It's college basketball season...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the allegations against D. Rose is that he possibly had someone take the SAT for him? Or was it the ACT? I thought in the midwest you took the ACT, it's what I had to take, but whatever.

What I wanted to say is that, ever since I took the ACT my junior year (lo those 6 long years ago) I've always, always thought "God, how easy would it have been to have had someone to take that test for me."

All we did was go to a big auditorium, off the high school campus, and hand one flimsy little form of identification to a proctor that was not much older than us at the door. You sit down and that's it. You proceed to take the test that determines whether or not you'll get into the university of your choice. It's insane how lax the regulations and security (for lack of better words) are when it comes to those tests. At least in my experience. If I had wanted to it would have been SO freakin easy to get a fake ID with my name on it and hand it over to some genius kid to go in and rack up a 36 on my ACT. No trouble at all.

Not sure what my point is...I guess I'm saying they should really try to figure out a way to make the identification process a little more strict at these big SAT/ACT tests. Don't know how they'd go about doing that but yeah, there ya go.

I would gladly have taken the SAT for somebody if they paid me. Hell, I'd do it now but I'm thinking I'd have a hard time passing for a high school kid. Then again I imagine it would be harder for a star HS athlete to get away with that anyway.

Mickey Rivers could be the word caller, how fun would that be?

Why should we care about this? It's not like he's going to be a doctor or an astronaut so who cares if he is good at school. All I want to do is watch him play basketball, which he is fantastic at.

Why should we care about this? It's not like he's going to be a doctor or an astronaut so who cares if he is good at school.

Because it's a waste of the university's resources, a waste of its students' and donors' money, and a blight upon its academic reputation to enroll an athlete who has absolutely zero interest in scholarship. Granted, it's not clear if the University of Memphis is a school that cares about these sorts of things, but plenty of schools do.

It's one thing for a college athlete to turn pro early; after all, it's not like anybody begrudges Bill Gates for dropping out of Harvard. It is a problem, however, if they're wasting the school's tutorial resources, taking blow-off classes, etc.

All I want to do is watch him play basketball, which he is fantastic at.

If a high school basketball player wants to play at the next level without going to school, he can play in Europe. He'll get paid handsomely and learn a hell of a lot more about life from living abroad for a couple years than he would by not going to class.

I have a feeling that by making the championship game the Memphis basketball program brought in alot more money than was spent on Rose's scholarship.

I have a feeling that by making the championship game the Memphis basketball program brought in alot more money than was spent on Rose's scholarship.

Technically your statement may be right, but your overall point is very wrong. I would be very surprised to learn that Memphis turned much of a profit overall during Calipari's tenure.

The vast majority of Division I football and basketball teams lose money. They spend loads of money on recruiting, travel, coaching salaries, support services, etc -- there are lots of items in the budget besides scholarships and room/board for athletes. Only programs like Ohio State football, UCLA basketball, etc. consistently finish in the black.

If you can consistently maintain a top 10 program, mayyyyyyyyyyybe you can make the case for selling your soul to the athletic department. If you're just going to make a deep NCAA tournament/BCS run for a couple years, slide back down the rankings, possibly get slapped with probation, and damage the university's reputation, it's not close to worthwhile.

I misspoke when I claimed that the vast majority of D-I football and basketball teams lose money. The vast majority of D-I athletic programs lose money because of all of the non-football and non-basketball sports. Still, football and basketball programs only generate a net profit of $1-2 million per year. Not even close to worth it if the university's reputation is going to suffer, imo.

In comparison, an endowment of $500 million which is invested super-super-conservatively (say in a money market account at 3% APY) brings in $15 million per year, and a 0.25% increase in tuition at a school that charges 20,000 students $20,000 in tuition per year would bring in $1 million.

Dick Vitale blames all this on the one-and-done age limit that the NBA put in. He's probably right, or at least partially right...but unfortunately the NBA has zero interest in what goes on in the college game, other than having a de facto development league without having to pay for it.

dick vitale's a doof.

things at memphis just get worse and worse... and by worse i mean hillllllllarious.

ATHENS, Ga. -- Former University of Memphis forward Robert Dozier's initial SAT score was invalidated by the company that scores the exam, and when he took the test a second time, he scored 540 fewer points, ESPN.com has learned through an open records request.

In addition, a person claiming to be a faculty member at his high school in suburban Atlanta wrote an anonymous letter to the NCAA Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse questioning his score on the admissions test, records obtained from the University of Georgia show.

That prompted Georgia to deny Dozier admission. He ended up at Memphis, where he helped lead the Tigers to the 2008 NCAA Final Four.

This is the second time in recent weeks that a former Memphis basketball player has had his SAT scores questioned.

On Saturday, Memphis officials will appear before the NCAA Committee on Infractions in Indianapolis, where they will answer charges that Derrick Rose, who played only the 2007-08 season at Memphis before becoming the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft by the Chicago Bulls, cheated on his SAT while attending Chicago's Simeon Career Academy.

