London 2012 Summer Olympics - Page 50 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #736
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:14 PM
they should call it tapping or tagging

Old 08-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #737
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:14 PM
I'd happily trade in all these boring sailing medals for one bronze in the Mountain Biking over the next few days.

I'd hope Istanbul win the right to host 2020. Will reflect well on the IOC (particularly in contrast to FIFA atm) and Madrid would be hosting it too soon after Barcelona in my opinion. Tokyo would host a good games, but Istanbul breaks new territory and Turkey at least has a sporting pedigree (unlike Qatar). It's time for Turkey.

Sydney
Athens
Beijing
London
Rio
Istanbul

That spread of locations reads pretty nicely, particularly after the corruption scandals of the 1990s. Now it's FIFA who are corrupted and the IOC more sporting and respectable.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #738
45:33

Local Time: 04:14 PM
I'm trying to find a clip of The Late Show's Istanbul Olympic bid but it's not on youtube

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
Yeah but leave speed walking and ping pong.
Table tennis is awesome to watch. "Walking" is a fucking joke. The judges are like the parking inspectors of the Olympics.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #739
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
we need to expand and reflect the times we live in

gaming should be added next, it takes real endurance and skill to prevail at that

and just like the original games were a way of nation states to come together and compete in friendly war games,

wars these days are being fought with technology like gaming,
not with bows, spears (javelins) and hand to hand combat.
Kobe could pull off a unique double.

Kobe Bryant & Jimmy Kimmel in Call of Duty - YouTube
Old 08-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #740
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:14 AM
I can't help but wonder if the following is what athletes think on the medal podium:

Gold - I won!
Silver - Shit, I almost won
Bronze - Well, at least I got something
Old 08-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #741
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
He is really built for the 400 and there have been many coaches and athletics commentators who have long held that the 400 would be his best discipline if he actually ran it. Would be interesting to see, in any event. He could probably also be spectacular in the long jump - in fact there was somebody who built a computerized model based on Bolt's running speed, size, length of legs, etc and maintained that he'd be easily be the world record holder if he tried.
He split 43.58 in the 4x400 in a Jamaican meet back in 2010. You'd probably want to add 1.2 seconds or so to that for estimating his (more or less untrained) time in an open 400, but even so it's certainly suggestive of potential for greatness. He famously loathes 400 training though (who doesn't!), so my guess is he'd put seriously working on it off until he and his coach figure he's past his peak for the shorter sprints. I had read that he's expressed interest in the long jump, and he would indeed seem to have the assets for it. He'd be in some very good company expanding into either or both events, too (Carl Lewis, Jesse Owens, Michael Johnson, FloJo).

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #742

Here's a great photo of Bolt near the finish

Old 08-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #743
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:14 AM
i think they should have to play the soundtrack to "E.T." during the BMX.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #744
I hate this place

Local Time: 10:14 PM
just saw the women's 4x100. damn!
Old 08-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #745
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04
I'm trying to find a clip of The Late Show's Istanbul Olympic bid but it's not on youtube

Table tennis is awesome to watch. "Walking" is a fucking joke. The judges are like the parking inspectors of the Olympics.
all they're showing on 9 is the fecking walking it's not even good in a point and laugh way ~ just awful; my 'I'll watch anything remotely sports related' hublet is struggling with it tonight, just said he'd rather watch the diving !
Old 08-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #746
Vocal parasite

Fifth gold to New Zealand, in the women's K1 200m sprint! Can't believe how sensationally good these games have been to us. We've now got 13 medals, equal with 1988 as our largest haul ever. Shame that I don't think we've got any more medal hopes left to take it to an outright first with 14. Marc Willers would've surely been on the podium for the men's BMX if he hadn't crashed out. Stoked that Sarah Walker got the women's BMX silver yesterday, especially since she nearly didn't even make it to the Olympics after a recent injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
It looks as though Ireland will finish with our best medals tally since 1956, and possibly best ever. Which sounds great except when we discover that our total medals tally of 5 isn't so hot when compared to New Zealand's 12 medals - plus there was some element of home advantage for us, I assume. In the eight Olympic games since 1984, New Zealand have averaged almost 9 medals per games, compared to an average of just 2 for Ireland.

I think NZ is the best model for Ireland if seeking to building on our 2012 tally and set those 5 medals as the new minimum threshold benchmark, with a target of, say, 12 - we have very similar population, similar stage of economic development, are island nations somewhat in the shadow of larger (and, obnoxious and arrogant to go with it ) neighbouring island nations, culturally relatively similar, and minority sports face huge challenges in competing with massively popular field team codes - rugby for you, GAA games + soccer, and rugby in recent years also, for us.
I was just looking at Ireland's medal tallies and wow, I'm stunned to see the disparity between Ireland's results and New Zealand's - especially that Ireland got no medals at all in 2004. New Zealand's worst Olympics since our boycott of 1980 (hence zero medals, though about four or five Kiwi athletes did go and compete independently) is when we only got four in Sydney. Don't know what government investment in minority sports is like in Ireland, but we have been pouring a fair bit of money into our realistic medal chances. In fact the poor performance of our velodrome cyclists this year might prove controversial given the money invested in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I think Istanbul is almost guaranteed. No way does Tokyo get it after the winter games in South Korea and that soon after Beijing. Madrid is from a country that might need 3 bailouts before now and then so unless the Germans want to pay for those Olympics, don't see it happening.
Agree with this and I think it'd be great for the Olympics to be held in Istanbul. Though I'd like Tokyo just for my own timezone convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
"Walking" is a fucking joke. The judges are like the parking inspectors of the Olympics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Here's a great photo of Bolt near the finish

... oh god!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #747
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplereign View Post
all they're showing on 9 is the fecking walking it's not even good in a point and laugh way ~ just awful; my 'I'll watch anything remotely sports related' hublet is struggling with it tonight, just said he'd rather watch the diving !
Wish they'd stop chopping between the walking and diving - the diving's actually entertaining. Thank god Sydney vs Collingwood just began, so I could flee Channel 9.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #748

Jason Byrne put it best - "you know the Olympics are nearly over when they start showing the silly walk event"
Old 08-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #749
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver

Wish they'd stop chopping between the walking and diving - the diving's actually entertaining. Thank god Sydney vs Collingwood just began, so I could flee Channel 9.
true true! quietly devastated for Matthew Mitcham, he's just such a lovely guy. Le sigh

< time to hit the hay; opals vs rus at 2am and I want in!
Old 08-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #750

Man. Gutted for Mitcham