London 2012 Summer Olympics - Page 34 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #496
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:52 AM
wow

Korea eliminates GB 5-4 on penalty kicks

Old 08-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #497
I hate this place

Local Time: 05:52 AM
wonder if that lame stutter step cost him.

just run right through and knock the shit out of it

Old 08-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #498
Blue Crack Addict

that's what they will say

i think the Korean goalie deserves credit
Old 08-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #499
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:52 PM
I wonder if the debate about Shiwen's results would come up if she wasn't Chinese. Guess not - Ledecky, anyone ?

Now we can finally move on from "greatest Olympian" hype with the end if swimming matches and bring on track and field.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #500
Blue Crack Addict

they're both crack whores

I do think there is bias, the American girl obviously got better drugs than the Chinese girl, she shaved even more time, faster.

Quote:
In a sport where competitors spend years trying to shave fractions of seconds off their personal best (PB) times, Ledecky has been hacking off large chunks, more than 11 seconds this month.

At the U.S. Olympic Trials earlier this month, Ledecky carved more than five seconds off her PB to make the team for London. She reduced it by more than another five seconds on Friday to win the Olympic gold.

"(I've) just progressively set short term goals and long term goals," she said.

"I just have been dropping time progressively and just going to some big meets and having some good races and I've been able to get down to where I am here."

While her time was outstanding, her timing was awful.

Earlier this week, an American coach, not involved with the team or U.S. Swimming, accused China's Ye Shiwen of doping when she won the 400 individual medley gold medal, saying her rapid improve, which was less dramatic than Ledecky's, was a sign she cheated.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #501
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Watching the Men's 10,000 meters and shockinly the USA has a contender. Seriously. Oregon Duck Galen Rupp is in the lead pack.

ETA He finished 2nd! I think that's the first medal we've had there in a very long time. So happy to see Mo Farrah of Great Britain win Gold. What a great night for British Track and Field. Gold in Heptathlon, Gold in Men's Long Jump and Gold in the 10,000 meters. Awesome!
Yes, that was a great evening of track & field. An amazing night for Great Britain (will probably take some of the sting out of the soccer loss), an end to the Ethiopian 10,000 meter domination, and a great women's 100M final to finish it off. I enjoyed the moment at the end when the fans were waiting for the heptathlon medal ceremony and they were singing along to 'All You Need Is Love' being played in the stadium. The camera was scanning the fans and then suddenly there was Paul McCartney sitting in the stands singing along with his own song. So random.

They're saying the track is fast so I can't wait for the men's 100M tomorrow. Hope it doesn't rain.

Of course, NBC will take this great night of track & field and hack it all up for tonight's broadcast. Gotta make it all about freaking Phelps one more time. Deadspin is running a daily tracker of the number of mentions each athlete gets on NBC. I'd be willing to bet Phelps will get more mentions tonight than all the track & field winners combined.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #502
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
This is the most fun looking sport since short track speed skating.
Seriously, trampolining is awesome. I wish I'd known it was a legit sport when I was little - I'd have never got off my trampoline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootomic View Post
Despite all the positives that would have resulted had NYC won the bid, I'm happy that London got it because I am enjoying the venues: tennis at Wimbledon; cycling time trials at Henry VIII's castle complete with thrones for the top three; rowing at Eton with packed grandstands on both sides; beach vollyball being improbably held at Horse Guard's Parade; the triathlon at Hyde Park; shooting at the Royal Artillery Barracks. It gives all the outdoor events great, historic visuals.
Agreed, the venues are fantastic. Plus, as much as Headache obviously loves his NYC, a third US Olympics in less than thirty years? Let's share it around a bit more ... even if London has had it twice already. At least you have to be about seventy years of age to remember just one of those (though I was hoping somewhere new might get it back in 2005 when it went to the vote).

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #503
45:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Enjoying the moment after years upon years of copping it from you lot! Oh I like watching Australia suffer in their boots, especially with the desperate "Team Oceania" drivel on The Age right now.

But I wouldn't say this bragging "flies in the face" of my stance at all. After Mahé Drysdale's gold, my favourite Kiwi medal of this Games so far is the bronze our equestrian team won in the three-day event. Massive, massive effort; Andrew Nicholson was just perfect in the cross-country and showjumping after copping an unfavourable call in the dressage, and Mark Todd is pretty much a god amongst mere mortals. And while Australia's sulking about silvers and bronzes, I'm pretty sure the equestrian team's still partying hard. Apparently they threw one hell of a celebration that night anyway!
Oh please tell me they didn't run with Team Oceania
Old 08-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #504
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
wow

Korea eliminates GB 5-4 on penalty kicks
You are aware of England's historical record on penalties, right?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:21 AM   #505
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
I'm not a swimming expert, but Lochte's overall time was 23 seconds faster than Ye's. Ye also won the 200 IM by less than a second over than the 2nd place finisher, and the 400 IM by under 3 seconds over the 2nd place finisher.

right, and it's his overall 23 seconds of victory that make his slower-than-hers last 100m so weird.

her overall time isn't out of the question, just like Ledecky's overall time isn't out of the question. it's that unreal last 100 that's so strange. she was about a second behind Beisel going into the last 100 and beat her by 3 seconds. did she not try for the first 300m?

it's strange. that's all i'm saying.

and, in comparison, Sun Yang obliterated everyone in the men's 1500 and crushed his world record. but NO ONE things Sun Yang is doing anything remiss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootomic View Post
It is certainly possible that China may have come up with a new PED that is not being tested for by the IOC. But if that were the case why wouldn't they have more swimmers getting crazy results at these games? Would they really just use Ye as some kind of test subject and take the chance that the IOC won't discover their new enhancement before the next Olympics? Knowing the importance that China places on Olympic success it just doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't go for as many golds as they can get right now.

this is a good point. i think what also happened to Ye was that her swim was on the first day of the meet. and i think many people who have followed swimming got the feeling that, "oh no, here we go again ..." and we were about to see a series of unbelievable times like the GDR in the 70s and 80s and like China in the early 1990s (especially the world championships in 1994).

that didn't turn out to be the case. China had a good meet, but a meet on par with how they've done in the past. their superstar Sun Yang delivered, and they've gradually become more and more competitive. it does feel legit for a country that was nowhere in the pool until 1992 (and the arrival of the GDR coaches after the fall of the Berlin Wall).

Quote:
The IOC has stated that she passed the doping tests so, until proven otherwise, she's clean.
agreed.

the sad caveat, tough, is that no GDR swimmer ever failed a drug test. China has failed over 40 the past 20 years (i think, i'd have to double check the numbers).

Quote:
Oscar Pistorius for the win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
John Tesh was no better!
i'm glad i have no memory of this. i'm sure it was awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I like how NBC, on a night with no gymnastics, shows a 30-minute retrospective of Kerri Strug and the 1996 women's team. Not like there was anything else going on.
she lives in my general area. i saw her in the frozen foods section of Safeway. i did some polite stalking, just to confirm, and she shot me a weird look. i stayed away after that.

Quote:
So the swimming is over. And The US won gold in both Medley Relays which was to be expected. The US Women obliterated the field as you would assume. They broke the world record and have 12 gold medals amongst them. Unreal meet for the US.
this was by far the best US team since i started seriously followed swimming as a 10 year old in 1988. a lot of that is due to the Phelps Effect -- though he's probably depressed times for the men temporarily (because he's been unbeatable for a decade), his overall effect on the sport will be enormously positive. what i've loved about him was that he always stated that his overall goal was to raise the profile of swimming. it will never be baseball, it may never even be track, but because of him NBC now shows Worlds and even Senior Nationals. that hasn't happened before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplereign View Post
it was extraordinary to watch them ~ extraordinary! Fantastic way for Phelps to end his career and an amazing way to herald what will undoubtedly be an incredible era for US women's swim team.
the US women are a force. so much depth, and so many teenagers on the way. it's very exciting.

Quote:
I'm thrilled that the Aussies managed a medal for Liesel in her final Olympics ~ it has been a joy to watch her just revelling in the 'being there'. And for the Aussie boys ~ hopefully the fact that they fought back and medalled in that last relay will give them a new found focus . . . I'm excited for 2016 already!
i have an affection for Aussie swimming. any country that loves (and then hates) it's swimmers like that is a-ok in my book, and their history is formidable. they can come up with depth and superstars. no doubt lots of athletic Aussie talent winds up in the pool, and i greatly respect that (there seemed to be a shocking amount of 50m swimming pools per capita in Sydney ... i was jealous) and so i hope they do recover from what has been, quite honestly, a rather disastrous Olympics.

and i look forward to 4 years of Magnussen vs. Adrian battles in the sprints. could be a fantastic rivalry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2girl View Post
I wonder if the debate about Shiwen's results would come up if she wasn't Chinese. Guess not - Ledecky, anyone ?
i've fully addressed this earlier. i suppose the Chinese swimmer just got lucky, you know, like Lezak in 2008.

Quote:
Now we can finally move on from "greatest Olympian" hype with the end if swimming matches and bring on track and field.
agreed. it's all settled now. i'm ready for track as well.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:40 AM   #506
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:52 PM
Quote:
Watching the Men's 10,000 meters and shockinly the USA has a contender. Seriously. Oregon Duck Galen Rupp is in the lead pack.

ETA He finished 2nd! I think that's the first medal we've had there in a very long time. So happy to see Mo Farrah of Great Britain win Gold. What a great night for British Track and Field.
That made my weekend watching the two of them kick it away from the pack at the end and celebrate together! Both under 54 seconds on that final lap. For me personally, that will probably be the most memorable image from this Olympics:

I also got a bit of a thrill out of seeing their coach, the American former marathoner Alberto Salazar (Farah and Rupp train together in Oregon and are close friends), celebrating in the stands...I used to have a poster of Salazar setting a world record at the 1981 NYC Marathon up on my wall, back when I was in fifth grade and starting out in cross country. Such a shame, he destroyed his own great potential before he even hit 25 through extreme overtraining, and has devoted much of his coaching career to teaching distance runners how NOT to wind up badly injured. Today had to have been a lifetime highlight for him, too--for sure, he's gonna be getting a lot of interest in his training methods after challenging decades of East African teams' domination in this event.

And as you said, great day for British track and field in general.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:45 AM   #507
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland
That made my weekend watching the two of them kick it away from the pack at the end and celebrate together! Both under 54 seconds on that final lap. For me personally, that will probably be the most memorable image from this Olympics:.
I watched that race, that was awesome afterwards as well
Old 08-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #508
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
After Mahé Drysdale's gold, my favourite Kiwi medal of this Games so far is the bronze our equestrian team won in the three-day event. Massive, massive effort; Andrew Nicholson was just perfect in the cross-country and showjumping after copping an unfavourable call in the dressage, and Mark Todd is pretty much a god amongst mere mortals. And while Australia's sulking about silvers and bronzes, I'm pretty sure the equestrian team's still partying hard. Apparently they threw one hell of a celebration that night anyway!
I saw Mark Todd (and also Andrew Hoy from Australia) compete in the World Three Day Event Championships in 1978. Kinda cool to see some of the same names 34 years later.

Also kind of cool that my mom took us out of school for a few days so we could go see it.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #509
I hate this place

Local Time: 05:52 AM
got up at about 330 to watch the marathon. going to be an exciting last 5 miles

men's tennis final in less than an hour: go andy murray!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #510
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:22 PM
Women's marathon was great watching. Gelana is incredible.