London 2012 Summer Olympics - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #451
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:12 AM
New Zealand #1 on the medal table when weighted for population.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #452
45:33

All this bragging flies in the face of your silver-and-bronze-are-great-too stance we're ranked ninth by total medals, you are waaaaay down!

Old 08-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #453
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
All this bragging flies in the face of your silver-and-bronze-are-great-too stance we're ranked ninth by total medals, you are waaaaay down!
Enjoying the moment after years upon years of copping it from you lot! Oh I like watching Australia suffer in their boots, especially with the desperate "Team Oceania" drivel on The Age right now.

But I wouldn't say this bragging "flies in the face" of my stance at all. After Mahé Drysdale's gold, my favourite Kiwi medal of this Games so far is the bronze our equestrian team won in the three-day event. Massive, massive effort; Andrew Nicholson was just perfect in the cross-country and showjumping after copping an unfavourable call in the dressage, and Mark Todd is pretty much a god amongst mere mortals. And while Australia's sulking about silvers and bronzes, I'm pretty sure the equestrian team's still partying hard. Apparently they threw one hell of a celebration that night anyway!

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #454
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
New Zealand #1 on the medal table when weighted for population.

when weighted for population, where is Michael Phelps?
Old 08-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #455
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
when weighted for population, where is Michael Phelps?
Left this planet behind.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #456
Blue Crack Supplier

anyway, to preempt a bit on the inevitable conversation, there are going to be questions regarding Katie Ledecky in light of Ye Shiwin.

here's the difference, for me. Ledecky has improved dramatically over past year. and no surprise, she's 15 years old. Ye's improvement at age 16 is also not unexpected. Ye improved by 5 seconds over a 400m race, Ledecky by 5 seconds over an 800m race, though by about 15 seconds over the past year.

so why does it look like, to me, that Ye's swim is more suspicious? because Ledecky's swim was totally consistent with how people have always swum, whereas Ye's final split simply doesn't make sense in context. Ledecky's finally 100 won't be faster than the likely winner of the men's 1500 (China's Sun Yang) whereas Ye was faster than Lochte and half the men in the same event (the women swim the 800 not the 1500, but expect that to change in Rio where they both swim the 1500, as it should be).

perhaps i am biased, which i think we all are naturally, but China has a long history of doping in swimming (40-ish drug busts since the early 1990s) whereas USA swimming has had a few (Angel Martino, who did cheat; Jessica Hardy who proved that she had taken something mistakenly as part of a supplement) and there was some suspicions around Misty Hymen who beat Susie O'Neill back in 2000 in the 200 fly with a similar huge time drop. Dara Torres acknowledged the inevitable head on. Phelps gets drug tested up to 3x a week. and it just seems impossible to me at a 15 year old who lives 15 minutes from me up in Bethesda (and swims for one of the best age group clubs in the US) and is going to be a sophomore and was only a year ago probably not thinking about the Olympics would be able to find some EPO or synthetic testosterone in the way that a swimmer like Ye, who was identified and put in a state sport school at an early age, would be.

but that's how it goes. no GDR swimmer ever failed a drug test. Ye's strokes are gorgeous and balanced. my issue with her is not her time (she broke what was a great, suit-assisted WR whereas Ledecky didn't break another great, suit-assisted WR) but the strangeness of her final 100m.

anyway ... fucking fantastic meet. notable for the end of Phelps and his powerful rebound, the new era of swimming (Franklin, Le Clos, Ledecky, and, yes, Ye), the falling of the favorites (Cielo, Adlington, Lochte, Magnussen), and probably the best Team USA performance since 1976 (i don't count 1984).

and thank you to everyone who bothers to read my blathering about swimming. i rarely get to feel like i know anything about any sports -- i pretty much don't care about *any* professional sports -- and so i appreciate having a space to write about it.

also, i anticipate Phelps will return in 2016 for the 100 fly. he'll get bored in Baltimore. believe me, i know. i've been there. and when you have more gold medals than Argentina, what else are you going to do with your time?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #457
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:12 AM
I agree. I'm suspicious of the Chinese swim program because of their history. I'm just as suspicious of US Track and Field.

I continue to love Franklin and wonder whether she will end up competing in the NCAA. The endorsement money will be hard to turn down.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:06 AM   #458
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
New band name for you. "Alex Morgan's Knee".

Irvine, you don't need to apologize for gushing about anything, let alone Phelps. The only reason I hope he really does retire from Olympic competition is because I'm sick of seeing his Mom and sisters. Even when dude's on the fucking medal stand, they cut to his Mom a bunch of times. Just stop it.

And, Romero, I've actually televised Conference NCAA VB for years and years. It never rates all that well, unfortunately.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:10 AM   #459
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh shit, Trampoline action.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #460
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
also, i anticipate Phelps will return in 2016 for the 100 fly. he'll get bored in Baltimore. believe me, i know. i've been there. and when you have more gold medals than Argentina, what else are you going to do with your time?
Smoke pot and play poker? I've heard he's a regular at the poker room in Charles Town, WV. I've never seen him there though (I go there maybe 1-2x a month).
Old 08-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #461
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:12 PM
I've watched more rowing at these Olympics than I have in my entire life - not that I'm complaining! I'm getting fed up though with the delusional commentating on Channel 9.

Aussies are positioned perfectly!
Aussies are lifting!
Aussies are making a move!

Um no sorry, I'm not blind, I can see the stupid boats and they're not lifting.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #462
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracene View Post
Aussies are positioned perfectly!
Aussies are lifting!
Aussies are making a move!
Aussies are in the house tonight for Big Brother!

Channel 9's asinine commentary and its equally asinine ads are now just starting to blur for me.

Another bronze today to the Kiwi rowers, taking our haul at Eton Dorney to 3 gold and 2 bronze. Absolutely stoked; it's easily our best performance in the rowing. Mahé Drysdale probably won't be back in 2016, but I'm looking forward to Cohen & Sullivan and Bond & Murray defending their golds in Rio.

Some of the track and field has already been quite exciting. Curse Channel 9 for only showing about two seconds of the pole vault so far, but still, I'll take what I can get!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #463
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Good lord, just watched Serena steamroll Sharapova 6-0, 6-1. Serena has to play a doubles match later, so I guess she was trying to dispatch Sharapova without breaking a sweat.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #464
I hate this place

Local Time: 09:12 AM
so glad nbc decided to pull their heads out of their asses this weekend:

Olympics: NBC’s Daytime Coverage Saturday and Sunday Will Air Live in All Time Zones | Sports Media Watch
Old 08-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #465
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
Good lord, just watched Serena steamroll Sharapova 6-0, 6-1. Serena has to play a doubles match later, so I guess she was trying to dispatch Sharapova without breaking a sweat.
Yeah that usually happens when these two meet yet Serena loses a set to fucking Radwanska in the Wimbledon final.