It's college basketball season...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He would thrive in that system methinks.
But he'd look real good in Celtic green...perhaps Trader Danny can unload Leon Powe and Brian Scalabrine for the #1 overall pick (talk about dreaming).

Sam young from Pitt is going to be a massive steal in this draft. I have no clue why he is ranked so low on everybodys draft board.

don't even say that...

I don't think either of them is near ready...Griffin at least seems to be a pretty much finished product, I'm not sure he can develop any more at the college level.

I was going to brag on UConn's national championship, but was afraid I'd be open to mockery, ridicule, and scorn...despite the big "0" in the L column.

This can have two meanings for the UConn women's team methinks.

It could...but would you be willing to bet on it?

Speaking of women's hoops, I see Vivian Stringer will go into the HoF alongside, among others, Michael Jordan. As if it isn't cool enough to get in the HoF, you also get to go in with MJ? How cool is that?

And Stockton and D. Robinson. What a group. Definitely the best basketball HOF class I've ever witnessed. Although, I admittedly don't follow the HOF inductions very closely.

vivian can get an assist from imus for her hall induction.

and bob hurley gets passed over for the second straight year... he's slowly becoming the jim rice of the basketball hall of fame.

great piece on cbs this past sunday on hurley, btw... and i'm not just saying that because my team is in it for about 5 seconds worth of highlights early on :wink:

Holding Court And Performing Miracles - CBS News

So...Florida International has a new basketball coach.

I'm back in my old stomping grounds on Saturday. Talking to a guy, a guy who knows everybody, consequently gets the inside scoop on ... well, everything. Tells me he's back from Louisville, he was there for a few days around Derby time. Says he was at a bar, and that he heard some crazy shit about Rick Pitino. He rattled off all of it to me. I don't want to sell out everything, but I just found out today that one of the things he told me is popping up in a story:

Deadspin - Well, This Is An Interesting Development (MORE UPDATES) - Karen Sypher

This story goes that Pitino knocked this girl up and forced her to get an abortion. That's one of the things I heard. No word yet on some of the other shit. But if this is true ... who knows.

john calipari will go down as the first coach in college basketball history to have two final four appearances vacated. well done, kentucky. well done, indeed.

it is a dirty, dirty business. i personally know of a kid in the city who last year, as a junior, got zero credits for the year and had passed a total of 3 classes in his freshman and sophomore years combined, at a total of 3 different high schools. now on high school number 4, he's a month away from graduating from high school. this is all true.

the "director of basketball operations" at st. john's university was the coach of this kid his sophomore season. the program he was involved in folded because the school's administrators were tired of having kids brought in every year who never went to class and didn't want to be a glorified AAU team. this team never practiced, and the kids never went to school. that was enough to get this coach a college job. why? st. john's wanted to recruit some of his kids.

and then there's the story of Steele Davis (currently being recruited by Memphis, Kentucky and USC, mind you)

------------------------------------------------------

Who Is Steele Davis?
NYCHoops.net

In April, NYCHoops.net wrote an article about an up and coming sophomore by the name of Steele Davis, who currently plays for Our Savior New American.

According to Davis, during his first interview with NYCHoops.net, he claimed that he is currently a 16 year old sophomore, but allegations have surfaced that would appear to not only contradict that claim but more.

NYCHoops.net was contacted by AAU Coach, Nate Cadogan, who said he coached Davis in 2005. "His name isn't Steele Davis, it's Neville Davis and he played for me on the Lamar Odom All-Stars," said Cadogan. The Lamar Odom All-stars a/k/a Team Odom is an AAU team sponsored by and named after the LA Lakers NBA star. Cadogan provided NYCHoops.net with a team photograph, including Neville Davis, and a copy of the Davis' signed 2005 team application which Neville Davis lists his date of birth as May 5th 1988 and his high school as Pacific High School.

Cadogan said that he recently ran into Neville Davis in March, after reading the NYCHoops.net article, at the CYP Tournament in Port Chester, NY where he was playing with a team called Frenji Sports under the name, Steele Davis. Cadogan says he confronted Davis regarding his correct age. "He (Davis) told me he was 19, but I know even that's not true if he was sixteen back in '05," says Cadogan.

Ken Coard is listed as Davis' High School Coach at a Pacific High School on the 2005 Team Odom application but Coard said that he didn't coach Davis in high school. Coard said, "I met him at the Berkshire School, where I coached in 2005. He just came for a visit." Coard said that Sean Arnold, who coached Team Roc, originally told him about Davis. "Sean told me that he saw Neville (recently) playing with Our Savior New American at a tournament," said Coard.

NYCHoops.net contacted Steele Davis' current school, Our Savior New American (OSNA) in Centereach, NY where he listed his date of birth as May the 5th but 1992, according to OSNA Head Master and Coach Bob Bass. Coach Bass said that according to the transcripts received on 'Steele Davis', he was a freshman at RISE Academy and transferred to Scotlandville Magnet High School in Baton Rouge, LA. The reason sited by Davis for leaving RISE, according to Bass, was because RISE did not meet NCAA standards.

NYCHoops.net contacted Sam Rimes who runs RISE Academy school in North Hills, PA. Rimes said, "First off, RISE Academy is not a high school. It's a basketball academy so I don't why he'd list us. He came to me in June of 2007 and said he was 17 and wanted to be a repeat sophomore. I put him in Northeast Prep but he had no transcripts. "When asked why he had no transcripts, Rimes says, "He said he lost them in (Hurricane) Katrina."

Joyce Kall, the executive administrative assistant at Northeast Prep, in North East, PA confirmed that a Steele Davis was, in fact, enrolled at Northeast Prep from February 2008 until 3/25/08 to take 2 ninth grade courses. "We asked him (Davis) to produce a birth certificate and he never came back," said Kall, when asked why the stay was so short.

When asked, did Northeast Prep send a transcript to Scotlandville Magnet, Kall replied, "Yes, on April 12, 2008 but it listed him as receiving two failures because he did not complete the courses."

Ms. Askins, from the guidance department of Scotlandville Magnet High, said that they have no record of the Northeast Prep transcript but did not know why. When asked about Davis' enrollment, Askins said, "It looks like Steele was enrolled from 4/10/08 until 5/22/08 and has 4.5 credits."

As far as which school Davis attended in Louisiana, Rimes says, "He (Steele Davis) told me he went to Booker T. Washington High School in New Orleans, LA but I found out from another player, who was from New Orleans, that Booker T. is actually a Middle school and that it had closed before the hurricane (Katrina)."

Rimes added that Davis disappeared from his academy in early April when he couldn't produce his transcripts and birth certificate. "He left all his clothes here and just left," says Rimes.

The pattern that seems to have emerged is, that Steele/Neville Davis has gotten through the high school system without actually producing a birth certificate. When ask to produce one, he flees to another school.

When NYCHoops.net tried to contact Steele Davis directly by telephone, a voice message said that his message box was not set up. Shortly thereafter, a response came via text message from a person who claimed to be his aunt, who said Steele left his cell phone at her house. All additional attempts to reach Steele Davis since then have received no replies.

Amazingly, NYCHoops.net has determined that high schools don't, as standard procedure, require transfer students to submit birth certificates or any form of official identification (ie. social security card, passport etc.). They determine grade and age only through previous transcripts.

In the case of Neville/Steele Davis, he appears to have been able to generate a 9th grade transcript, even though it reflects that he failed or didn't attend or complete courses based on the assumption that his transcripts were somehow lost during Hurricane Katrina.

When the schools or institutions that Davis attempted to attend or was attending confronted him and asked for a more definitive forms of identification, like a birth certificate, Steele/Neville Davis fled, according to reports.

The allegations of the false representation of age and identity with regard to Steele/Neville Davis raise questions and concerns as to how easy it is for a student-athlete to slip through the cracks and garner college attention based on the belief that a player is younger and more developed then he actually is.

This allegation of perhaps a 20 year old man claiming to be a 16 years old boy is particularly disturbing in that a legal adult could theoretically be interacting with minors while at school or in other social settings.

--------------------------------------------------

wonderous.

as for the memphis/calipari situation it's self... well, that all boils down to one man.

