Lance Armstrong charged... again - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
45:33

Local Time: 01:50 AM
Thumbs Down Lance Armstrong charged... again

Quote:
The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency brought formal doping charges against former cyclist Lance Armstrong in an action that could cost him his seven Tour de France titles, according to a letter sent to Armstrong and several others Tuesday.

In the 15-page charging letter obtained by The Post, USADA made previously unpublicized allegations against Armstrong, alleging it collected blood samples from Armstrong in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Armstrong has never tested positive.
His statement

Quote:
I have been notified that USADA, an organization largely funded by taxpayer dollars but governed only by self-written rules, intends to again dredge up discredited allegations dating back more than 16 years to prevent me from competing as a triathlete and try and strip me of the seven Tour de France victories I earned.

These are the very same charges and the same witnesses that the Justice Department chose not to pursue after a two-year investigation. These charges are baseless, motivated by spite and advanced through testimony bought and paid for by promises of anonymity and immunity.

Although USADA alleges a wide-ranging conspiracy extended over more than 16 years, I am the only athlete it has chosen to charge. USADA’s malice, its methods, its star-chamber practices, and its decision to punish first and adjudicate later all are at odds with our ideals of fairness and fair play.

I have never doped, and, unlike many of my accusers, I have competed as an endurance athlete for 25 years with no spike in performance, passed more than 500 drug tests and never failed one. That USADA ignores this fundamental distinction and charges me instead of the admitted dopers says far more about USADA, its lack of fairness and this vendetta than it does about my guilt or innocence.
Tall poppy syndrome is incredibly ugly.

Lance Armstrong faces fresh doping charges from USADA - The Washington Post

Lance Armstrong Responds to USADA Allegation - Lance Armstrong

Old 06-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:50 AM
Good.

Fuck this guy.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #3

Why is everyone so convinced? He's been tested hundreds of times, voluntarily and involuntarily, was the subject of a two-year federal investigation and nothing.

I'll freely admit I was wrong if it's true, but let's give the guy a bit of a break...
Old 06-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:50 AM
What a waste of time and money.

The U.S. government isn't bothering, so that should say something.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:43 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:50 AM
Most of these drug prosecutions are incredibly silly- i.e, Roger Clemens, for one. I'm pessimistic about whether this will even turn up anything useful, versus simply being a high-profile head to put on a stake.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post

Tall poppy syndrome is incredibly ugly.
The guy was involved in the dirtiest sport on the planet when it comes to PEDs at the dirtiest time in history. It's no secret that all these fools are on something. Nothing to do with tall poppy syndrome. Fuck this guy indeed
Old 06-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #7

Some people will never be satisfied I guess... I'm with phanan
Old 06-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I'm shocked that there are still people who think that he didn't cheat.

The investigation is probably a huge waste of time and money though.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
Most of these drug prosecutions are incredibly silly- i.e, Roger Clemens, for one.
Clemens is being charged with perjury, making false statements and obstructing Congress. Are they still trying to make an example out of him as far as steroids? Probably. I think he's a liar and a user, and Lance probably was too.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up

LEAVE LANCE ALONE!!!

fcl
Old 06-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:50 AM
He's a cyclist -- of course he used performance enhancing drugs! At that level they ALL do! Whoop de do da. It's just part of the game. Huge waste of time and money to keep pursuing it years later. Besides, no matter what happens now (Tour de France titles stripped from him), he'll always be primarily known as the guy who won seven straight Tour de France titles. Yeah some delicate flowers will be terribly disillusioned by his cheating, but most people are adult (or perhaps cynical) enough to know that they all were (and still are) cheating, so it was still essentially a level playing field.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
Vocal parasite

If he does get stripped of his Tour de France titles, they'll only go to other people who probably took performance enhancing drugs too.

The whole aura of doping is why I can't take cycling seriously. That, and it's painfully boring as a spectator sport.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
He's a cyclist -- of course he used performance enhancing drugs! At that level they ALL do! Whoop de do da. It's just part of the game. Huge waste of time and money to keep pursuing it years later. Besides, no matter what happens now (Tour de France titles stripped from him), he'll always be primarily known as the guy who won seven straight Tour de France titles. Yeah some delicate flowers will be terribly disillusioned by his cheating, but most people are adult (or perhaps cynical) enough to know that they all were (and still are) cheating, so it was still essentially a level playing field.
Then make it legal. No point having rules if they're just going to let them get trampled because everyone does it. What other aspect of life do we deem it ok to cheat?
Old 06-15-2012, 02:59 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

while they are at it they should do a thorough check on that remaining testicle, wha's up with that?
Old 06-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
The whole aura of doping is why I can't take cycling seriously. That, and it's painfully boring as a spectator sport.
It's clearly noticeable that the number of cyclists who dope has decreased over the years and because of that, it got a bit more boring. There are no more Pantanis or Armstrongs who take 3 minutes on one climb. Except for Contador and even he isn't that unstoppable.

I was always a big Armstrong supporter, and still am, but I can't deny he probably doped. I don't really care about it either, because they all did. Ullrich already admitted it.

And if you think cycling is boring, watch the classics, especially Flanders and Roubaix. They're generally more fun than any stage in a grand tour.