hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would consider my response to be critical, not defensive (though I am a defensive person). I'm trying to be as friendly as possible while suggesting that "point and laugh" is... well... you sound like high school students.

Who is smug, point them out for me? As far as I remember, I don't recall any Americans being all "hahahahahahahaha fucking sweet, the socceroos barely made it past Syria!" Imagine how awkward that would be...

I assure you that, if you had, it would not be awkward - we're at risk of being eliminated next month by Honduras. It's an embarrassment, Australian soccer is in a bit of disarray at the moment. I would agree with you.

But it's not as embarrassing as what happened to USMNT.

I assure you that, if you had, it would not be awkward - we're at risk of being eliminated next month by Honduras. It's an embarrassment, Australian soccer is in a bit of disarray at the moment. I would agree with you.

But it's not as embarrassing as what happened to USMNT.

And im not disagreeing. I would say it's a good laugh. A sporting fun and game. Not some... strangely "enjoyable" mocking pleasure. It's an unnecessarily aggressive tone which is awkward given nobody gives a shit. It's not like there was a crowd of USMNT fans telling you boy oh boy how that team was gonna win and go far!

In fact, I'd say the unnecessarily vengeful tone irritates me. Nothing to do with the sport or the countries... the fact that being annoyed can be "icing on the cake" for someone is fucking annoying in its own right.

American questioning American exceptionalism is all the proof you need. It is, quite literally, everywhere.

This sentence doesn't even make any sense. It's like you meant to say privilege but replaced it with exceptionalism. I've done absolutely nothing to declare exceptionalism. You're the one singling out the US, not me.

American questioning American exceptionalism is all the proof you need. It is, quite literally, everywhere.

Are you talking about the Trumpist hyper-nationalism sort of thing? If so I think it's worth noting that only 25% or something of eligible voters turned out for that nonsense, and probably not many of them are soccer fans.

I can understand why a nation represented by Donald Trump would be despised by citizens of other nations. There's not much about us to root for right now.

Have a bunch of friends who are devastated by the result. Also, a TON of sports bars lost thousands and thousands of dollars last night. In 2014 there were so many packed bars during the USA matches.

I've never followed soccer very closely so it honestly doesn't bother me that much. Also, cobbler's thread title doesn't bother me. Almost feels like a thread I would post.

These are my thoughts on the issue. Thank you for your time.

Are you talking about the Trumpist hyper-nationalism sort of thing? If so I think it's worth noting that only 25% or something of eligible voters turned out for that nonsense, and probably not many of them are soccer fans.

You, of all people, should know that American exceptionalism is a founding myth of the US, not some new phenomenon brought on by Trumpian hyper-nationalism and neo-fascism.

This is high school history textbook stuff.

You, of all people, should know that American exceptionalism is a founding myth of the US, not some new phenomenon brought on by Trumpian hyper-nationalism and neo-fascism.

Seriously. After 8 years living here, it still amazes me how people are so oblivious to it.

Visit the Constitutional Museum in Philadelphia and you will hopefully understand what we foreigners mean.

So do any of you care to explain how asking for someone to point someone out here exhibiting American exceptionalism in fact makes me exhibit American exceptionalism?

I just don't get the defensiveness. You're a liberal dude.

If someone said to me "Australia is hugely racist, quite homophobic and run inhumane illegal jail camps that are perhaps the worst of any Western country among many, many, many other problems" I'd be like "sure, can't really argue with that".

If someone said to me "Australia is hugely racist, quite homophobic and run inhumane illegal jail camps that are perhaps the worst of any Western country among many, many, many other problems" I'd be like "sure, can't really argue with that".

Yeah but what if I made a thread titled hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah about the Geelong Cats.

WHAT THEN COBBS.

Aaaaahahahaha I had no idea one of the US players is an Icelandic guy who chose the US because he thought he'd have more chance of playing in a World Cup.

Maybe a bit less funny because he doesn't appear to be in the squad at the moment? But you'd have to assume he'd have been a shot at the Icelandic team, which has made it, given their tiny pool of players.

And you're alienating. I come from a country where I've never been welcome by the same people you're meaning to target. I say that as a half middle eastern half British first generation gay male who received his fair share of flak in the family and in society just for being who I am, and a fair amount of flak for being of olive descent in post 9/11 America.

And then I go abroad. I live in the UK. Took a week for someone from my university to tell me to "go home" because they messed up my loans. I'm a passport carrying citizen of that country. Think things got any better when I lived in Italy, France?? No, of course not. I'm a homophobic racist gun carrying Trump supporter to every person abroad until I *clarify*. People aren't nice just because of how I sound. And no, that's not a pity party for myself. That's just reality. But you know what I've learned from being in so many places and seeing so many different people? It's not so different. Especially in Australia. It's the exact. Same. Thing. It's western culture. It's global by now.

But it's a real fucking pain in the ass when folks like you just do that whole "lump them all together" bullshit. "We" are smug. "We" are exceptionalists. Who the fuck are "we?" I have one identity abroad that'll always be me. I'm American. There are plenty of people just like me who don't see eye to eye with the scum in our country, and the same scum exists in your country and every other western country under different circumstance. Except you're taking a big fucking brush and saying "this is what it means to be what you are."

You might not notice it, but point-and-laugh at sports as a proxy to air your grievances with America is you exceptionalizing America. You can instead choose to hate people for who they are, instead of being lazy and taking away what little identity some of us have and shitting on it.

I think you're overestimating my level of annoyance/anger whatever by a count of how many words I've written. I'm not "losing it" and I don't care about the soccer part of it. I'm explaining, through personal experience, why I loathe that tone. I certainly don't dislike or have any hard feelings towards cobbler.

Not denying it exists - my point is the people this thread targets (presumably people invested enough in soccer to be watching a qualifying match) are not the ones who would go around waving an American flag or telling people of color to go home.

Cobbler, you have been through the US. Have you encountered this type of nationalism - like someone lecturing you about how the US is awesome - in people you met here? Genuinely curious.

AOCrowd2-590x393.png

TIL LN7 is triggered by the US soccer team getting mocked.

Also this loss fucking sucks on so many levels. But I get the derision.

Back
Top Bottom