GQfeature9v.jpg

no, not ron artest. the man with him. worldwide wes. WWW, if you will. he's like the bad guy in blue chips, only on a national scale. and he's the one who guided derrick rose to memphis, and he's the one who's thought to be behind the false SAT score for derrick rose... and if WWW knew, john calipari knew.

a bio

IS THIS THE MOST POWERFUL MAN IN SPORTS?: GQ Features on men.style.com

Wow.

The whole Steele Davis thing has a very "Miguel Tejada lying about his age" feel to it.

No doubt in my mind Calipari knew. I'm sure Kentucky is going into this with their eyes open, but when you hire a guy like Calipari (or Huggins, or Tarkanian) you're getting those sketchy players that the other programs won't touch.

Oh, and Blue Chips :up: Shaq's best movie, by far.

changing a D to a C may not seem like that big a deal, but in reality it's huge.

the NCAA does not recognize A's, B's, C's, D's and F's, nor do they recognize number grades from 1 to 100. they only recognize things on a 4.0 scale, so every grade is converted to a number on the 4.0 scale.

90 - 100 = A = 4.0
80-89 = B = 3.0
70-79 = C = 2.0
65-69 = D = 1.0
64 or less = F = 0.0

so if a student gets a 65, it is recogized as a 1.0 by the NCAA. if a student gets a 69? 1.0. there are no half points given out. so all someone would have to do is bump a grade up by a few points... say from a 68 to a 70... to get the student athlete from a D to a C, but those 2 points on the 0 to 100 scale is huge on the 4.0 scale, because any grade from 70 to 79 gets regiestered as a 2.0.

if bumping a class or two up from a D to a C raised rose's overall GPA to even just a 2.5, then all he would need is an 820 on his SAT to clear the NCAA Clearinghouse.

you really have to be one special bread of dumb to not get eligible for the NCAA. it is not difficult at all, provided you actually attend class and put forth an ounce of effort.

a B student who accumulates an NCAA GPA of 3.0 needs just a 620 on his/her SAT to be eligible. a student who gets a GPA of 3.55 or higher needs just a 400 on his/her SAT to be eligible, meaning he/she only needs to show up, put his or her name on the math, take a map, wake up in time to put his/her name on the verbal, and then leave without answering a single question and they will be eligible to play division 1 sports.

the lowest GPA and corresponding SAT you can get to be eligible is a 2.0 along with a 1010 SAT.

I don't think that was always the case though, was it? I mean the sliding scale. It seems I remember the NCAA wanting at least an 800 at one time regardless of what the high school GPA was. I could be wrong but I swear I remember that.

For my part I was eligible...GPA fine, SAT more than fine. Unfortunately my GAA was higher than my GPA, which left me stopping pucks on the club team :(

How does one not get half credit on the fucking SATs? An 800 is really, really fucking easy to attain.

Granted, I had a pretty good score on the SATs so my viewpoint is a little skewed, but still.

^ Yeah that was my thought too, plus they've made it easier since I took it.

But of course those tests are culturally biased, except for the math. :wink:

One of the allegations against D. Rose is that he possibly had someone take the SAT for him? Or was it the ACT? I thought in the midwest you took the ACT, it's what I had to take, but whatever.

What I wanted to say is that, ever since I took the ACT my junior year (lo those 6 long years ago) I've always, always thought "God, how easy would it have been to have had someone to take that test for me."

All we did was go to a big auditorium, off the high school campus, and hand one flimsy little form of identification to a proctor that was not much older than us at the door. You sit down and that's it. You proceed to take the test that determines whether or not you'll get into the university of your choice. It's insane how lax the regulations and security (for lack of better words) are when it comes to those tests. At least in my experience. If I had wanted to it would have been SO freakin easy to get a fake ID with my name on it and hand it over to some genius kid to go in and rack up a 36 on my ACT. No trouble at all.

Not sure what my point is...I guess I'm saying they should really try to figure out a way to make the identification process a little more strict at these big SAT/ACT tests. Don't know how they'd go about doing that but yeah, there ya go.

Back
Top Bottom