of nature as to make it look positively easy, rather than merely becoming the current best through a combination of talent and gruelingly hard work. 100M records are usually a matter of shaving off a couple hundredths of a second in a race that comes down to a lean, not the visually arresting spectacle of a guy with a dramatically different build from everyone else cruising a full two-tenths of a second ahead of the pack (while visibly slowing down to showboat, and having his shoelace untied...).
Bolt puts people in the seats not just because of his ability but also because of his personality. Track & field desperately needs charismatic stars right now to keep the sport relevant.

But I understand what you're saying about Bolt possibly being bad for track in the long term. If he's putting the sprint records out of reach for other runners then what happens when he retires? Will the men's records become as unbeatable as Flo-Jo's are now for the women?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #789
Blue Crack Addict

David Boudia was amazing ripping those dives, what a performance. I was rooting for Tom Daley too, glad he got the bronze.

What Bob Costas said about Usain Bolt-spot on and finally someone on NBC was honest. I just wonder if he would have said the same thing about an American athlete. He basically said that it's hard to have a higher opinion of Usain Bolt than he has of himself. His act is tiresome, and he manages to make Le Bron et al look humble. People like him usually have a fall, not rooting for that but he needs to be taken down a few notches. A little humility wouldn't hurt.

I wish there was actually some competition in the basketball. Makes it so dull. At least Spain had the lead at one point. Maybe more than once, I haven't seen the whole thing. Of course this is more competition than any other team they've played. Bonus points for having Doc Rivers.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #790
I hate this place

Local Time: 04:08 AM
One point game at the half.

France needed a good run though to get back into it.

Hoping to get home in time to see the 4th quarter. We'll see if it's still a game by then.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #791
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
David Boudia was amazing ripping those dives, what a performance. I was rooting for Tom Daley too, glad he got the bronze.

What Bob Costas said about Usain Bolt-spot on and finally someone on NBC was honest. I just wonder if he would have said the same thing about an American athlete. He basically said that it's hard to have a higher opinion of Usain Bolt than he has of himself. His act is tiresome, and he manages to make Le Bron et al look humble. People like him usually have a fall, not rooting for that but he needs to be taken down a few notches. A little humility wouldn't hurt.

I wish there was actually some competition in the basketball. Makes it so dull. At least Spain had the lead at one point.
No, Costas would definitely not have said that about an American athlete. I'm sure it annoys him and NBC overall that, as hard as they have tried to make Michael Phelps the star of these games, the real star is Bolt.

Normally the kind of hubris Bolt displays would bother me, but it doesn't with him. Right now he has no reason to be humble. He really is the best sprinter ever and everybody knows it, including his opponents. I think if he tried to be humble it would come across as false modesty and patronizing the other runners. Plus, I think his pronouncements declaring himself a 'legend' are just another part of his performance like doing the 'royal wave' as he's introduced or clowning around with spectators and race officials. He's putting on a show and track needs that.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #792
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootomic View Post
No, Costas would definitely not have said that about an American athlete. I'm sure it annoys him and NBC overall that, as hard as they have tried to make Michael Phelps the star of these games, the real star is Bolt.

Normally the kind of hubris Bolt displays would bother me, but it doesn't with him. Right now he has no reason to be humble. He really is the best sprinter ever and everybody knows it, including his opponents. I think if he tried to be humble it would come across as kind of patronizing the other runners. Plus, I think his pronouncements declaring himself a 'legend' are just another part of his performance like doing the 'royal wave' as he's introduced or clowning around with spectators and race officials. He's putting on a show and track needs that.
Well I don't believe in one star of these Olympics or any Olympics. If NBC does, if they think they need to do that, that's just lame.

If his legend stuff is just part of his schtick, I guess I get that. But last night after he said it for the third time, that was more than enough for me. His talent should just speak for itself. If track needs a show to get more attention I think that could also backfire.

As for what Costas said, people could probably say the same about him. I still thought it was funny and a refreshingly candid moment in all of the canned coverage.

Kevin Durant-wow. LBJ cheering from the sidelines. Everything he's touched has turned to gold For a minute I thought saying you could beat the Dream Team was going to equal bad karma, but it looks like LBJ saved the day. At least that will be the NBC version of events.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #793
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
If his legend stuff is just part of his schtick, I guess I get that. But last night after he said it for the third time, that was more than enough for me. His talent should just speak for itself. If track needs a show to get more attention I think that could also backfire.
To be fair Bolt did display a teeny, tiny bit of humility during the interview with John McEnroe when he said he was honored to be mentioned in the same sentence with Jesse Owens, Muhammad Ali, and Michael Johnson. Of course, that was after he said he 'definitely' belonged with them in the discussion of greatest of all time. Baby steps!
Old 08-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #794
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootomic View Post
Plus, I think his pronouncements declaring himself a 'legend' are just another part of his performance like doing the 'royal wave' as he's introduced or clowning around with spectators and race officials. He's putting on a show and track needs that.
Agreed - he's ultimately good for the sport - both short and long term. His pronouncements are tempered by his accessibility to fans - read an article where he was guest DJ'ing at a London club until 5am.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #795
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 09:08 PM
just catching a repeat of the mens gold medal game in the handball ~ so bloody exciting! Such a mental game