Delhi Commonwealth Games 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sad Punk

Blue Crack Addict
Since it's looking like the best thing about these games will be its logo, I thought a thread was in order.

"On Tuesday, a footbridge under construction collapsed near the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium - the main Games venue - injuring 27 workers. On Wednesday, a section of ceiling caved in at the weightlifting venue.

The state of the athletes' village has come in for criticism, with complaints of flooding, rooms soiled by excrement and stray dogs sleeping on some beds.

And security fears were heightened at the weekend when two tourists were wounded by gunmen on a motorbike near the Jama Masjid mosque.

Ticket sales have been disappointing and the cost of hosting the largest sporting event in the country's history has soared, making it the most expensive Games in history, with estimates ranging from $3bn to more than $10bn, as organisers attempt to complete work which only began in 2008."

My sincerest hopes to Delhi and India as a whole that the games succeed, but at the same time... I can't look away.

i was going to make this thread ages ago, but the whole thing has been a shambles.

i'm more interested in the two Australia-India tests to be honest.

Where's your enthusiasm, guys? This is going to be the first Commonwealth games I ever watch, that's for goddamn sure. Or at least the first that I intend to watch and then can't watch because they never happen.

well normally i'm super hyped about the games, be they of the olympic or Australia-only? commonwealth variety, but the lead up has made me very apathetic.

This decade, there have been so many major sporting events where many people have predicted a shambles, crimewaves, "they'll never be ready in time", etc., only for the event to be a massive popular success.

Delhi, on the other hand, looks all too poised to actually fulfill the concerns and fears. :slant:

I can't say I have been seriously anticipating the Games, but I am (was?) looking forward to watching a fair amount of them all the same. Hope all the shit gets sorted and we have some quality sport to watch. I'd prefer to follow Delhi in the sports pages, you know?

As much as heated international archery and strange foreign grass hockey competitions between such powerhouses as Tuvalu and Montserrat excite me.....I think I'll have to pass

Montserrat??? I was looking forward to anything featuring the Isle of Man. Cos watching them beat the shite out of St Vincent (and/or St Lucia) is what makes the world turn....

I'm excited.

30112_6lo.jpg

I didn't even realise they were coming up until, well, they started falling apart.

They must know that if they canned Delhi, that would be it?

I love how unbelievably bad the tennis draw is. With all these obscure names thrashing worse obscure names.

^ :lol:

. . . it's slightly nutty how every single event I've watched bits of thus far have had only a handful of spectators at best :coocoo:

the mens cycle sprint tonight was bloody good fun ; the women's hockey was embarrassing (poor ole Trinidad and Tobego, last time I looked the score was 11-nil :doh: ) and the badmington absolutely HILARIOUS, and watching channel ten commentators trying to make things interesting is even more entertaining . . . but these games really are a bit of a :yawn: imho

An event the calibre of this doesn't deserve full day coverage, honestly.

still love watching it, but i'd prefer to, you know, see people there.

i laughed out loud at the prospect of new zealand having a gymnastics team in with a medal chance, lol. and yay, we've finally got a medal in cycling.

4197526.jpg

i'm actually not as patriotic as my posts would have me believe. it really doesn't make for a good competition to have one country so easily dominating.

I totally agree with you. Feels weird seeing athletes win medals at events where they wouldn't even get close to winning in the Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom