Greatest Sportsman of All Time? - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #181
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
Hmmm....maybe my card says Ripkin - I bet that'd be worth something, right?
Probably.
__________________

__________________
No spoken words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #182
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 06:55 AM
Well, thanks for the explanation, BoMac but it is really not convincing at all. So I'm not sure I have to let anything go just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
One school of thought is that when the modern series began in 1903, it was sponsored by the New York World newspaper, and the name stuck over time.
Okay. Calling your newspaper New York World itself reeks of the same problem: treating a national entity as if it applies to the whole world. But anyway, I won't get into that argument. I'll just say that it is weak if they named it World Series after that, and never bothered to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
However, even before 1903, the championship series between the winners of the National League and the American League was referred to as the World's Championship because the sport's powers that be planned to expand it globally.
But that didn't happen, did it? Global expansion of the "world series". It is still held in the US and an American team (with some foreign players) wins it every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
"By 1890, the Spalding Guide was explaining that "[t]he base ball championship of the United States necessarily includes that of the entire world, though the time will come when Australia will step in as a rival, and after that country will come Great Britain; but all that is for the future."
Wait.. what? "base ball championship of the United States necessarily includes that of the entire world"? How exactly? The "time will come" when those other countries will become rivals? Ohh so in future it can be addressed as World Series then. Except the time hasn't come yet, has it? lol.
__________________

__________________
Zoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:05 PM   #183
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
But that didn't happen, did it? Global expansion of the "world series". It is still held in the US and an American team (with some foreign players) wins it every time.
Except for the two times Canada won.
__________________
No spoken words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #184
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Except for the two times Canada won.
My bad. So... US + Canada = World. Is it?
__________________
Zoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #185
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
 
UberBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the most serious...douch hammer ever
Posts: 20,318
Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
My bad. So... US + Canada = World. Is it?
Technically US +/- Canada = World.
__________________
UberBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #186
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
My bad. So... US + Canada = World. Is it?
Did I say that? Or am I just correcting you? Cos you keep insisting that an American team wins every time, but they don't. So, if you are gonna argue, and be wrong, be gracious when corrected, and don't take my comment out of context, please.
__________________
No spoken words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #187
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,693
Local Time: 11:55 PM
you guys are a bunch of North America'ists
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #188
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 05:55 PM
So when is GAF scheduled to show up and post a photo of Mark Buehrle in here?
__________________
impy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #189
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Except for the two times Canada won.


Why isnt Joe Carter Prime Minister yet???
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #190
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,665
Local Time: 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
Okay. Calling your newspaper New York World itself reeks of the same problem: treating a national entity as if it applies to the whole world. But anyway, I won't get into that argument. I'll just say that it is weak if they named it World Series after that, and never bothered to change it.
Let's just agree to disagree here, except that I must say the point you're trying to make in the post quoted above is laughable, at best. That newspaper is now defunct, but what's wrong with calling it the World when it's a newspaper that is offering its readers a window to the news of the world? Hilarious.

Let's take another example: the Stanley Cup. Named after a former governor-general of Canada, Lord Stanley, who donated the chalice as a reward for the best hockey team in the country. Mr. Stanley has long since passed on, the post of governor-general is now largely ceremonial, and the Cup is awarded to teams in Canada and the United States.

Should the name have been changed? Or is there something to be said about history and tradition?
__________________
BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #191
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Did I say that? Or am I just correcting you? Cos you keep insisting that an American team wins every time, but they don't. So, if you are gonna argue, and be wrong, be gracious when corrected, and don't take my comment out of context, please.
lol. You have got to be kidding me! Okay I was wrong about an American team winning every single time. There is Canada too. But how does that justify the main point of this argument that a national tournament be called as world series??? You are just looking for ways to nitpick now and sweeping the main argument under the carpet.
__________________
Zoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #192
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 05:55 PM
If you don't like America, you can gggggiiiiiiitttttt out.
__________________
impy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #193
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 06:55 AM
Btw, apparently it was not named after New York World newspaper.

snopes.com: World Series

And also:

WikiAnswers - Why is the baseball championship called the world series


Anyway, it seems to be up in the air. One man's opinion against another. A "Who's penis is bigger?" thing.
__________________
Zoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #194
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
lol. You have got to be kidding me! Okay I was wrong about an American team winning every single time. There is Canada too. But how does that justify the main point of this argument that a national tournament be called as world series??? You are just looking for ways to nitpick now and sweeping the main argument under the carpet.
I am not involved in your World Series argument, Zoots. I'll let you make an ass out yourself on your own.

But, you're missing my point, if you think that's a nitpick.

You're making arguments and trying to present facts about baseball, but, you're presenting incorrect facts. That deserves to be pointed out. I'm sorry if your inexplicable hatred of American sports blinds you to this, but that is the case. You have said a few erroneous things in your statements re: baseball, so, I just pointed out the one. It's hard to make convincing arguments when you don't know what you're talking about.
__________________
No spoken words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #195
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,665
Local Time: 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
Btw, apparently it was not named after New York World newspaper.

snopes.com: World Series

And also:

WikiAnswers - Why is the baseball championship called the world series


Anyway, it seems to be up in the air. One man's opinion against another. A "Who's penis is bigger?" thing.
I think you may have reading comprehension problems, no offense. Go back and read what I wrote and I basically stated that it "seems to be up in the air", as you say.
__________________

__________________
BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Fez to Dublin JCOSTER It's A Musical Journey 6 02-24-2009 12:42 PM
The Greatest Concert Festival of All Time DaveC Just the Bang and the Clatter 10 10-02-2008 10:14 AM
System of A Down Devlin PLEBA Archive 7 08-23-2006 04:03 PM
5 best American songwriters of the rock and roll era to today UnforgettableLemon Lemonade Stand Archive 18 01-07-2005 05:13 PM
2 whom it may concern hiphop Lemonade Stand Archive 6 10-11-2002 07:12 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com