I need GOLF help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SleepyDeadMan

War Child
so im 18, a senior at my high school, and so far statistically one of the top 15 players in the conference (out of some 80-90). Our team is really good, we're undefeated, and unless we get badly upset we'll be going deep into playoffs

THAT being said, i have picked up a nasty case of the shanks:doh:its like i kind of forget how to swing my low irons.wedges at all... everything feels great then... WHAM dead right

HOWEVER, it is not truly a shank i am hitting, as i dont think i ever hit it off the hosel... (i think)

im 99 percent certain that my clubface is just WIDE open at impact... sort of like a massive block shot.
i say this because once in a while i dont shank it, but push it some 20 yards.
so yeah, im pretty sure that, for whatever reason, i cant seem to square up my face properly

anyways i have a match tomorrow and coach doesnt know of my disease:huh:

any experienced golfers out there that know of some quick fix and/or alternative playing style that could prevent me from blowing up tomorrow? normally i'll shoot 3-5 over, but when i get the shanks, (i had them once before a while back), i can come in easily 20 strokes higher

laksjdlkasjdlaksjdlksajd:doh:

2 things that helped me:

a) try addressing the ball at the heel of the club. It forces you to come from outside-in at the ball and keeps the face relatively closed. This is only a quick-fix though, dont get used to it, or your face will start opening to longer irons too.

b) If you are right-handed, line the knuckles at the abse of your fingers (the end of the palm) straight down the shaft, thus locking your hand into a closed position. Some people chip this way anyway as it keeps tyhe club on the same arc.

Hope this helps :wave:

Envision the shot going exactly where you want it to go. Keep your head down. Swing.

It's not that difficult.

I've had the shanks a couple of times, and I'm probably 4-5 handicap right now. Here is what I do to try and save my round, or if you're at the range practice over and over.

1. Stand farther away from the ball. Sometimes you're too close and you completely change the swing pane. Now you don't want to literally stand 10 feet from the ball, but if you are indeed standing too close right now, just standing a little further back is going to feel weird.

2. Keep your lower body still. When I hit really poor shots, 99% of the time it's because my lower body rocks, or I step out of my swing. I tend to think of my spikes locking into the ground at set up, I then set my knees, then my hands, shoulders, head, etc. I then just think about moving from the waist up, while my feet are "nailed" to the ground. They obviously aren't nailed in, and your body will naturally turn with the swing.

3. Swing easy. Maybe try swinging the club at 75% instead of the 85-90 or whatever you feel you normally do. If you're hitting bad shot after bad shot, it's natural to press and start swinging HARDER.

Relax, hit some good shots, and then move on. Shanks can make you go completely mental, but once you relax, start getting back to your proper form you'll be fine.

I've never shanked a ball on the course...but when I'm on the range, I shank when I start lifting my head real early...I slow it down, go back to just setting up, taking 1/4 swings as if long chipping, get that tempo and rhythm...once I get that groove back, then I go back to where I was...it works...I'm a 9-handicap.

thanks guys i think i got it all worked out... slowed it down like some suggested and focused on fundamentals... didnt shank a ball today in my round actually hit it real well =)

slowing it down gave me the tempo and then i worked up to normal and I felt as good as ever

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom