London 2012 Summer Olympics - Page 33 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #481
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words

Agreed with all of this. I think they're of two minds over there right now. For whatever it's worth, this is their first Olympics in ages (actually, maybe ever since ABC had it for so long prior to NBC) without Dick Ebersol fully in charge, so, I think they're living and learning in many ways. Their streaming product is an unqualified hit so there's that.
Yeah, just the fact that they have adjusted their weekend daytime coverage is heartening. I can forgive the prime time tape delay since the online streaming option is fantastic. Now if we can just get Shannon Miller to do their gymnastics commentary, that would be great.

Also, having caught a bit of the BBC One coverage, which is excellent but centered on British athletes, can understand NBC's coverage better.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #482
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
anyway, to preempt a bit on the inevitable conversation, there are going to be questions regarding Katie Ledecky in light of Ye Shiwin.

here's the difference, for me. Ledecky has improved dramatically over past year. and no surprise, she's 15 years old. Ye's improvement at age 16 is also not unexpected. Ye improved by 5 seconds over a 400m race, Ledecky by 5 seconds over an 800m race, though by about 15 seconds over the past year.

so why does it look like, to me, that Ye's swim is more suspicious? because Ledecky's swim was totally consistent with how people have always swum, whereas Ye's final split simply doesn't make sense in context. Ledecky's finally 100 won't be faster than the likely winner of the men's 1500 (China's Sun Yang) whereas Ye was faster than Lochte and half the men in the same event (the women swim the 800 not the 1500, but expect that to change in Rio where they both swim the 1500, as it should be).

perhaps i am biased, which i think we all are naturally, but China has a long history of doping in swimming (40-ish drug busts since the early 1990s) whereas USA swimming has had a few (Angel Martino, who did cheat; Jessica Hardy who proved that she had taken something mistakenly as part of a supplement) and there was some suspicions around Misty Hymen who beat Susie O'Neill back in 2000 in the 200 fly with a similar huge time drop. Dara Torres acknowledged the inevitable head on. Phelps gets drug tested up to 3x a week. and it just seems impossible to me at a 15 year old who lives 15 minutes from me up in Bethesda (and swims for one of the best age group clubs in the US) and is going to be a sophomore and was only a year ago probably not thinking about the Olympics would be able to find some EPO or synthetic testosterone in the way that a swimmer like Ye, who was identified and put in a state sport school at an early age, would be.

but that's how it goes. no GDR swimmer ever failed a drug test. Ye's strokes are gorgeous and balanced. my issue with her is not her time (she broke what was a great, suit-assisted WR whereas Ledecky didn't break another great, suit-assisted WR) but the strangeness of her final 100m.
It is certainly possible that China may have come up with a new PED that is not being tested for by the IOC. But if that were the case why wouldn't they have more swimmers getting crazy results at these games? Would they really just use Ye as some kind of test subject and take the chance that the IOC won't discover their new enhancement before the next Olympics? Knowing the importance that China places on Olympic success it just doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't go for as many golds as they can get right now.

Personally, I just find it a bit distasteful for athletes and coaches and commentators from the country that is dominating the swimming events to be spreading suspicions that one of the few swimmers they can't beat is doping. It's like the US contingent won't be happy until they are winning every single swim. The IOC has stated that she passed the doping tests so, until proven otherwise, she's clean.

Oscar Pistorius for the win!

Old 08-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #483
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Honest answer? Jim Dolan.

He was afraid that a stadium n the west side of Manhattan would steal business from Madison Square Garden. So he spent millions of dollars protesting the stadium, eventually torpedoing the entire thing. The backup plan was to build the Olympic Stadium in Queens. Didn't have quite the same allure to it, and they had to rush the plan together. So New York looked unprepared... and London won.

So thanks to Jim Dolan's protests...

