It's a college basketball thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
not to mention too many forwards without the ability to put the biscuit in the basket coughjoshboonehiltonarmstrongcough

Power forwards with no hands have been a mainstay up in Storrs for awhile now. For every Caron Butler you get a Johnnie Selvie, for every Rip Hamilton a Souleymane Wane, and on and on. And let's not forget the slashing point guard who can't shoot (Taleik Brown, Khalid El-Amin, Kevin Ollie).

First Take guys discussing Laettner on that ESPN college player list, saying putting him 12th is too low. I'd have to agree, and I think his crappy NBA career hurt him on that list which is sort of stupid.

Sources say Moore's visit to ESPN was secondary rules violation
By Shelley Smith

The University of Connecticut committed a secondary rules violation during the recruitment of star freshman Maya Moore, two sources familiar with the NCAA violation told ESPN.

Moore, a two-time national high school player of the year, received improper benefits during an unofficial recruiting visit in October, 2005 when UConn's coaching staff arranged for her to take a tour of ESPN headquarters in Bristol, Conn., the sources said. In a statement, UConn said it has received no penalties. The NCAA refused to comment about the case or whether penalties might still be in the offing.

ESPN acknowledged that it "obliged" UConn when the women's basketball office requested a tour for Moore and her mother. ESPN said it has now changed its policies on such tour requests.

"To avoid future incidents, our tour policy will now prohibit high school athletes from receiving tours at the request of a college or university athletic official," ESPN said in a statement.

The tour constituted an impermissible benefit, one source with knowledge of the infractions process said.

Bob Williams, managing director of public and media relations for the NCAA, refused to comment on the UConn violation. In general, he said an extra benefit would be anything that is given to a potential recruit that is not offered to all students at the university.

It is unclear whether UConn also self-reported Moore's ESPN tour. In a statement released Wednesday afternoon UConn said, "The institution has worked with the NCAA on this matter and the association has taken no action."

The two sources said the NCAA launched its investigation after receiving a complaint from the Southeastern Conference. The SEC asked the NCAA to investigate the allegation that UConn had arranged the ESPN tour after the conference received a complaint from the University of Tennessee. At the time, Tennessee was also recruiting Moore, who starred at Collins Hill High School in Suwannee, Ga.

In June, Tennessee made public that the regular-season series between UConn and Tennessee women's basketball programs was ending. Tennessee head coach Pat Summitt said she made the decision to end the series along with the school president and women's athletic director. The series started in 1995 and was eagerly anticipated by hardcore and casual women's basketball fans.

A spokesman for Tennessee said neither athletic director Joan Cronan nor Summitt would comment.

UConn coach Geno Auriemma responded last summer to Tennessee canceling the game. Referring to Summitt, he told the Hartford Courant, "I think she should just come out and say she's not playing us because she hates my guts. And I think people would buy that. Then everyone [who seeks a reason] would be happy. She should just say that [Geno is] a dope, a smart-ass and then everyone could say that they agree with her."

Auriemma declined to speak with ESPN about the cancellation of the series or his relationship with Summitt saying, "anything to do with her I want nothing to do with it."

Shelley Smith is a Los Angeles-based reporter for ESPN television.

players leaving early.. recruiting violations. women's basketball is all grown up :sad:

...coaches snitching on each other. Stay classy Pat Summit :down: While I think the ESPN visit is a pretty minor thing Geno had to know it would violate a rule.

I was pretty impressed by G'town yesterday. Villanova came storming back on them and they just snuffed the 'Cats right out...the outside shooting, especially in the first half for the Hoyas, wow.

I'm stunned neither coach got T'd in the UConn/WV game. You had tickytack fouls galore in the 2nd half in a game coached by Jim Calhoun and Bob Huggins - I'd have guessed T's for both and perhaps a tossing. But no...though I think they gave Calhoun some leeway on a few occasions.

