Euro 2012 thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best review of the game I've seen

Fittingly in this steaming pile of shit of a match Xabi Alonso marked
his 100th game in a Spain shirt with both goals. Iniesta played a great
pass inside Debuchy to Alba, Debuchy decided the best course of action
when defending a through ball was to attempt a diving header, Alba
skipped past his lame challenge, put in an out swinging cross and Xabi
fucking Alonso arrived to plant a header inside the left post. Casillas
tipped away a Cabaye free kick - the only noteworthy effort the anaemic
French managed on goal. Mr Disingenuous passed up the chance to dive in
the box after Lloris raced off his line and shut down a Xavi through
pass. Another of the Barcelona bastards, Pedro, dived under minimal
contact with Reveillere to win the penalty.

Benzema should hang his head in shame. I think he's only drew one
difficult save from a goalkeeper in four games. Even when it's clear the
Barcelona players have gone to ground theatrically referees see the
sadness and despair in their tiny little eyes and can't help but to
award penalties.

Spain - taking the joy out of football one tournament at a time.

Spain - taking the joy out of football one tournament at a time.
So much of this.

I know it takes a lot of skill to do what they do but that doesn't make it beautiful. They're playing football, not handball. And then all the praise they get... I haven't seen an exciting Spain match in years.

So much of this.

I know it takes a lot of skill to do what they do but that doesn't make it beautiful. They're playing football, not handball. And then all the praise they get... I haven't seen an exciting Spain match in years.

Well, not everybody appreciates a classic Karpov match, but that's not his fault.

Spain force their opponents to play that way which does make it their fault. :wink: More power to them I guess. It's just not enjoyable for a neutral supporter.

Spain force their opponents to play that way which does make it their fault. :wink: More power to them I guess. It's just not enjoyable for a neutral supporter.

Greece were pilloried for the way they played in 2004, wonder how many of those critics praise Spain's brand of defensive football ? Catenaccio is catenaccio and Spain are the modern day masters of it. Classic case of lipstick on a pig.

f3937c83_1340400381394.gif

England really is cursed at Penalty Kicks. Pirlo scored a pretty save-able penalty kick and then Young misses. Or did that happen first? I already forgot.

That was pretty much a game to see who loses to Germany though. I want Germany-Portugal, that would be a fun one to watch.

Pirlo's penalty was the most beautiful thing ever. :lol: He just... stopped, and softly pushed into the middle when Hart was already lying down.

England really is cursed at Penalty Kicks. Pirlo scored a pretty save-able penalty kick and then Young misses. Or did that happen first? I already forgot.

That was pretty much a game to see who loses to Germany though. I want Germany-Portugal, that would be a fun one to watch.

Yes, Pirlo's PK is completely saveable if you know it's coming.

It's a fairly common way to take a penalty like that but it takes a lot of skill, and courage.

And when Ashley Cole stopped in his tracks, I knew he'd miss.

Italy -Germany should be a good match. Sadly I'm gonna miss the next three matches because I'm at Werchter.

I think what we are seeing is that probably for the first time we have an international team that are just a million miles better than any other team at the moment.

The other teams do have a choice in how they play Spain, the most common approach is the park the bus, but if I were them I would just go for it, what does it matter if you lose 1-0 or 5-0?

I would actually argue it's how the other teams now play Spain that has forced Spain to be more methodical and controlling, hence not playing with a striker as there is no space for a striker to run into when you have 10 players in front of the goal. In the France game, what do you expect when you play full backs as wide midfielders?

Absolutely nothing makes me happier than England being eliminated on penalties, though by the sounds of it they should have lost comfortably in regular time.

It's bad enough their cricket team is doing well.

Thankfully, we can always bank on their soccer team being awful. :heart:

Can't argue with England being booted, although I did have them pegged to advance.

Lord, they could barely string together 2 passes in the final offensive third. England was lively enough to earn a few set pieces, but they totally failed to dictate anything to the defense. For all the fun of a Chelsea-type run, sometimes the better team really should win.

LJT said:
The other teams do have a choice in how they play Spain, the most common approach is the park the bus, but if I were them I would just go for it, what does it matter if you lose 1-0 or 5-0?
I agree that most teams have too much respect/are too scared of Spain. Italy played fairly offensive against them and actually got a draw. They could have even won. I think Portugal need to try to play their own game against them, with a bit more focus on the defence maybe.

So far, the Germans have impressed me more than the Spaniards so my money is still on them.

Italy was pretty much dominating the whole time, shame they couldn't score goals in regular time. But it was okay in the end.

My hopes are on Germany,untill now they have proven themselves the better team,
and they are less ugly as Spain.

Go mannschaft.

Certainly the most prettyboys in the German team. :shifty: Neuer, Klose, Lahm, Schweintje, Podolski, Schurrle, Muller, Kroos, and my new favourite, Reus! :D

who else wants italy to win euro 2012 :D

not really :D
but I think they have a fair chance at beating Germany

to be honest, what I've seen from Germany (unfortunately I haven't been able to see too much) I find them less impressing than I thought they would be beforehand

Italy -Germany should be a good match. Sadly I'm gonna miss the next three matches because I'm at Werchter.

Werchter had live link up with the WC in 2010, and announced scores after every set whilst a game was played.
If they do that this year, I don't think your going to miss anything!

Have fun in Werchter, one of my fav. festivals ever. Great site, great sound, great crowd.

Exited for Germany - Italy.
Less exited for Spain - Portugal

Back
Top Bottom