- there is no West Side Stadium
- New York didn't get the Olympics
- the Jets had to go back to being stadium partners with the Giants
- the original plan for a retro style brick stadium for the Giants was scrapped in favor of the generic monstrosity you see today
- the real estate development of the west aide yards in Manhattan and the Willets Point section of Queens stalled, and to date has yet to see a shovel in the ground
- the Knicks still suck
Despite all the positives that would have resulted had NYC won the bid, I'm happy that London got it because I am enjoying the venues: tennis at Wimbledon; cycling time trials at Henry VIII's castle complete with thrones for the top three; rowing at Eton with packed grandstands on both sides; beach vollyball being improbably held at Horse Guard's Parade; the triathlon at Hyde Park; shooting at the Royal Artillery Barracks. It gives all the outdoor events great, historic visuals.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #484
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

I think the gymnastics commentary with the "Fab Five" and their "awakening to dreams of gold/could the judge's scores be golden?/any sentence with the word GOLD in it" is the most barfy. I want to slap whoever writes the track for Al Trautwig.

John Tesh was no better!
Old 08-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #485
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:01 AM
Here's a good article that I feel rightfully criticizes the NBC gymnastics commentators:

Fake, Jingoistic, And Stupid: Gymnastics Coverage Is The Worst Part Of NBC's Olympics
Old 08-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #486
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Gutted for Honduras football. Ugh.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #487
Blue Crack Distributor

I randomly caught that 15 year old's race last night, and was glad I did. Holy crap!

I like how NBC, on a night with no gymnastics, shows a 30-minute retrospective of Kerri Strug and the 1996 women's team. Not like there was anything else going on.

(Yes, I watched it and got a little teary-eyed. I'm not made of stone!)
Old 08-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #488
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:01 AM
What I most like about Kerri Strug's triumph was that she had spent years being overshadowed by other US gymnasts. She was so eager to be a star gymnast in America and always said so in interviews. When 1996 came around, it seemed that wasn't going to happen to her. But then she did that vault and now she's a legend.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #489
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

So the swimming is over. And

The US won gold in both Medley Relays which was to be expected. The US Women obliterated the field as you would assume. They broke the world record and have 12 gold medals amongst them. Unreal meet for the US.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #490
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Kromowidjojo won her second gold medal for the Netherlands tonight (50 m freestyle). Well done! And Marleen Veldhuis won bronze in the same race. I'm so happy for her, winning her first individual medal in her final race (she has won several with in the relay disciplines).

Old 08-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #491
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
So the swimming is over. And

The US won gold in both Medley Relays which was to be expected. The US Women obliterated the field as you would assume. They broke the world record and have 12 gold medals amongst them. Unreal meet for the US.

it was extraordinary to watch them ~ extraordinary! Fantastic way for Phelps to end his career and an amazing way to herald what will undoubtedly be an incredible era for US women's swim team.

I'm thrilled that the Aussies managed a medal for Liesel in her final Olympics ~ it has been a joy to watch her just revelling in the 'being there'. And for the Aussie boys ~ hopefully the fact that they fought back and medalled in that last relay will give them a new found focus . . . I'm excited for 2016 already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
Kromowidjojo won her second gold medal for the Netherlands tonight (50 m freestyle). Well done! And Marleen Veldhuis won bronze in the same race. I'm so happy for her, winning her first individual medal in her final race (she has won several with in the relay disciplines).

I only managed to catch that on the replay - got a little sidetracked with, I don't know, EVERYTHING ELSE THAT IS ON! . . . it was a fantastic race; I love the sprint because it really is a leveller in that it can be anyone's race!

Now it's back to the basketball . . . come.on.boomers ~ fight harder!
Old 08-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #492
I hate this place

Local Time: 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99
So the swimming is over. And * SPOILER *

#Dreamteam
Old 08-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #493
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Watching the Men's 10,000 meters and shockinly the USA has a contender. Seriously. Oregon Duck Galen Rupp is in the lead pack.

ETA He finished 2nd! I think that's the first medal we've had there in a very long time. So happy to see Mo Farrah of Great Britain win Gold. What a great night for British Track and Field. Gold in Heptathlon, Gold in Men's Long Jump and Gold in the 10,000 meters. Awesome!
Old 08-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #494
I hate this place

Local Time: 04:01 AM
damnit all to hell. totally forgot nbc was holding the women's 100m final until prime time. i kept waiting for it and missed it.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #495
Blue Crack Addict

penalty kicks

for Korea - GB