It's a college basketball thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm rooting for Kansas to win this one. I like the Jayhawks, I used to always play with them in NCAA Basketball on the Super Nintendo, and they always won the Final Four. :up:

Hewson said:
Eh, I guess I'll root for Memphis since Calipari came to prominence coaching the alma mater.

Funny I'm rooting for Kansas for the exact same reason :wink: It's really a shame that UConn/UMass never happened (well, not when we all wanted it to happen anyway).

come on... somebody had to do it

capt.0c117d64a7884a2bb1f7f869760adf51.aptopix_final_four_kansas_memphis_basketball_ff112.jpg
kirk.jpg

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if i were a north carolina player whom just got smacked by kansas, i wouldn't be overly happy about seeing my coach on national TV wearing rooting for kansas, wearing a kansas shirt, in the very next game.

Let's be honest, unless you're talking about some North Carolina Community College the premise of this hypothetical is too far fetched to consider.

And now...another freshman that is nowhere NEAR NBA ready will declare for the Draft.

Seriously, Rose was shut down by Kansas' guards all night. They made him look slow at times. What do you think will happen in the NBA?

Last edited:
well the NBA and NCAA agreed to change the minimum draft age to 20, much like the NFL... now it just has to go by the NBA players association.

stern and brand are at least trying to implement changes to the nationwide system of amatuer basketball, which is a step in the right direction. it'll be interesting to see where it goes from here.

as for the game last night... great finish and all, and it's kinda nice to see callipari, who was such a dick when asked about his team's poor free throw shooting, to lose the championship because of poor free throw shooting... but until the final 2 minutes of the game... ugh.

there is nothing that will drive a basketball purist more crazy than watching two dribble drive offense teams go at it. there was a stretch to start the 2nd half where i don't think either team had a field goal for like 5 minutes. brutal, just brutal.

I'll stop being negative after this post. Calipari should have fouled and not allowed a 3. Then...in OT, he should NOT have fouled and had his players play D when they were down by 3.

On a brighter note...I'll agree with you Headache. I was a little bit stunned to see Roy Williams with a Jayhawk on his shirt last night. :yes:

Got Philk? said:
I'll stop being negative after this post. Calipari should have fouled and not allowed a 3. Then...in OT, he should NOT have fouled and had his players play D when they were down by 3.

On a brighter note...I'll agree with you Headache. I was a little bit stunned to see Roy Williams with a Jayhawk on his shirt last night. :yes:

he deffinetly should have taken a time out on the made free throw to at the very least discuss how they were going to defend that last play. now a lot of things could have gone wrong even if he did choose to foul... kansas has a ton of bigs who could have gotten a putback or a tap back on a missed second free throw... also if they had fouled too quickly, kansas could have made both and then fouled memphis again, and with the way memphis was shooting free throws down the stretch, kansas very well could have ended up with the ball, 4-5 seconds left and a chance to win the game... but then if you foul too late you could end up fouling a shooter in the act.

i'm not completely against just D'ing up and not fouling. that said... the time out should have been taken to at least discuss all options. i was in a similar situation, all be it a jv game against st. francis prep doesn't exactly have the pressure of a national championship game against kansas... we made our free throws to take a 3 point lead with 5 seconds left and then took a timeout. i was in mid sentance telling them to foul as they crossed half court, but then changed my mind and just had them play D... my reasoning was that i had some really dumb kids on the court and i could invision one of them committing either an intentional foul or fouling a shooter, and my one real smart player, my point guard, already had 3 fouls, and i didn't want him to pick up a 4th just in case they did end up tying the game and we had to go to OT. so that could have been a thought in calipari's mind... do i trust my kids to make the right decision regarding the foul? or do i just let them do what they've done all year, D up, and force one of kansas' shooters to make a very tough shot over a very long player.

:shrug: damned if ya do, damned if ya don't... but i still would have at least taken the T.O. to think it over.

back to roy williams... if i were a carolina player who was trying to make a decision on wether or not to come back to school, seeing roy wearing the logo of the team that just crushed my national championship hopes would seal my decision to declare for the draft. but that's just me.

Last edited:
Out of 25 characteristics in a basketball players calipari says free throwing shooting is in there. It serves him right to lose like that. When kansas started fouling with over 2 minutes on the clock, I thought there was no chance they could come back, but memphis' poor free throw shooting proved me wrong.

Free-throw shooting isn't our problem [/calipari]

O RLY??? :)

I love it...though yeah, if you only saw the last 2 minutes or so and the OT then you didn't miss much.

:down: Roy Williams...I mean, come on Roy, use your head.

On ESPN, Calipari says that they were going to foul, but Collins "found a way to get away."

Watch the video, all Rose had to do was just go for a steal while running along side Collins.

But whatever, I see your point headache. And I agree, definitely call the timeout.

And...because of Roy, I'm now going to declare for the draft.

bilas had it right when they reviewed the video... they had tons of chances to foul and nobody even attempted to do so. so if the plan was to foul, then the players certainly didn't know the plan... which again leads to the whole reasoning behind taking a time out. there's so much that could go wrong in that situation... it would just make me feel much more comfortable to talk to the players before hand.

then again... our varsity had a situation in the closing minutes of the state championship game where every coach, myself included, made sure to stress to a player inbounding the ball that he did not have to force the homerun pass and that we enough time (5 seconds) to dribble the ball up if the play was not there. so what did he do? he forced the homerun pass into a turnover, game over, state title hopes over. so it goes. there are a million different decisions a coaching staff can make along the course of a game... ultimately it always comes down to which players make the plays to win the game.

chalmers misses that shot and we're not discussing this.

one thing i'm glad we're not discussing is the officiating, which i thought was very good. they let them play, there was no major controversial call, and the game was decided by the players. :hi5: for that.

CTU2fan said:
I love it...though yeah, if you only saw the last 2 minutes or so and the OT then you didn't miss much.

That'll teach me to fall asleep with four minutes left in the second half. :grumpy:

Ah well. What I saw was pretty good, I caught the highlights, and at least OT wasn't all that close.

at least he'd be a body to fill the position. Headache, you should submit a resume, they'd probably at least bring you in for an interview the way things have been going. You could get wined and dined then turn them down like everyone has been. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom