Greatest Sportsman of All Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cumdog sucks. Cricket is in it.

I'll let you connect the dots.

I'd like to connect some of Freida Pinto's dots, if you catch my drift.

So everyone outside of the US says it has to be the guy who played cricket, and then Jordan, Ali, Gretzky have been sprinkled in there? Sounds fine to me.

But I'd also dispute what you're saying there too. An unathletic person could succeed in car racing with ease. I'm not saying they don't need some stamina, but they don't have to be in shape.

Your current NASCAR points leader:
070803_tonyStewart_hmed_6p.hmedium.jpg

tony-stewart-2007-0014.jpg

stewart_opt.jpg

Now I'm not saying Tony's anywhere near Sidney Ponson/Bartolololololo Colon level, but the only time anyone will mention a six pack in reference to him is when talking about how much Natty Light their sister/wife drank while watching him race. Race car drivers are certainly athletes, there is a physical toll, but by no means are they elite athletes in the traditional sense.

Have there really been so few good Jewish athletes that you have to go back circa 5000 years to find one? Come on, man. Holding two cement slabs with rules written on them is technically not sport.

But he probably would've had to have been fit to do it.

But he probably would've had to have been fit to do it.

Oh, no doubt. I'm not denying his physical conditioning - dude walked in the desert for 40 years. But walking? Not a sport. Nor is talking to a bush. Nor making a staff turn into snakes. They might be games, but not sports. And the parting of the water - badass? Hell yeah. He's a better showman that David Copperfield, Kriss Angel and Doug Henning combined - but water parting is not a sport either. The closest I can give him is baby kayaking, but we're never told where he actually placed. He may have come in dead last for all we know - or, he may have set the goddamn Baby Kayacking World Record for fastest run down the Nile -we'll never know - but even then...c'mon? Baby Kayacking? That's barely a sport. And even if it is, I'll go home right now and throw my 4 week old in a kayack and send him down the Husdon, and if it takes all night we'll break that goddamn record, whatever it may be - I don't need no divine intervention, I got balsa wood - but does that make my month old kid the greatest sportsman ever? No way. No way. Get real. Come on.

Have there really been so few good Jewish athletes that you have to go back circa 5000 years to find one? Come on, man. Holding two cement slabs with rules written on them is technically not sport.

I missed very few things during my hiatus from interference, your sense of humor being one of them.

Now fuck off.

Football is the greatest sport ever
closely followed by cricket

USA sports suck big time
EVEN rugby is better than American football

Cricket is massive in the Commonwealth
but recently its appeal has spread to Western Europe, Middle East, and China

As i said before Dennis Compton should be on the 'greatest' list
He was amazing at football and cricket at the highest level

Dennis Compton
Played cricket for England
5807 runs at an average of 50
17 International Hundreds and 28 50's
Has record # of centuries in an English summer
Served in the British Army in WW2
Played Football for England
Played for Arsenal and won the FA Cup and the League title

LEGEND

^ That wouldn't happen to be when the commentator absolutely loses his shit and screams DENNISBERGKAMPDENNISBERGKAMPDENNISBERGKAMPDENNISBERGKAMP!!!!!!!! over and over again?

i also like that picture.

how was Europe? i'd say we need to catch up by throwing some vicious barbs at ourselves and others, but i'm about to be on the road for the next 2 weeks and my time here will be abbreviated.

I will call you Irving for a few days, will that suffice?

My trip was amazing on myriad levels, thanks for asking. I'm still sort of processing it all. Hope you're well and I assume you're on the road for work?

God, I hate Michael Phelps.

I'm going to throw NSW a bone here:

KOUFAXLR1.jpg

Someone mentioned Bob Gibson earlier and my first thought was that he was not even the best pitcher of his ear. But, even Koufax, despite his being a tribe member doesn't deserve to be termed best sportsman of all time, not in my opinion. Then again, we have no established criteria so it's hard for me to suggest anyone at all. If it's sheer brilliance over a short period of time, Koufax is up there. If it's measuring you against your contemporaries, Ruth gets my vote from a baseball perspective. Also, my lack of true knowledge about sports like cricket, soccer, rugby, etc, prevents me from taking this thread too seriously. Bashing cricket and then seeing american sports get bashed just seems lame to me.

I did mention Edwin Moses 1/2 seriously. Dude won 122 straight races which boggles my mind. Eric Heiden perhaps deserves some consideration.

Back
Top Bottom