Incredible sports moments you have seen.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In person (On TV, like No Spooky Worms said would be too long a list):

Game 5 of the 2004 ALCS, Sox beat Yanks in 14 innings, had SRO tix, on my feet the entire time.
Saw the Minnesota Twins turn 2 triple plays in one game at Fenway.
Game 5 in 1991 between Celtics and Pacers, last chapter in Larry Bird's legend.
Saw 4'2" Fred Patek hit 3 homers in one game at Fenway (remarkable only because of who did it)

Unfortunately I also saw this stick-um induced farce in person:
35211092.jpg

At the Rose Bowl in 2004 when USC won it's first National Title since 1978.

Unfortunately, at the Rose Bowl when Tejas beat 'SC in the BCS championship game. Ugh.

At Dodger Stadium when Chuck Finley hit a walk off grand slam against the hated Giants to clinch the NL West in '04.

I've seen a lot of amazing shit on TV, including every pitch of two no hitters (one perfect game) thrown by the same man who just happens to be my favorite baseball player.

In person, the first thing that comes to mind is that I was at nearly every one of the 2004/2005 University of Illinois men's basketball home games. Deron, Dee, Luther. That team was incredible, I'd say, and a true pleasure to watch.

i'm probably forgetting some stuff.

Maybe for those of us that are lifelong sports fans, we should name our Top 5 TV watching moments....that will limit things a bit, because I could name 50 TV moments that were pretty amazing....probably more.....

I'll say that my #1 TV moment remains USA beating Russia in the 1980 Olympics. Made the gold medal game seem like a true afterthought. I'll need to think about 2-5.

In person, I was at Game 6 of this year's Bulls/Celtics series. The triple-OT game. That was historic, but all my other big ones (a surprising majority of the bigs, from the last 20 years) have been seen only on TV.

Celts/Bulls was a great series, and if Ben Gordon knew how to pass it was a series the Bulls could have won. I've never seen a guy shoot that much, that early into possessions, regardless of score, how he'd been playing, etc. I'm not saying that they are better off now than he is gone, but I am saying that he needs to work on understanding working the ball around a bit before shooting.

Cool that you were able to attend that.

Your best sports TV moment in ages was Super Bowl XLII, no?

The Sox winning the World Series in '05 is easily tops for TV moments. And I'd honestly put both Buehrle's no-hitter and perfect game right up there. Of course, the MJ Bulls titles were unbelievable to see, too.

The Mag 7 gymnastics team with the whole Kerri Strug thing was pretty cool. And Dominique Moceanu. :drool:

Phelps was awesome last year. And so was Shawn. Getting to watch the Summer Olympics is always a thrill.

I feel particularly blessed to have been able to watch and appreciate Kobe Bryant's play for so many years. That's not really very specific but, yeah.

Some of Tiger's dramatic Sunday wins have been amazing. That Roddick/Fed match from a couple weeks ago. And even though I don't care about the teams, that Red Sox comeback against the Yankees in the ALCS was pretty crazy. I'm forgetting some stuff again.

In ages, yeah. The best ever...? It's basically right up there, but it's SO hard to choose a single one from the leagues of games and happenings I've seen. Off the top of my head...?

The recent Federer/Roddick Wimbledon final and last year's Federer/Nadal final were literally the best tennis played in the modern era. Unbelievable. I actually think that the tennis was better, this year. I would've shot myself if you told me that I'd be saying that last year's final was anything but the best match ever, a year ago. Unreal shit.

That Bills/Oilers game, when the Bills (starring FRANK FUCKING REICH!!!) came back from 1200 points down to win the game on that outlandish kick. Jesus, that was wild. Seriously wild.

Super Bowl XLII, as NSW said--easily the "biggest" Super Bowl (the most on the line, historically, of all time--that's an easy statement to make, I think) ever played, this game was brutal to watch. I cried--actual, legitimate tears--in joy, at the end of the game, and lost my voice...while watching it at 7:00 in the morning, in Japan. I called in with "food-poisoning. Yeah, that's right, Mr. Tachino. It was that damned Subway by the Keisei stop. I'm dying, over here." I lived and died with every single play of the game. Spectacular. "The Helmet Catch" was easily the best football play I've ever seen, and right up there with the next one as the best play of all time (when you factor in the intangibles)...

The Shot. Michael Jordan. The one wherein he does not push off. There is contact, obviously, as there always is. But when you push, you're not limp-wristed. That was the best single basketball play I've ever seen (at least that I can remember). This, my friends, is a push:

YouTube - Reggie Miller game winner vs Bulls

Of course, there are so many basketball plays and games...that's a dark hole to crawl down, for me. I was also watching that Pistons/Pacers brawl game as it happened, and while that wasn't at all the "greatest" moment, it was definitely one of the more historic ones. I remember Chris Webber's phantom time-out, too. That was insanity!

Baseball, too, just has too many. I was watching all of the home run record games, and I saw the back half of yesterday's perfect game. That Yankees/Red Sox series (where Boston came back and won the whole thing, on the brink of elimination) was more historic than technically impressive...I think that it gets kind of blown out of proportion, simply because of how blatantly the Yanks rolled over and died. Still, in the moment...? That was fantastic. Ugh. Too many memories now flooding back...!!!

