Greatest Sportsman of All Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
someone mentioned bob gibson earlier and my first thought was that he was not even the best pitcher of his ear. But, even koufax, despite his being a tribe member doesn't deserve to be termed best sportsman of all time, not in my opinion. Then again, we have no established criteria so it's hard for me to suggest anyone at all. If it's sheer brilliance over a short period of time, koufax is up there. If it's measuring you against your contemporaries, ruth gets my vote from a baseball perspective. Also, my lack of true knowledge about sports like cricket, soccer, rugby, etc, prevents me from taking this thread too seriously. Bashing cricket and then seeing american sports get bashed just seems lame to me.

I did mention edwin moses 1/2 seriously. Dude won 122 straight races which boggles my mind. Eric heiden perhaps deserves some consideration.

------------------------>
its football

Someone mentioned Bob Gibson earlier and my first thought was that he was not even the best pitcher of his ear.

1. Is it because he could not hear as well as other pitchers? Who was the best pitcher in Gibson's ear?

2. Will the Cubs win a World Series in the next few ears?

3. Will U2 fans still be bitching about setlists ears from now?

1. Is it because he could not hear as well as other pitchers? Who was the best pitcher in Gibson's ear?

2. Will the Cubs win a World Series in the next few ears?

3. Will U2 fans still be bitching about setlists ears from now?

1. The little things Khan puts into Chekov's ear also wound up in Gibson's ear at one point.

2. Chicago plays in the Midwest, there's a lot of corn in the Midwest, thus a lot of ears of corn in the Midwest, so, no.

3. Yes.

If I called American Football Grid Iron, someone would correct me

And then you could say something like "well, I've been calling it Grid Iron my whole life because that's simply what it's referred to here as. Please find some way to forgive this truly horrid and evil transgression".

I actually have great respect for sport, be it known to me or foreign, but when someone of Madforit's.......stature, let's say, takes time to instruct me, my reactions will be poor, at best. I know damn well that it's referred to as football everywhere but here.

Cricket's global significance is unquestionable because it has the billion+ Indian market sewn up. Remove India, and it's not all that significant on a global scale. Just something played by countries of the ol' British Empire.

That's one thing I admire about the USA, arguably the greatest country of all time. Founded upon the most ideal values, harking back to the Revolutionary days, that they were so fed up with the Brits that not only did they achieve independence, but they also rejected all British cultural traditions. The quaint, contemporarily underdeveloped games (not sports) of cricket and football and rugby were to0 British for them, so they invented their own. Same with reinventing the way words were spelt. I love that! British Imperialism was one of the most devastating things to happen to mankind, and the Americans resisted it and told the Poms to rack off. And the US has my utmost admiration for that reason, even if things did get a little twisted in later years and even today. Even if Gridiron and Ice Hockey are a sheer bore to me.

I'm just raving here.

5819american-eagle-and-flag-ii-posters.jpg

Cricket's global significance is unquestionable because it has the billion+ Indian market sewn up. Remove India, and it's not all that significant on a global scale. Just something played by countries of the ol' British Empire.

That's one thing I admire about the USA, arguably the greatest country of all time. Founded upon the most ideal values, harking back to the Revolutionary days, that they were so fed up with the Brits that not only did they achieve independence, but they also rejected all British cultural traditions. The quaint, contemporarily underdeveloped games (not sports) of cricket and football and rugby were to0 British for them, so they invented their own. Same with reinventing the way words were spelt. I love that! British Imperialism was one of the most devastating things to happen to mankind, and the Americans resisted it and told the Poms to rack off. And the US has my utmost admiration for that reason, even if things did get a little twisted in later years and even today. Even if Gridiron and Ice Hockey are a sheer bore to me.

I'm just raving here.

So you're saying that baseball was a response to Britain's colonization of India?

greatest FOOTBALL (as in the sport that actually makes the contact of a foot and a ball mean something) goal EVER

just listen/read the broadcaster

YouTube - Gol de Maradona contra Inglaterra '86

this is like 2nd best, watch the back replay to REALLY get it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crDzasp1-60&feature=player_embedded

3rd best... my NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM... Chile vs England, February 11, 1998. I didn't saw the match... I was at the stadium here in Chile, waiting for the BEST POPMart show of the tour... WHAT A DAY

U2 showed the goals to those in attendance at the stadium before HMTMKMKM, the 2nd encore, in that HUGE screen

the first goal... an absolute beauty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So1H1p8UOAw&feature=player_embedded

ETS: I have nothing agains England... it's a coincidence that all 3 goals are against England teams.

also because they suck :wink:

Back
Top Bottom