It's a college basketball thread... - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-23-2008, 08:26 PM   #286
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
CTU2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,366
Local Time: 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Having a murdered bracket does give me the flexibility of rooting for upsets non-stop.
Bingo. Since I picked UConn to go all the way I think I'll just kick back and hope Villanova wins it all.
__________________

__________________
CTU2fan is online now  
Old 03-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #287
Refugee
 
thetitans2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,752
Local Time: 09:13 AM
I've got Wisconsin in the final four. I think they can contain curry and end Davidsons run.

I think Memphis's offense looks like its one on one because it desgined for alot of driving the ball to the net. They drive it in and kick the ball out for open shots. My only complaint about them is their poor free throw shooting. They could have dropping that game today by missing free throws down the stretch.
__________________

__________________
thetitans2k is offline  
Old 03-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #288
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,062
Local Time: 04:13 AM
Davidson
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 03-23-2008, 11:29 PM   #289
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,573
Local Time: 04:13 AM
Over on this poker/gambling site I frequent, some guy has been giving updates on how his five different brackets have been doing.

Needless to say, he is being pilloried mercilessly.
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 03-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #290
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
CTU2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,366
Local Time: 05:13 AM
5 sheets? Who is it, Mike Golic?
__________________
CTU2fan is online now  
Old 03-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #291
Refugee
 
jphelmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: cumming, ga usa
Posts: 1,387
Local Time: 04:13 AM
it was hard to watch any games after this on saturday night. no call on the last play of the game.




__________________
jphelmet is offline  
Old 03-24-2008, 10:47 PM   #292
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,573
Local Time: 04:13 AM
That's what happens when you play UCLA in Anaheim. However, I thought they should have tried to find someone open for a 3, because I don't think there was any way they were going to win in OT.
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #293
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,427
Local Time: 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jphelmet
it was hard to watch any games after this on saturday night. no call on the last play of the game.




did he get fouled? obviously.

do i hate refs? obviously.

but to be fair, in late game situations like that refs usually go by the "he has to be absolutely friggin hammered to get a foul call out of me" theory. in this still photo, he looks like he got hammered. in full speed, it looks like maybe he got fouled, maybe he got blocked. refs don't have the ability to see instant replay and/or still photography.

there is no grand pro-ucla right wing conspiracy involved here. just a bad call. it happens.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #294
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
CTU2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,366
Local Time: 05:13 AM
While I agree on that particular play it's understandable for people to be a little peeved when you factor in recent ref-related events involving UCLA.
__________________
CTU2fan is online now  
Old 03-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #295
Refugee
 
jphelmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: cumming, ga usa
Posts: 1,387
Local Time: 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase


did he get fouled? obviously.

do i hate refs? obviously.

but to be fair, in late game situations like that refs usually go by the "he has to be absolutely friggin hammered to get a foul call out of me" theory. in this still photo, he looks like he got hammered. in full speed, it looks like maybe he got fouled, maybe he got blocked. refs don't have the ability to see instant replay and/or still photography.

there is no grand pro-ucla right wing conspiracy involved here. just a bad call. it happens.
i in no way think there is a conspiracy, i was a ref for 5 years and loads of calls are missed in every game. this play though, he was tackled, and was enexusable. it certainly fell into the he "got hammered" category. you can tell by the way he gets thrown to the floor. the official under the basket had almost the exact same vantage point as the photographer.

had that been collison driving he would have shot free throws because of the influence of the crowd.

i do feel for ucla players (not as bad as for the a&m players though), its not their fault the officials blew the call. they have to hear this over and over and then everyone brings up the other games in which they won with horrible calls.

overall it was an awful officiated game, both ways. the allowed two defensive minded teams to get into a physical battle, and then didn't know where to draw the line. kevin love gets credited for 7 blocks, when 4 of them he almost took a guy's head off.
__________________
jphelmet is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #296
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,427
Local Time: 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jphelmet


i in no way think there is a conspiracy, i was a ref for 5 years and loads of calls are missed in every game. this play though, he was tackled, and was enexusable. it certainly fell into the he "got hammered" category. you can tell by the way he gets thrown to the floor. the official under the basket had almost the exact same vantage point as the photographer.

had that been collison driving he would have shot free throws because of the influence of the crowd.

