London 2012 Summer Olympics - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #271
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:12 AM
Missy Franklin can get it.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #272
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:12 AM
MlSSY!

Old 07-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #273
The Male

Local Time: 09:12 AM
So, is Shiwen doping or what? I don't know enough about Olympic records to claim that a 5 second improvement on a previous best/topping the world record by a full second is impossible, but it's insane in any case.

My cynicism tells me they're ALL doping, which is probably right. Nonetheless.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #274
45:33

Local Time: 04:12 AM
Every time a Chinese swimmer does well allegations of drugs/doping comes out. Stephanie Rice knocked six seconds off a PB in 08.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #275
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon
So, is Shiwen doping or what? I don't know enough about Olympic records to claim that a 5 second improvement on a previous best/topping the world record by a full second is impossible, but it's insane in any case.

The fact that her freestyle split in the 400 IM was as fast as Lochte, certainly raised my suspicions given
Their previous infractions. However, that much of a drop isn't completely unheard of so I will believe she is clean.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #276
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Every time a Chinese swimmer does well allegations of drugs/doping comes out. Stephanie Rice knocked six seconds off a PB in 08.
That's because of their history. Chinese swimmers were caught doping en masse at the world championships in 1994 and 1998. 27 athletes were cut before the start of the Sydney games in 2000. There was a huge dropoff in Chinese dominance following those scandals, and now they're back on top. It's not exactly derp racism derp derp to raise eyebrows in this one instance. That's nothing to say about assumptions, but it would be naive not to question.

I really just can't get my head around the idea of a little 16 year old girl being faster in the water than Ryan Lochte. His wingspan alone should give him several seconds on her.

Now.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 AM   #277
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I really just can't get my head around the idea of a little 16 year old girl being faster in the water than Ryan Lochte. His wingspan alone should give him several seconds on her.
I don't really have an opinion on this - especially since so many people passing swift judgement aren't exactly in informed positions to know, and I know I'm not either - but I thought this article made a good point on the Lochte comparison:

Quote:
It was a barnstormer of a swim. 'Faster than Lochte' headlines flashed around the world and, suddenly, a 16-year-old girl was quicker than a full-grown US superman. It's juicy and accurate, to a point. But surgically removing one stat from a 400m swimming race and seizing upon it has warped perceptions and conclusion.

That freestyle leg was dazzling but Ye isn't faster than Lochte. Not even close. Lochte's winning time in the men's 400m IM was 4.05.18, compared to Ye's 4.28.43. That's a difference of 23.25 seconds. And Lochte's lead-off relay sprint for the US men's team was 47.89, a number to which Ye couldn't get close despite being a gun freestyler.

The manner in which the races were swum adds another layer. Lochte had the race in hand by the time he turned on the freestyle leg. His other three strokes were good enough to give him a gold-medal lead and there was no clear and present danger ranging up on either side.

Ye had to hit the burners to motor past Beisel. She turned more than a body length behind and had to push with everything she had to catch the American. By the time she did that, it must have been clear a world record was within reach and she drove it home with Black Caviar authority. In any case, four other male swimmers did beat Ye's freestyle split.
And while I'm posting links, now this is admirable sportsmanship from a couple of Pommie divers: Daley sticks by partner after disappointment | Stuff.co.nz

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:19 AM   #278
The Male

Thanks for that article, Ax. Offers a different perspective, which is essential for me since I don't know what I'm talking about really.

Now.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:25 AM   #279
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Missy Franklin is so endearing. The piece NBC did on her was very good. Once she finally decides to go pro, she will do very well endorsement wise.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:25 AM   #280
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Thanks for that article, Ax. Offers a different perspective, which is essential for me since I don't know what I'm talking about really.
Yeah, it's one of the few articles I've seen that has a bit more depth to it than "overly good performance is overly good; she be dopin'!" or "lol u racist hippocrite, just 'cause she's Chinese".

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:29 AM   #281

Oh I'm fully aware of their history. Just saying.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:26 AM   #282

I love these memes.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:42 AM   #283
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon

It's not her overall improvement that's freaky, it's that her last 100 was faster than most of the men in the exact same event, and her last 50 was faster than Lochte.

She's no doping. Her coaches and the government might be doping her.

I generally think swimming is as clean as it gets, which is to say that it's not clean, but it is rare for someone to fail a drug test. Unless you're a Chinese female and you get caught with viles of HGH stuffed in a teddy bear after the 1998 Worlds in Perth. Steroids were rampantly used by the GDR, but they make men too big to swim fast. Hence, fast women and average men (GDR and China to a lesser extent). Today I assume it's HGH and EPO.

Something was up with that final 100. It's shocking.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:46 AM   #284
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04
Yes, but all her splits were in context, whereas it was Ye's last 100 that was unfathomable. Everything she swam before then was world class but within range of what women swim in 2012, and then she took off at the end of the hardest event in swimming.

Rice was young, like Ye, but 2008 was the beginning of the super-suit era, which is now cnsidered technological doping. The suits did different thi gs to different swimmers. They helped her enormously. As they did to Beiderman (GER) and Kukors (USA), as for 2 examples.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:50 AM   #285
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver

I don't really have an opinion on this - especially since so many people passing swift judgement aren't exactly in informed positions to know, and I know I'm not either - but I thought this article made a good point on the Lochte comparison:

That article gets it totally wrong. It's exactly because Lochte clobbers her on all the other strokes that makes her fast-as-his freestyle all that much more suspicious. It was swum at the end of a 400 IM where the two should be equally as tired.

That Author doesn't know a thin about swimming.