Legendary Coach, John Wooden - R.I.P.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
:(

Legendary UCLA coach John Wooden dead at 99 - NCAA Basketball - SI.com

john-wooden.p1.si.jpg

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- John Wooden, college basketball's gentlemanly Wizard of Westwood who built one of the greatest dynasties in all of sports at UCLA and became one of the most revered coaches ever, died Friday night. He was 99.

The university said Wooden died Friday night of natural causes at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, where he had been hospitalized since May 26.

With his signature rolled-up game program in hand, Wooden led the Bruins to 10 NCAA championships, including an unmatched streak of seven in a row from 1967 to 1973.

Over 27 years, he won 620 games, including 88 straight during one historic stretch, and coached many of the game's greatest players -- including Bill Walton and Lew Alcindor.

As a coach, he was groundbreaking trendsetter who demanded his players be in great condition so they could play an up-tempo style not well-known on the West Coast at the time.

But the Wizard's legacy extended well beyond that.

He was the master of the simple one- or two-sentence homily, instructive little messages best presented in his famous "Pyramid of Success," which remains must-read material, not only for fellow coaches but for anyone in a leadership position in American business.

Read More: Legendary UCLA coach John Wooden dead at 99 - NCAA Basketball - SI.com
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

The rare RIP thread I won't make a funny in. Grade A badass. I'm not even close to a UCLA fan, but the guy was incredible.

I never was a basketball fan, but he was one of my dad's heroes (he went to grad school in LA), so I heard lots about him growing up. He was an amazing guy. RIP, Coach.

I only wish that someday I could be as a great at something as Wooden was as a coach. What a loss, but hey, he lived a full life.

At 99, the man certainly lived a long full life.
One of the real legends in sport, feats that will never be matched.
Take a well earned rest Wizard.

Listening to the Jim Rome show today. Pretty much all they are talking about. I probably missed all the Lakers' loss talk (thankfully). They said one of Wooden's dying wishes is that he wanted to be clean-shaven so that he was prepared to re-unite with his wife :sad:

Back
Top Bottom