Former Memphis coach John Calipari, now at Kentucky, is expected to participate in the hearing by phone from China, where is is on a previously scheduled trip.

Earlier this week, Memphis officials released the findings of an internal investigation, which turned up no proof that Rose had a stand-in take his SAT. The Tigers also are accused of providing improper travel-related benefits to Rose's older brother, Reggie.

Dozier's academic credentials before enrolling at Memphis will not be included in Saturday's hearing in Indianapolis. By NCAA procedures, anything not included in the original letter of inquiry cannot be included in the hearing with the Committee on Infractions. The NCAA could investigate the issue separately and give Memphis officials time to respond.

Asked Friday morning about the Dozier case, Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson told ESPN.com's Andy Katz: "We still feel comfortable about what we've done and that we've done all the do-rights, and time will tell. You don't want any of that stuff happening, but I'm pretty comfortable we've done all the things we're supposed to do."

Johnson added, "I thought we dotted all the I's and crossed all the T's on that situation. I know nothing different today than I did then."

According to Dozier's academic records, which were obtained by ESPN.com through Georgia open records laws, he took the SAT for the first time Dec. 6, 2003, about five months after he verbally committed to play for the Tigers. He scored 1,260 of a possible 1,600 points (the highest possible score at the time) on the test, according to the records.

Dozier later reneged on his commitment to Memphis and signed a national letter of intent with Georgia in March 2004. But Georgia admissions officials immediately were alarmed by Dozier's high SAT score, which they said didn't correlate with his below-average academic performance at Lithonia (Ga.) High School or his score on the PSAT, a preparatory exam for the SAT.

In its report to UGA president Michael Adams, the school's faculty admissions review committee, which evaluates the admission applications of prospective student-athletes, recommended a "strong deny" in Dozier's case.

"Of greatest concern is the gross inconsistency in his testing record," the committee wrote in its report. "His [SAT verbal score of 590] would place him in the 76th percentile nationally, while his [SAT math score of 670] places him in the 89th percentile. This raises a serious red flag, since his PSAT from October 2000 places him in the 4th percentile nationally in both areas. Such a remarkable improvement in testing abilities in the span of nine months is highly improbable, particularly for a student with a C-minus record in average college prep courses in high school."

Georgia officials were further alarmed when the NCAA Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse, which certifies prospects' academic credentials for NCAA initial eligibility, received an anonymous letter alleging someone else took Dozier's SAT. The author of the March 30, 2004, letter claimed to be a faculty member at Dozier's high school.

In the letter, the author wrote: "This score is completely out of line with anything Robert has done academically at our school. My suspicions were confirmed when a faculty member mentioned that he was told someone else took the test for Robert. Allegedly, a graduate of our school took the test for Robert at the North Atlanta High School test center.

"Understand that these are allegations only. It is not my job to investigate any of this. As an educator, I felt compelled to report this information to your office. Desperate times sometimes lead to desperate measures. Academic integrity is very important to me. If this case is investigated and Robert is cleared of any wrongdoing, I would be the first to apologize for my suspicions. However, if any of this is true, then Robert and whoever was involved should be held accountable."

Educational Testing Service, the nonprofit company that develops, administers and scores the SAT, opened an investigation of Dozier's test score in June 2004. In a June 14, 2004, letter to Dozier, ETS officials told him that "we believe there appears to be substantial evidence that your scores [on the SAT] are invalid. Our preliminary concerns are based on a comparison of the handwriting on your answer sheet with the handwriting on other documents such as your registration form and external documents."

ETS officials offered Dozier a chance to validate his score by taking the SAT again. Dozier took the test in July 2004 and scored 720 -- 540 points less than his earlier score.

As a result, ETS officials canceled the score from his first SAT. Adams denied Dozier's admission application to UGA on Aug. 18, 2004.

Georgia Athletic Association spokesman Claude Felton said the school would have no further comment "beyond what was included in the documents provided."

Jacquelyn Dozier, the player's mother, would not say whether someone else took the first SAT for her son.

"That wasn't at Memphis," Jacquelyn Dozier told ESPN.com on Thursday night. "I have no idea. You need to talk to Georgia."

Jacquelyn Dozier said her son was in Memphis and unavailable for comment. Robert Dozier did not respond to voice mails and text messages sent to his cell phone by ESPN.com.

ETS spokesman Tom Ewing told ESPN.com's Dana O'Neil earlier this week that canceling a student's SAT score is rare.

"A tip only gets the ball rolling," Ewing told ESPN.com. "We cannot cancel a score on any tip, anonymous or otherwise. Cancellations don't happen very often. We administer three million SATs per year. We'd get questions, I'd guess, on 2,000. Of those 2,000, we probably clear at least half or more, so this is not common at all."

