Euro 2012 thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope some of the players can justify their talent in normal competitions becuase we basically saw nill percent of it.

That's also the awful thing about it. Some really did this past season (like Huntelaar and Van Persie), but then it was all gone this past week...

Too many big egos on the field maybe. Against Denmark maybe also some arrogance. They didn't lack the chances, but managed to miss like the Austrians. Against Germany they started with so much ball possession but then received the goals. And against Portugal the goal came when Robben passed for once... to van der Vaart who used to be the substitution player.

I think the biggest problem with Hollands team is that they left to much open space. The gap between the attack and defence was huge. And the attacking players never did any defending. As a result there was never pressure on the ball.

:lol: That's a good one. Here we call him Gollum, seriously compare the two. Same facial expression and big eyes! :wink:

Oh yeah, there's quite a few shops on him and Gollum. :D

It's weird though, he is a top athlete, but if you see him you are afraid he's a junkie.

Just got back from the Spain-Croatia match. Cracking match in a super stadium in Gdansk.

What a star Iniesta is!

It looked quite boring on television. But the atmosphere can make a big difference of course.

It looks good yeah. I'm really enjoying the tournament so far. Not many boring matches.

I'm hoping that Portugal, Germany, France and England progress.

BTW, the UEFA is lucky that the Ukraine goal was offside as well.

ukrainex-large.jpg

Good clearance!

Ukrain got screwed. Bigtime. :(

The France - Sweden match was epic though. THAT is the Sweden I wanted to see from the start of this cup. Had they played Ukrain and England like this, they would've won, for sure. Sad that they only figured things out when all was already lost. France started out decently, but the entire 2nd half was full of Swedish chances and attacks. :up:

Why does everyone keep forgetting that the Ukraine attacker stood offside in the first place!? Of course it makes it more sensational...

It is easy for an offside to be mistaken or not clear enough and there's the rule, when in doubt decide in favour of the attacker. But if you have a dedicated goal referee and he doesn't see that the ball is in, while for years you have avoided and postponed discussing the introduction of some technology for this matter (which even before the cup was decided to be a topic after the cup) then it's a whole other issue.
The mistake of not seeing that a ball is inside the goal is not negated by the fact that there was a mistake before.

I totally agree with you but I'm talking about the fact that Ukraine "lost" a goal. They didn't. Of course it's awful that something like this happened again but I don't think Ukraine should complain.

And the offside was pretty clear as well, not just one foot too far.

The one thing that the mistake proves is that goalline technology is really needed.

And I hope Ronaldo scores a hattrick today.

:lol: Oh Balotelli, you're a hoot. Bit of a rebellious child though.

The Germans are playing strong tonight, hope they can pull it off. :up:

This is going well! First half was German domination, then 2nd half the Greek came back. But now it's 3-1. Germany found their mojo again, wouldn't surprise me if moar goals happen.

Prizeshooting for Germany, very nice goals!! Greek keeper makes it easy for them tough.

From the BBC Text updates:

According to Opta, Germany had 75% of the possession in the game. 75%! That is three-quarters of the game! They also made 709 passes to Greece's 220, had 26 attempts to Greece's 10 and won the corner count 10-1. It was men against foetus's out there.

From the BBC Text updates:

According to Opta, Germany had 75% of the possession in the game. 75%! That is three-quarters of the game! They also made 709 passes to Greece's 220, had 26 attempts to Greece's 10 and won the corner count 10-1. It was men against foetus's out there.

A shame Germany didn't score more.

Why is each Spain game so boring to watch? France was pretty shitty.

I hope Portugal beat them in the semis.

Why is each Spain game so boring to watch?

Because what many pundits praise as skill is just a thinly disguised form of catenaccio.

Death by square passing.

Boring as hell.

It was the same in the WC.

Why is each Spain game so boring to watch? France was pretty shitty.

I hope Portugal beat them in the semis.

What is Spain (or Barca, for that matter) supposed to do when an opponent packs it in on defense and shows nothing in terms of counterattack (and also if their own back four is somewhat sketchy as well)? If they don't need to score, no reason to turn the ball over.

Because what many pundits praise as skill is just a thinly disguised form of catenaccio.

Death by square passing.

Boring as hell.

It was the same in the WC.

If it's not skill, it should be easy to steal the ball back then.

Back
Top Bottom