Oh, and a special mention for what was my fave of all time, for several years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnAr4I3-Z48

I will NEVER forget that, as long as I live. Never.

Patriots at Chargers, January 2007. That's about it for me as far as events I actually attended go.

San Diego has good fans, but they don't have enough of them, and as a result the stadium was about 20% Patriots fans, making the atmosphere very tense (no fistfights or anything, but very tight).

1168830264_5341.jpg

I am having trouble with my TV moments.

Not to be a jerk, but, as Bulls fans can understand, when you win a lot of titles over a short span of years, there are just too many moments to choose from, though, Jordan has offered some singular moments to be sure.

I think Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS stands out for me. Of course, Games 4 and 5 of the 2001 WS were completely crazy, even though a sad NSW would watch the Yanks lose Games 6 and 7 in person. Someone gave me a hug after the game, randomly, cos they could tell I needed it. Awwww.

Lots and lots of Tiger moments, of course. Agree with the Nadal/Federer clashes.

Phelps, sure, but Bolt was electric too. Michael Johnson's races in Atlanta were special.

That Frank Reich game stands out, yes.

Watching Pedro pitch when he was on top of his game was a repeated pleasure for me.....

But, yeah, I keep coming back to the '80 olympics for my #1.

Shouter, I didn't know that you were that much of a sports fan. Hmmm.

Shouter, I didn't know that you were that much of a sports fan. Hmmm.

That's because I keep it on the DL. This sounds really bad, but I promise that this isn't supposed to be insulting to ANYBODY in ANY way (except for me, really). Here: I am a gigantic enough sports fan that I avoid posting on sports forums/sub-forums, because I feel the discussion is generally so below me. Again, I'm not saying anything bad about our posters or this sub-forum. I never even come in here, really, because of what I mentioned. It's just that generally speaking, this is how it breaks down. Happens in real life, ALL THE TIME--opinions are too strong, statistical knowledge is too overwhelming, minute details are too obsessed over...people just don't generally enjoy talking to somebody about sports who's that psychotic about them. Boston fans seated near me left the fucking game that I mentioned, earlier. They were interviewed for TV, I later found out, and mentioned the hostility in the arena. I know things like how much Big Baby weighs, you see. People don't like that. ;)

I skipped work, earlier this summer, to watch the French Open. The Quarterfinals, man. The Quarters. Tennis isn't even my favorite sport...

This sounds really bad, but I promise that this isn't supposed to be insulting to ANYBODY in ANY way. Here: I am a gigantic enough sports fan that I avoid posting on sports forums/sub-forums, because I feel the discussion is generally so below me. Again, I'm not saying anything bad about our posters or this sub-forum. I never even come in here, really, because of what I mentioned. It's just that generally speaking, this is how it breaks down. Happens in real life, too--opinions are too strong, statistical knowledge is too overwhelming, minute details too obsessed over...people just don't generally enjoy talking to somebody about sports who's that psychotic about them.

I skipped work, earlier this summer, to watch the French Open. The Quarterfinals, man. The Quarters. Tennis isn't even my favorite sport...

Please believe me when I tell you that I know where you are coming from.

I've never visited a sports forum, do not listen to sports radio, ever, will not watch ancillary sports programming, etc. I do not know if it is below me, per se, I just find that I don't get many cogent arguments from sports fans, outside of my coworkers....who better be able to speak intelligently about it, since we earn our living due to sports. That being said, posters like Phanan, Hewson, GAF, Speedracer, etc, are knowledgable and intelligent, so discussing sports with them is fun and it rarely degenerates into pissing matches.

I'll say that my #1 TV moment remains USA beating Russia in the 1980 Olympics. Made the gold medal game seem like a true afterthought. I'll need to think about 2-5.

I know the man who scored the winning goal against the Soviets, and have seen the gold medal in his living room in a galss encased coffee table.

Watching Pedro pitch when he was on top of his game was a repeated pleasure for me.....

In person I saw Pedro out duel a sub-350lbs and in his prime Barto-LOL Colon when he was with Cleveland 1-0, in one of the best pitched games on both sides I've seen. I also saw the Pedro vs Clemens game 3 of the '99 ALCS in person where only one ace showed up, apparently St. Andy Pettitte's dad was late with the package of "rocket fuel" that day.

The Shot. Michael Jordan. The one wherein he does not push off. There is contact, obviously, as there always is. But when you push, you're not limp-wristed. That was the best single basketball play I've ever seen (at least that I can remember). This, my friends, is a push:

YouTube - Reggie Miller game winner vs Bulls

I hated Miller after that play for a very long time. I remember screaming at the tv very loudly and I think even pounding the floor. It was dramatic.

this, for our country, WILL NEVER be forgotten

first... Fernando Gonzales, Bronze medal, Athens 2004 (look at that score) defeating Taylor Dent for 6-4 / 2-6 / 16-14

then, a few HOURS later
Gold Medal Doubles, Athens 2004
YouTube - Nicolas Massu & Fernando Gonzales, Ganador Medalla de oro

and the next day, Nicolas Massu, Olympic Gold Medal
YouTube - Nicolas Massu Ganador Medalla de Oro en Atenas 2004

the broadcasters were actually crying (one of them says so himself "estoy llorando en esta tribuna")

WHAT a weekend that was for my country: 2 golds and 1 amazing bronze
then... the NEXT day

Back
Top Bottom