Espn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you know, with the upcoming NFL season, they could be doing so much more with depth chart updates, camp stories, sleepers, and maybe even fantasy football talk (maybe even a half hour Fantasy show every day). instead they squeeze all of that in to cute 2 minute segments.

you know, with the upcoming NFL season, they could be doing so much more with depth chart updates, camp stories, sleepers, and maybe even fantasy football talk (maybe even a half hour Fantasy show every day). instead they squeeze all of that in to cute 2 minute segments.

You're clearly not paying attention.

While they were busy burying the Roethlisberger story, they were arguing about whether Romo and Simpson make a good couple or not.

I'm not making that up, either, this was debated on 1st and 10. Which I read about, for the record.

You're clearly not paying attention.

While they were busy burying the Roethlisberger story, they were arguing about whether Romo and Simpson make a good couple or not.

I'm not making that up, either, this was debated on 1st and 10. Which I read about, for the record.

oh yeah, that's right! :lol:

What, you guys didn't like Madden Nation. It was vaguely sports related! Come on!

Stephen A Smith was interviewed on ABC World News Tonight, the other day. I'm not kidding. They were asking him about the Gates arrest, his opinion, and what it's like to be a black man in America. Stunning. Utterly stunning.

Stephen A Smith was interviewed on ABC World News Tonight, the other day. I'm not kidding. They were asking him about the Gates arrest, his opinion, and what it's like to be a black man in America. Stunning. Utterly stunning.

How did I miss this? Quite frankly, I'm disappointed.

THE BOTTOM LlNE IS THAT ANY BLACK MAN IN AMERICA HAS TO BE THINKING ABOUT THIS ISSUE. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. WHEN YOU GO TO THE GROCERY STORE TO PURCHASE YOUR CHEESE DOODLES, WILL SOMEONE MISTAKE YOU FOR A THIEF? THEY SURE AS HELL WOULDN'T IF IT WAS SLAVA MEDVIDENCO BUYIN' CHEESE DOODLES.

THE BOTTOM LlNE IS THAT ANY BLACK MAN IN AMERICA HAS TO BE THINKING ABOUT THIS ISSUE. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. WHEN YOU GO TO THE GROCERY STORE TO PURCHASE YOUR CHEESE DOODLES, WILL SOMEONE MISTAKE YOU FOR A THIEF? THEY SURE AS HELL WOULDN'T IF IT WAS SLAVA MEDVIDENCO BUYIN' CHEESE DOODLES.

how can you do a mock rant of stephen a. without using HOOOWWEEEEVVVVUUUUUUHHHHH

you disgust me.

I couldn't begin to count the reasons that ESPN is terrible. At the top of the list though is their hypocracy surrounding Big Ben. Everyone was told not to talk about it because they "won't cover civil suits." Okay...then why are they covering a civil suit against Marvin Harrison? :huh:

Second man claims ex-Indianapolis Colts WR Marvin Harrison shot him - ESPN

Notice the part of the article that says: "In January, Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne Abraham said she would not file criminal charges because the case was steeped in conflicting witness accounts. She specifically mentioned Nixon, who initially told police he knew nothing about what happened but four days later signed a statement saying he was positive that he saw Harrison with a gun. Abraham said Nixon, who has a rap sheet for petty drug possession and is currently in jail for illegally having prescription pain pills, "admitted that he had fabricated many of the details."

Yet, ESPN still feels this deserves coverage?! Big Ben and Marvin Harrison are similar in that they have had no problems before and are well liked. One has an entire network not cover allegations against them in part not to stain their image prematurely. The other gets coverage even though the allegations come from a shady source with conflicting statements. Marvin Harrison's image is being dragged through the mud. The only difference I see is that Marvin Harrison is black while Ben is white. What kind of journalistic standards are those?! :shrug:

Journalistic standards? Good one! Expecting that from ESPN is like expecting Larry King to ask tough questions to his guests.

I am not disagreeing, here. Instead, I am asking an honest, slightly devil-advocating question:

Where does one turn for journalistic integrity, in the sports world? Honestly. What is better/less bad than ESPN?

What about in-depth reporting, coupled with journalistic integrity. I think that the AP is a so-so answer, here, but you did satisfy my criteria--"better/less bad than ESPN." Still, like I"m saying, AP stories are generally just condensed play-by-plays with a few clumsily transcribed quotes. There's gotta be something better...

I was half-kidding with that response.

I honestly don't really know. I guess it's a combination of sources. By that I mean, you have to read different takes on the same story and figure it out on your own. Which is an unfortunate place to be in.

What about in-depth reporting, coupled with journalistic integrity. I think that the AP is a so-so answer, here, but you did satisfy my criteria--"better/less bad than ESPN." Still, like I"m saying, AP stories are generally just condensed play-by-plays with a few clumsily transcribed quotes. There's gotta be something better...

A National TV entity dedicated to sports 24/7, with more integrity than ESPN? The problem, ESPN is the only 24/7 National sports service that serves as a news entity as well. You have Regional Sports Networks, but they are event driven and not news driven....and besides, the teams they televise pay the bills, so their integrity is always in question. Versus is mostly sports, but they have no news gathering abilities. So, currently, there's not a lot of competition, which allows ESPN to take whatever path they deem best as viewers have no similar alternative, outside of their sister entity, ESPNEWS, which, while less bogged down than ESPN with placement and sponsored elements is still no bastion of integrity.

Just because a thing sucks does not mean a better alternative exists. Sadly.

The internets are a different story.

Who would you rather beat with a crowbar, Stu Scott, Chris Berman, or Trey Wingo?

Like NSW, I could go on all day about this subject.

I usually read CBSSports online, I don't know why I prefer it, I just do.
I don't know if it's legitimately a better online alternative to anything else but it's pretty entertaining (lots of editorial opinion) as well as the straight news stories. Plus, I consider it to be simple and user friendly.

As far as television goes, the only real (comparative) alternative is FOX and even then it is heavily regionalized. Their national coverage is just as crappy as ESPN. So I don't have an answer for IYS either.

Two minutes ago on ESPN Radio:

"Got some bad news for all you Yankee haters...the Yanks are the HOTTEST TEAM IN BASEBALL RIGHT NOW!! Yes folks, they have won an amazing EIGHT of their last TEN! Could they be the best team in the Major Leagues?"

Um...the Phillies are 18 for 22. They've won four in a row. They just picked up last year's Cy Young winner (a 22 game winner, for fuck's sake) for absolutely nothing.

Yeah, fuck yourself ESPN. :angry:

Back
Top Bottom