London 2012 Summer Olympics - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #331
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:49 AM
Saw one of the Russian girls today with really hideously ugly, sparkly hair clips that were shaped like hearts.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #332
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Matt Grevers. he is 6'8".
That man was born for backstroke. I remember in my swimming days going to a camp at Stanford and being mesmerized watching Jeff Rouse practice. That was when they let the backstrokers spend nearly the entire race under water.

I however was not born for backstroke as I topped out at 5'4".

Quote:
i think this is my new motto in life:
i have no doubts that Lochte is dumb as a rock. i think Ricky Berens said something like, "the thing with Phelps is that he thinks too much, the thing with Ryan is that he doesn't think at all." he makes Phelps look professorial, which, um, is hard to do.
I do not doubt that. He's got a fun personality though, there's that.

Everyone in my office was watching the Women's Gymnastics final. Balance beam always gives me a heart attack. I felt bad for the Russians, but I honestly think the Americans would have won even without the Russian disaster on Floor. The US was flawless today. Lastly, Jordyn Weiber could teach some much older athletes about how to deal with a little disappointment. SHe was great today.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #333
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 08:49 PM
with the time zone whackery I haven't been able to catch the gymnastics - and stupid free to air here is so focused on the aussie contigent that if they ain't in it they won't show it . . . hoping to use this weekend to catch up as the gymnastics, daggy eyeshadow, glittery clips and all has always been a favourite
Old 07-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #334
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 08:49 PM

is there even anyone else in the water with the USA in this relay - wow!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #335
I hate this place

Local Time: 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl
Some American gymnasts had artistry. Shannon Miller comes to mind, though her music was irritating (she used one piece for about three years, and in Atlanta, she had violin music that sounded like it was dying an agonizing death).
dominique moceanu used devil went down to georgia for so long that can post which song she used on a discussion board

katherine mcphee and her somewhere over the rainbow thinks dominique used devil went down to georgia too much.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #336
Refugee

Good support by the English fans for the GB Women's Soccer/Football team with over 70,000 fans today against Brazil. Quarterfinal time, If GB beats Canada and USA beats New Zealand it will be USA vs. Great Britain in the Semi-finals, in Old Trafford. Would be fun to watch USA having to beat the creators of the sport on their home soil if they want a shot at a 4th gold medal.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #337
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
ITA. So glad somebody else feels the same way.

I have to admit (at the risk of being flogged) that I historically haven't liked watching the US women's gymnastics team and this is part of the reason why. Oftentimes they are by far the best athletes in the arena - they tumble like it's nobody's business, all power on the vault, for example, but just no artistry, no creativity in presentation. Since the new scoring system was brought in, the other teams have essentially followed their lead and now all we have is athleticism without anything extra. I liked the extra. Oh well, what can you do.

Can't wait for athletics to kick off on Friday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Some American gymnasts had artistry. Shannon Miller comes to mind, though her music was irritating (she used one piece for about three years, and in Atlanta, she had violin music that sounded like it was dying an agonizing death).

At the risk of being flogged myself, I always prefered the Russian gymnasts on the floor. I always found them to be so graceful and their music pleasant to listen to. The Romanians had OK music, but poor dancing.
I will not stand idly by while Nastia Liukin and Sandra Izbasa are slandered in this manner.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #338
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
I will not stand idly by while Nastia Liukin and Sandra Izbasa are slandered in this manner.
Yes, they actually dance on the floor. But its minimal compared to say, Svetlana Boginskaya, Svetlana Khorkina and Lilia Podkapayeva. Gymnastics today requires a lot more tumbling than in the 1990s.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #339
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:49 PM
Pissed off I haven't been able to see any gymnastics yet. Rather enjoy most of it, except the floor routine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
It was exciting to see Great Britain win the silver in men's team gymnastics. Of course the only reason NBC showed it is because the American team fell apart. We also had endless shots of William and Harry cheering them on-not opposed to that really (especially Harry because he's just so cute) but it's as if they think that's the only way to keep us interested in a non US team.
I was amused that the BBC feed I watched online barely mentioned Zara Phillips and focused mainly on the stories behind the other riders, while whenever the Aussie TV coverage crossed to the equestrian, they were all "zomg ZARAAAA royuulll famuhlliieeee fapfapfap".

Quote:
it's not like Lochte coasted the free in the IM, he swam it well, and it was a typical, expected split in line with his other competitors. Ye's split was out of this world, and i believe i've seen that the fastest previous final 100 split was Stephanie Rice in 2008 who came back in 1:00.9, which was considered insanely good at the time (and was suit-assisted).
Ah right, thanks for that explanation, it's good to hear from somebody who actually has an idea of what they're talking about.

Are we likely to have any solid information from a drug test soon, or are we going to have to put up with aimless speculation and innuendo for the time being?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Glad to see the good ol' PRK kicking ass.
I'm very, very amused by North Korea and Kazakhstan being ahead of Australia on the medal tally right now. Much more interesting than watching the US and China fight it out for who can return with the biggest bag of medals. Sorry to the American contingent on this forum, but it's kind of boring watching medal after medal just go to the US or China (even if their medals per capita isn't that impressive). Love watching some of the underdogs and little countries succeed.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #340
45:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver
Sorry to the American contingent on this forum, but it's kind of boring watching medal after medal just go to the US or China (even if their medals per capita isn't that impressive). Love watching some of the underdogs and little countries succeed.
YOU WlLL BOW TO OUR OVERLORDS
Old 07-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #341
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
YOU WlLL BOW TO OUR OVERLORDS
I thought our overlords were the Right Holy GREEN 'N' GOLD COME ON AUSSIE COME ON Swimming Deities?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #342
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post

Are we likely to have any solid information from a drug test soon, or are we going to have to put up with aimless speculation and innuendo for the time being?
It's my understanding that the IOC has already cleared her (saying her tests were clean).
Old 07-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #343
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:49 AM
That's what Brian Williams told me on NBC Nightly News a little while ago. I left it on during their spoiler-warning-filled update, because that's how I roll.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #344
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Svetlana Boginskaya, Svetlana Khorkina and Lilia Podkapayeva. .
Say that 5 times fast.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:16 PM   #345
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The theme for this year's Olympics seems to be underwhelming performances by the favorites.