Cricket Thread 303*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The guy's usually been pretty useless, so no I didn't expect anything else.

Send over the current Australia A squad for the fourth Test. They'll probably still be competitive too.

Smith, Warner stood down as captain and VC, Paine takes over, but they're still playing.

I think for me the worst stuff about all of this is the rank hypocrisy, and then the general unlikeability about some of the team and their ethos. My interest in this series was already low before it started, which broke my heart, but I couldn't figure out why. Now I know.

If Smith, Warner, and Bancroft play the next game, the ICC must intervene. We know it's almost entirely ineffectual, so I'm sceptical.

The more I think about this, the more I feel that Boof should be sacked, Smith and Warner suspended for multiple games and stripped of their position (and same for any other senior players involved in hatching the plot), and Bancroft should receive a suspension - which I would have suggested should be shorter than the senior players who roped him in, if he hadn't then proceeded to mislead the umpire, seemingly of his own initiative, by waving around that sunglasses cloth. I don't care if what Smith said about Boof not being aware is true. The coach bears responsibility like the captain does, and this pretty clearly shows he created a climate where senior players were willing to cheat with premeditation and take advantage of a junior player to do so. Also, when he got on the walkie-talkie to convey a message to Bancroft, it sure didn't look like the reaction of a man thinking "what the fuck happened, I demand answers".

Perhaps the integrity investigation might reveal information to change the above. But the penalties need to be severe. The rest of the cricketing world has for a long time been uncomfortable with how Australia plays the game, but Australia could offer the excuse that they were staying on the right side of the line and their rivals were being too soft. They can do this no longer, and it's so obviously the result of a toxic culture.

Wow what a collapse by Australia on field, if not a surprising one. And what an unfortunate time for Lyon to take his 300th wicket. He deserved to get that on a day not mired in controversy.

Interesting that the ICC suspended Smith for the next Test but that Bancroft will be able to play. I somehow suspect he won't be taking the field, though...

Apparently the trick of thwarting The Australian's paywall by searching for the headline on Google News and clicking through from there no longer works.

So what does Gideon Haigh have to say?

What, you're telling me the SMH's piece comparing this to #MeToo could, possibly, be junk? Well I never!

You say that as if I would ever in my life pay money for that shitrag, or any other produced by News.

Gosh, how stupid would you have to be to try such a ploy when there are cameras angling at almost every movement you make on the field.

Wednesday morning doomsday.

This won't drag on quite as long as the Essendon saga newswise... but I fear the damage done is far, far greater. I think that will take a long time to repair. And the best way for CA to start is to get rid of all involved in the stupid ass plot. Year off to think about what they've done, then they can come back, with the caveat they will never be given leadership roles unless a miracle occurs.

I desperately hope that Lyon wasn't involved - different outlets have him implicated, others leave it to Starc, Hazlewood and Warner) - but have heard he's about as bright as a fence post, so might have even been all his idea.

It would be almost unreal if Starc and Hazlewood as pace bowlers weren't involved in a plot to get more reverse swing happening.

I too hope Lyon wasn't in on it. And, to be honest, I hope Starc isn't either. He's the one Aussie pacer who has inspired terror into my heart the same way McGrath did every time he lined up against New Zealand (I'll never forget Kane's six in the 2015 World Cup group match after Starc ripped through our lower order). Not even Johnson quite got me as paranoid. Australian cricket needs a fast bowler like Starc.

First of all...

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:

What does this count as? GBH of the so called line?

What a few months for Paine. From nowhere to captain. I hope Hazelwood and Starc are innocent, but how can they be when the whole point of tampering would be to their advantage?
After Lyon’s affair he can go. Thought he was a good bloke but he’s trash. Can’t stand Warner and always thought there’s something odd about Smith. That press conference was bizzare. Coming clean and thinking it’ll all be brushed under the carpet.

Has anyone seen that clip of Bancroft putting sugar in his pocket in a previous game? He’s been the mule from day 1. Feel some sympathy for him as he may have been pressured into it.

Amazes me how big this is in Aus. But then the captain is more important than the PM.

NZ is loving this of course! And the rest of the cricketing world. Ganguly and Harbhajan going in hard

Great win for NZ over England. Should be 2-0 in ChCh this weekend.

This is all so over the top from Cricket Australia. Smith is a broken man. Sacked as captain, 3 month ban and a big fine would have been enough.

Now he’s being crucified by the public. He hasn’t killed anyone. Warner seems to be the main instigator.

Feel sorry for smith. Bancroft was stupid and Warner’s a twat so no issue with his ban.

I agree with Warne on this

Oh thank god, Lehmann has finally fallen on his sword. His position was entirely untenable.

I think the punishments are a bit excessive. A full year? But then it's hard to find a meaningful Test series to ban them from any sooner. Just had a look at the FTP and there's 1 Test against Zimbabwe and 2 against Bangladesh in the middle of this year. Woo? The next series to really matter are 4 against India and then 2 against Sri Lanka in December/January.

They will, at least, be back for the 2019 World Cup and the Ashes. Though it's interesting that there are rumours Warner has played his last international. I would not miss him if he hung up his baggy green and became a T20 journeyman.

I thought we were screwed when Taylor fell. When Latham fell. When de Grandhomme fell. And then Sodhi and Wagner just kept hanging in there. Unbelievable batting, or, should I say, blocking. Really wasn't sure we'd see out the day. All three results were on the cards at the start of play, but I thought a loss more likely, then a win, with a draw seriously hard. But we did it with two wickets in hand. Fantastic.

What? He's literally the top-ranked T20 bowler in the world.

Not Tests, sure, but he's clearly no mug with the ball.

lol lol lol I thought the going line was that no matter how good a bowler was, he'd get smashed in T20?

You know full well that's dumb hyperbole.

So, uh, New Zealand have played just four Tests this season.

When we play Pakistan later this year, it will be our first overseas Test cricket for two years.

Fucking outrageous, really. Right now we have possibly - probably? - our best Test team ever and we're not getting games. These players are sensational and deserve so many more opportunities at the longest form. But this recent paucity of Tests really puts in perspective just how fucking good Kane Williamson is, to still claim the title of most Test centuries by a Kiwi. What a player.

And with regards to the other two Test teams of the Southern Hemisphere, PHILANDER SIX-FOR HOLY SHIT.

Ireland have Pakistan 2/13 in their debut Test! Go Ireland go!

Oh dear. Pakistan declared at 9/310...

...and now Ireland are 3/5 at lunch on the second day.

They started out so well with the ball yesterday too! Poor Ed Joyce. Finally gets to play Test cricket and his first knock ends almost as soon as it starts, out LBW for 4 off 4.

In other news, massive fucking lololololol at practically nobody from Channel 9 getting signed to commentate by 7/Foxtel, while most of Ten's Big Bash people pick up gigs.

A pity that Bill Lawry has decided to retire though.

Back
Top Bottom