Greatest Sportsman of All Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, thanks for the explanation, BoMac but it is really not convincing at all. So I'm not sure I have to let anything go just yet.

One school of thought is that when the modern series began in 1903, it was sponsored by the New York World newspaper, and the name stuck over time.

Okay. Calling your newspaper New York World itself reeks of the same problem: treating a national entity as if it applies to the whole world. But anyway, I won't get into that argument. I'll just say that it is weak if they named it World Series after that, and never bothered to change it.

However, even before 1903, the championship series between the winners of the National League and the American League was referred to as the World's Championship because the sport's powers that be planned to expand it globally.

But that didn't happen, did it? Global expansion of the "world series". It is still held in the US and an American team (with some foreign players) wins it every time.

"By 1890, the Spalding Guide was explaining that "[t]he base ball championship of the United States necessarily includes that of the entire world, though the time will come when Australia will step in as a rival, and after that country will come Great Britain; but all that is for the future."

Wait.. what? "base ball championship of the United States necessarily includes that of the entire world"? How exactly? The "time will come" when those other countries will become rivals? Ohh so in future it can be addressed as World Series then. Except the time hasn't come yet, has it? lol.

My bad. So... US + Canada = World. Is it?

Did I say that? Or am I just correcting you? Cos you keep insisting that an American team wins every time, but they don't. So, if you are gonna argue, and be wrong, be gracious when corrected, and don't take my comment out of context, please.

So when is GAF scheduled to show up and post a photo of Mark Buehrle in here?

Okay. Calling your newspaper New York World itself reeks of the same problem: treating a national entity as if it applies to the whole world. But anyway, I won't get into that argument. I'll just say that it is weak if they named it World Series after that, and never bothered to change it.

Let's just agree to disagree here, except that I must say the point you're trying to make in the post quoted above is laughable, at best. That newspaper is now defunct, but what's wrong with calling it the World when it's a newspaper that is offering its readers a window to the news of the world? Hilarious.

Let's take another example: the Stanley Cup. Named after a former governor-general of Canada, Lord Stanley, who donated the chalice as a reward for the best hockey team in the country. Mr. Stanley has long since passed on, the post of governor-general is now largely ceremonial, and the Cup is awarded to teams in Canada and the United States.

Should the name have been changed? Or is there something to be said about history and tradition?

Did I say that? Or am I just correcting you? Cos you keep insisting that an American team wins every time, but they don't. So, if you are gonna argue, and be wrong, be gracious when corrected, and don't take my comment out of context, please.

lol. You have got to be kidding me! Okay I was wrong about an American team winning every single time. There is Canada too. But how does that justify the main point of this argument that a national tournament be called as world series??? You are just looking for ways to nitpick now and sweeping the main argument under the carpet.

lol. You have got to be kidding me! Okay I was wrong about an American team winning every single time. There is Canada too. But how does that justify the main point of this argument that a national tournament be called as world series??? You are just looking for ways to nitpick now and sweeping the main argument under the carpet.

I am not involved in your World Series argument, Zoots. I'll let you make an ass out yourself on your own.

But, you're missing my point, if you think that's a nitpick.

You're making arguments and trying to present facts about baseball, but, you're presenting incorrect facts. That deserves to be pointed out. I'm sorry if your inexplicable hatred of American sports blinds you to this, but that is the case. You have said a few erroneous things in your statements re: baseball, so, I just pointed out the one. It's hard to make convincing arguments when you don't know what you're talking about.

Greatest Sportsman of All Time?

Deez Nuts.

Close Thread.

dznuts1.png

If you don't like America, you can gggggiiiiiiitttttt out.

I already did. What more do you want? :sad:

I am not involved in your World Series argument, Zoots. I'll let you make an ass out yourself on your own.

But, you're missing my point, if you think that's a nitpick.

You're making arguments and trying to present facts about baseball, but, you're presenting incorrect facts. That deserves to be pointed out. I'm sorry if your inexplicable hatred of American sports blinds you to this, but that is the case. You have said a few erroneous things in your statements re: baseball, so, I just pointed out the one. It's hard to make convincing arguments when you don't know what you're talking about.

So you are not going to explicitly state your opinion about why the world series is called so, but you're still going to conveniently stand on the sidelines and state that I am making an ass of myself just for questioning something related to American Sports, something which is no doubt close to your heart. Wonderful!

Also, I don't hate American sports. I question the validity of certain things like calling an american version of 'what looks like rugby' as football.. or calling a national tournament as world series.. etc. I have no problem with the sports themselves.

And pointing out a mistake like that when it does not contribute anything to the main argument is frankly completely unnecessary and only creates diversions to the main topic.

I think you may have reading comprehension problems, no offense. Go back and read what I wrote and I basically stated that it "seems to be up in the air", as you say.

So, not only am I making an ass out of myself.. now I have reading comprehension problems! lol. You americans north americans are a touchy lot. It is easy to ruffle your feathers, eh?

Oh btw, thanks for the support so far, non-americans. :happy:

I already did. What more do you want? :sad:

So you are not going to explicitly state your opinion about why the world series is called so, but you're still going to conveniently stand on the sidelines and state that I am making an ass of myself just for questioning something related to American Sports, something which is no doubt close to your heart. Wonderful!

Also, I don't hate American sports. I question the validity of certain things like calling an american version of 'what looks like rugby' as football.. or calling a national tournament as world series.. etc. I have no problem with the sports themselves.

And pointing out a mistake like that when it does not contribute anything to the main argument is frankly completely unnecessary and only creates diversions to the main topic.

This is a silly argument and I am going to end my participation. This is not FYM and we are not Financeguy and BVS. Sorry if my comments were off-putting.

What I would like is for someone to reply to my earlier post about Donald Bradman.

I don't think we're any touchier than the rest of the world is about us calling soccer soccer.

Major League Baseball is the premier baseball league(s) in the world. It's the Holy Grail for any player anywhere in the world. I've got no problem with it being called the World Series.

Zoots - I'm not a non-American, but for what it's worth I think baseball is boring as hell, and American Football, aka, Handegg is god-awful. :hug:

I don't even know why I like you sometimes.

I don't even know why I like you sometimes.

Because I walk softly yet carry a big co.... :uhoh: Actually, I don't do either of those. I dunno, man. Must be my thick eyelashes and charm.

But you're also a douchebag, so that has to be factored in.

A valid point as I do get a +5 modifier for Douchebaggery. But even so, that doesn't make my point any less valid as i used my +9 Sword of Truth and +3 Knife of Clairty with poison resistance when I made those points. The +5 Douchebaggery would have been cancelled out. Duh.

Beav and NSW need each other. Both would cease to exist without the other.

Back
Top Bottom