That Chaney nutty is still one of my all time favs...and I think he would have killed him too, if nobody held him back.

It's really a shame Calipari got the Kentucky job, would be great if he was still at Memphis when all this shit started hitting the fan. Of course it will follow him to Kentucky I would expect, and it'll be back to probation for the 'Cats.

well there's no surprise why calipari is at kentucky... the idea that he went for a "bigger program" with more money is ridiculous. his recruiting class at kentucky is almost the same that it would have been at memphis, and memphis as fed ex money backing up their athletic department, so he could have gotten the same paycheck there.

he left because he knew this was coming down the road... plain and simple. he left UMass for the NBA for the same reasons. if in a few years you hear rumors of Cal leaving again? put money on violations coming for kentucky within a year or two.

I'm back in my old stomping grounds on Saturday. Talking to a guy, a guy who knows everybody, consequently gets the inside scoop on ... well, everything. Tells me he's back from Louisville, he was there for a few days around Derby time. Says he was at a bar, and that he heard some crazy shit about Rick Pitino. He rattled off all of it to me. I don't want to sell out everything, but I just found out today that one of the things he told me is popping up in a story:

Deadspin - Well, This Is An Interesting Development (MORE UPDATES) - Karen Sypher

This story goes that Pitino knocked this girl up and forced her to get an abortion. That's one of the things I heard. No word yet on some of the other shit. But if this is true ... who knows.

Huh. Everything that guy told me has been true so far. Which means there could still be more to this.

the pitino thing is hardly shocking if you've been paying attention... it's a matter of time before rick steps down.

think about it...

we've heard the rumors, thanks largely to deadspin, for months... now it's all out.

but aside from that, look at the "unrelated" things that have happened this off season

-louisville's top recruit for next season up and left for europe
-pitino's own son left louisville to become an assistant for billy donovan, a pitino protoge'
-pitino's close friend from his long island days ralph wilard gives up a head coaching position at holy cross to become rick's #1 assistant.

it's all a matter of time before willard is the new head coach, or at least "acting" head coach of louisville.

got one for ya' pfan

Long Island Lutheran guard Achraf Yacoubou settles on Villanova
By Ebenezer Samuel
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, October 22nd 2009, 2:02 AM

Achraf Yacoubou knew exactly what he wanted in a college. The 6-4 guard from Long Island Lutheran wanted to find a program that had NCAA championship aspirations, and he wanted to play for a coach who could "take him to the next level."

"That's all I wanted," he told the Daily News. "I really want a championship."

Yacoubou believes he found everything he wants in a college in Villanova, which is why he verbally committed to the Big East school on Wednesday, choosing the Wildcats over a host of other programs, including Wake Forest, Xavier, UConn and Kentucky.

Yacoubou is just a junior at Long Island Lutheran HS, so he could have waited to choose his college. But Villanova's scholarship offer was too good to pass on. He says he visited the campus over the summer, and enjoyed the experience. Additionally, Wildcats coach Jay Wright has a reputation for developing NBA-caliber guards, which appealed to the youngster from the Bronx.

"Jay Wright is a great coach," Yacoubou said. "I felt like I had a good relationship with him. And I feel like he can get me to the next level."

And Yacoubou may return the favor and help keep the Wildcats on top of the Big East. Villanova hauled on a topflight 2009 recruiting class headlined by former St. Anthony's (N.J.) star Dominic Cheek, and the Wildcats are loaded in the backcourt this season with senior Scottie Reynolds, Bronx product Corey Fisher and incoming McDonald's All-American guard Maalik Wayns.

Yacoubou is the school's first commitment in the Class of 2011, and he's a solid building block for the team's future. Last year, in his first season at Long Island Lutheran, the smooth scorer averaged 21.6 points per game, teaming with touted forward Tobias Harris to lead the team to the state Federation Class-A title at Glens Falls.

He said he enjoyed winning that title, and he can't wait to do the same at Villanova. After studying the team's roster, as well as its incoming recruits, he says the Wildcats are "loaded."

"This team can win the NCAA championship," he said. "They're incredibly talented."

3397141439_90cab2f14a_b.jpg

Jay Wright is a hell of a recruiter. And he also apparently has a real problem with recruiting anyone who isn't 6'1"-6'7".

He's also a great guy and runs a good, clean program. Your guy made a good choice.

However, I may have to revoke my Nova fandom for the time being, seeing as I am now at a D1 basketball school with aspirations for the tournament.

This is true, and I do think size is often overrated ... but in the context of the Big East, Villanova is incredibly small, and it does hurt them matchup-wise in some cases.

However, I may have to revoke my Nova fandom for the time being, seeing as I am now at a D1 basketball school with aspirations for the tournament.

You mean you aren't primed for a Penn State NIT title defense?

Back
Top Bottom