i do feel for ucla players (not as bad as for the a&m players though), its not their fault the officials blew the call. they have to hear this over and over and then everyone brings up the other games in which they won with horrible calls.

overall it was an awful officiated game, both ways. the allowed two defensive minded teams to get into a physical battle, and then didn't know where to draw the line. kevin love gets credited for 7 blocks, when 4 of them he almost took a guy's head off.
i feel dirty for even trying to defend a referee because i despite them all with every ounce of hatred in my body, but i've seen a guy get sent to the floor like that on an absolutely 100% clean block tons of times. normaly when the shot is blocked with that much force that the player ends up on the floor it results in a jump ball. in this situation, at full speed i can't say that this goes under the category of "hammered." the ref's position is not exactly the same as the photographer's. you don't need to see the video to see that... if the ref and photographer had the same perspective, the ref would have blocked the photographer's view. 2 feet is huge when you're talking about wether a player's body blocked the ref's view of a foul. if you watch the undedited raw video you can even see the ref making the signal that the ball was tipped as he runs down the floor after the block/no call. no trail official in their right mind is going to make that call over the baseline official. should they? yes. will they? no.

he was fouled, they missed the call. happens all the time. there was a play in the first half where an a & m player literally threw a UCLA player to the ground and the foul was called on UCLA. bad call, nothing more. this entire idea that there's some sort of UCLA conspiracy because of a few calls they've gotten is as ludacris as when the colts complained about the patriots getting calls.

refs suck... period. but these refs let them play the entire game, which in a game of this magnitude with these kind of games, if htey hadn't let htem play instead of complaining about this we'd be hearing about how the refs tried to controll the game by calling so many fouls. it's a no win situation, you just hope that they get it right when it counts. this time, they didn't.

but it's not as if a & m wins the game if the call is made. IF they make the call and IF they make both free throws, the game is still tied and UCLA has plenty of time to get a good shot going the other way, and if they miss they still have OT.

ok i'm done for now.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #297
Refugee
 
jphelmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: cumming, ga usa
Posts: 1,387
Local Time: 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

refs suck... period. but these refs let them play the entire game, which in a game of this magnitude with these kind of games, if htey hadn't let htem play instead of complaining about this we'd be hearing about how the refs tried to controll the game by calling so many fouls. it's a no win situation, you just hope that they get it right when it counts. this time, they didn't.

but it's not as if a & m wins the game if the call is made. IF they make the call and IF they make both free throws, the game is still tied and UCLA has plenty of time to get a good shot going the other way, and if they miss they still have OT.

ok i'm done for now.
i agree with everything you are saying. the way they let them play, though was pretty bad.

not saying its a conspiracy, but when jay bilas sitting courtside says its the worst officiating he has ever seen then there is a problem. he also made the comment that the foul on the last play was obvious from where he was.

my biggest complaint is that he was fouled by three people on the play. none of them got a clean block. there is no way the official cannot see the contact when three different people hit the guy. its one thing to say he view is obscured, from one of the guys, but all three? the way he got clobbered the trailing official should without a doubt called that.

fwiw i don't think a&m wins the game, but its one thing to have a chance as opposed to have your season ended on the worst no call is awful.
__________________
jphelmet is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #298
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,427
Local Time: 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jphelmet
but when jay bilas sitting courtside says its the worst officiating he has ever seen then there is a problem. he also made the comment that the foul on the last play was obvious from where he was.
jay bilas is also a douche who, if you go on youtube and listen to the raw unedited video made absolutely no comment about the play being a foul when seeing it in real time... he only commented on how it was such an obvious foul later on, after seeing the replay.

neither announcer made a comment on a foul, or a no call, or anything else other than that UCLA won with defense.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 03-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #299
War Child
 
Butterscotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 716
Local Time: 09:13 AM
The refs really do take up for certain teams and it's not fair. (like UCLA and UNC)
__________________
Butterscotch is offline  
Old 03-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #300
Refugee
 
thetitans2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,752
Local Time: 09:13 AM
Refs in this tournament are among some of the best in the world. They're still human though. UNC and UCLA win a lot of game because they are better than most teams.
__________________

__________________
thetitans2k is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
basketball, ncaa basketball

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com