CTU2fan said:
...coaches snitching on each other. Stay classy Pat Summit :down: While I think the ESPN visit is a pretty minor thing Geno had to know it would violate a rule.

the giving of gifts of any value in an attempt to sway the decision of a recruit is a major violation of ncaa sanctions, and geno most certainly was aware.

Hey, I've been in Bristol, CT on many many occasions and trust me it's not swaying anybody, unless we're talking swaying somebody away from UConn.

I've met Chris Berman (he used to sit behind us at Whalers games a half-dozen or so times a year). Seemed like an OK guy...but he's pretty grating on TV, and I really wish he'd stay away from baseball game broadcasts.

Getting to be that time of year...apparently the kid who hit the buzzer beater for Minnesota last night did the same in the high school championships and won the ESPY, how cool is that?

Scary stuff in the SEC tourney in Atlanta, a tornado? :down:

Some day for Georgia.
Not often college hoops teams get to do the Ernie Banks special...and manage to win the 2nd game, after going OT in the first.

this bracket angers me. i shall pick upsets all over the board just out of spite.

ridiciulous things...
-putting davidson as only a 10 and then matching them against gonzaga in the first round
-butler's a 7 but somehow michigan state, who lost to a d3 school, is a 5
-belmont and winthrop both screwed with bad brackets, the second year in a row that the good mid majors get tough opening rounds
-temple gets a 12 and st. joe's gets an 11, despite the fact that st. joe's lost to temple in the conference championship game
-how the fuck is usc a 6 seed?
-how the fuck is villanova in the tournament?

the mid major revolution may be on, but the power conference's "fucking the mid majors in the butt come selection time" revolution continues as well.

Last edited:
this bracket angers me. i shall pick upsets all over the board just out of spite.

ridiciulous things...
-putting davidson as only a 10 and then matching them against gonzaga in the first round
-belmont and winthrop both screwed with bad brackets, the second year in a row that the good mid majors get tough opening rounds
-temple gets a 12 and st. joe's gets an 11, despite the fact that st. joe's lost to temple in the conference championship game

the mid major revolution may be on, but the power conference's "fucking the mid majors in the butt come selection time" revolution continues as well.

Indeed!

Butler has to go to Montgomery as a higher seed and basically play a local team. That is bullcrap.

UConn will beat UCLA (if Drake doesn't beat UConn first). How's that for hedging? Is anyone up for a Interference bracket pool? Not sure how we'd do it though.

ridiciulous things...

- St. Joe's is better than Temple, and while based on the results of the championship it would have made more sense for the seeds to be switched, St. Joe's will fare better. Plus, they were the ones who knocked off Xavier.
- Agreed about Nova. No way they should be in.

The disparity in the foul calls in the Xavier game was just silly. It's mind-boggling to me how the combination of a highly aggressive defensive style by Xavier mixed with constant penetration by Georgia (Gaines mainly) could lead to so few foul calls. Some questionable other things also. In the end Xavier turned up the heat and really dominated Georgia down the stretch. I don't think the officials effected the outcome, honestly.

phillyfan26 said:

- St. Joe's is better than Temple, and while based on the results of the championship it would have made more sense for the seeds to be switched, St. Joe's will fare better. Plus, they were the ones who knocked off Xavier.
- Agreed about Nova. No way they should be in.

i picked st. joe's to win and temple to lose, that's not the point. one team wins the title over the other team, they should get the higher seed... otherwise what's the point of a conference championship?

it's one number, it really doesn't matter... it was just one of many strange things about the seedings this (and last) year.

i only lost georgia and BYU yesterday... 14-2. this concerns me. last time i did this well on the first day i was massacred on day 2... knock on wood.

only two upsets... both of which weren't really upsets (a 9 over an 8 and an 11 over a 6, but an 11 in kansas state that's much better than an 11 and a 6 in usc that's much worse than a 6... if ever there was a game seeded soley for ratings it was that one.

Last edited:
it's not awesome baby

vitalecindereall.jpg

:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom