It's a college basketball thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i will say this... i feel sorry for the upper-classmen at indiana, especially d.j. white. he's been through so much off the court bullshit in his 4 years, and he's shown nothing but class throughout. :hi5: for him.

if the tournament committee puts davidson up in a tough matchup in the first round i'm going to strike. they put all the good mid-majors last year either against each other or against tough competition and then claimed it was just irony and there was no conspiracy against them... if it happens again this year, then you know that the big schools and/or CBS simply don't want the mid-majors to succeed.

I just have to point out that Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa is ranked and just beat Butler tonight.

I hated the state of Iowa, but I did always go to Drake's basketball camp in the summer. So, I can consider myself a fan of theirs and not feel as if I have jumped on a bandwagon. :)

Not saying that Kelvin Sampson doesn't deserve his fate, because he clearly does...but could the University of Indiana possibly have handled the situation any worse than they did?

First Indiana hires the guy, knowing that he's got NCAA charges pending against him...then when the NCAA puts him on probation for a year, they hire Dan Dakich to undermine/replace him (this seems to be the reason why half the Indiana team boycotted their first practice under him).

When Sampson gets in trouble again, instead of either (a) waiting until June when the NCAA issues another ruling against him or (b) quietly conducting their due process and then firing him, they choose to (c) publicly announce that they're thinking about firing him pending the results of their investigation, and repeat said announcements every other day for several weeks, before finally firing him.

Yeesh.

If only Tim Welsh, Providence's head coach, would commit some NCAA violations, then maybe we could finally be rid of him. Another lackluster season in Friartown. :sigh: At least I'll always have '97 when God really was a Friar.

Indiana wanted to avoid a law suit at all costs that's why they made announcements about due process and all. They couldn't just fire him, it was in his contract. The mistake they made was hiring him in the first place. They've know about the violations for quite a while (they have been conducting an investigation).

The players boycotting practice is just silly.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i give another 2-3 years before the big east splits in half

you mean with the bottom feeders being cast off or split amongst those schools with and without football?

I think the league is way to big and would welcome casting off a few schools. I'm just afraid that Providence would be one of those schools cast off. About the only argument they have going for them is that they were one of the originals. They haven't been really relevant in years - mainly during the Tim Welsh tenure. I'd love to see them take a chance on a young coach looking to build a name for himself. I know that the school is a stepping stone program, but at least some excitement could get infused. Maybe it would be better for Providence to get shoved off into a different conference like the A-10 and maybe be a little bit more competitive, but I would hate to see it happen at least at first.

I'd happily go back to the old Big East (minus BC of course), but we're out of luck since football is driving the bus :( As it is now, I think the word is...ponderous :)

randhail said:

you mean with the bottom feeders being cast off or split amongst those schools with and without football?

I think the league is way to big and would welcome casting off a few schools. I'm just afraid that Providence would be one of those schools cast off. About the only argument they have going for them is that they were one of the originals. They haven't been really relevant in years - mainly during the Tim Welsh tenure. I'd love to see them take a chance on a young coach looking to build a name for himself. I know that the school is a stepping stone program, but at least some excitement could get infused. Maybe it would be better for Providence to get shoved off into a different conference like the A-10 and maybe be a little bit more competitive, but I would hate to see it happen at least at first.

they wouldn't have to cast anyone off, just split the football playing schools and the non football playing schools... 8 and 8.

basketball/catholic schools conference
-georgetown
-notre dame
-marquette
-villanova
-seton hall
-depaul
-st. john's
-providence

football/non-religious conference
-louisville
-uconn
-west virginia
-cincinatti
-pittsburgh
-syracuse
-south florida
-rutgers

I know they are independent/not in the Big east for football

they wouldn't have to cast anyone off, just split the football playing schools and the non football playing schools... 8 and 8.

basketball/catholic schools conference
-georgetown
-notre dame
-marquette
-villanova
-seton hall
-depaul
-st. john's
-providence

football/non-religious conference
-louisville
-uconn
-west virginia
-cincinatti
-pittsburgh
-syracuse
-south florida
-rutgers

Yeah, Notre Dame isn't much of a football school. :wink:

Re: I know they are independent/not in the Big east for football

zonelistener said:

Yeah, Notre Dame isn't much of a football school. :wink:
They have no desire to join the Big East for football. If they did it would have been while Miami, VT and BC were still there, certainly not now.

Re: Re: I know they are independent/not in the Big east for football

Hewson said:
They have no desire to join the Big East for football. If they did it would have been while Miami, VT and BC were still there, certainly not now.

If things keep up they may change their tune...

Re: Re: I know they are independent/not in the Big east for football

Hewson said:

you missed the wink and the subject line...

#1 UConn gets their payback with a 20 point home win over Rutgers.

I don't care for Geno much honestly. There's a certain amount of I don't know, smarminess around him...he reminds me a bit of Pitino and his little friend Calipari and I can't stand either of them. But I like Vivian Stringer and of course Jim Calhoun, but Pat Summitt bugs me. I guess I'm like the anit-Headache, all I need to do is learn to love Isiah :)

i don't mind pat summit
I was quite amused last year when she donned a cheerleader uni in response to Bruce Pearl attending a women's game with his ample chest and stomach painted orange.
Both hoops coaches at Peyton Place seem fairly likeable.

Well Bruce Pearl seems like a decent enough guy anyway...

And can I have Stephon too? They should be a package deal...Zeke isn't half as fun without Starbury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom