Cricket Thread 303*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first time a visiting team has played out a draw in the fourth innings in India since 2010.

The first time Australia has played out the fifth day for a draw since the Ashes 2005.

Series still alive heading into Dharmasala.

And Handscomb got runs.

Couldn't have asked for a better day.

Mate, you move so fast between hating and loving Australia, it's mad.

It's not cricket, but to compare, my rugby ranking:

New Zealand
New Zealand Māori
Wales
Underdog
South Africa
A good contest
Australia
USA
France

Fuck France. They bombed my country. Fuck France.

Shocker. Also worth a watch is this, bit of debate around whether it's a dog move by Latham. I'm fine with it, he doesn't move until well into the shot, just good anticipation for me.

[tweet]845835992695107584[/tweet]

Incredibly disappointing and very anticlimactic end to the India/Aus series unfortunately. Jadeja and Saha batted India into a lead, Renshaw strongly to blame for some terrible dropped catches, but it was out pathetic second innings that blew it. Was really hoping we'd set up a challenging fourth-innings chase for the Indians. They deserved victory, no doubt, they were better than us when it really mattered. Some positive signs for the Aussies but everyone was losing their shit about it being a great series for us just cos we didn't lose 3-0 or 4-0. We were thoroughly outplayed from the second innings in Bangalore onwards, there were some great signs - Renshaw, Handscomb's one innings, two SMarsh innings, a Maxwell innings, Smith's unbelievable, superhuman form (christ, if we'd just had one other batsman be half as good... like, maybe say, KHAWAJA), Cummins' incredible return and good results from the other bowlers - but we still lost a series I think we could have won.

Wait, how on earth is that catch by Latham anything other than brilliance? How the fuck is it a dog move? I'm so confused. What possible problem could anybody have with it?

It was only a few people I saw on Twitter, really, so probably not worth even bringing up, but a few people thought it was unfair because you play a shot to a set field

And he was? Latham's instincts are fucking fine there, following exactly what the batsman is doing.

So Misbah-ul-Haq and Younis Khan's careers have both come to an end. It was actually a pretty thrilling series in the West Indies; Pakistan won the first Test comfortably but the Windies were utterly tremendous in the second, conceding an 81-run lead in the first innings then rolling Pakistan for 81 as they were chasing 188 for victory. And then in the final Test, this happened, on the final ball:

Gabriel had ONE delivery to see out to leave the series a draw and he tried to slog Yasir Shah out of the ground and cost WI the game and the series :lol:

What a way for two huge champions of the game to go out. They'll be sorely missed.

Bloody hell, about time to give Full Member status to Afghanistan now I reckon ...

I'd like to see that. The sooner this overhaul happens the better.

Bangladesh destroyed New Zealand and knocked them out last night :D Kiwis had em 4/fuck all and then Shakib and Mahmadullah put on 220 to get them over the line :D

Oh man, what a high. Who would have thought after that abysmally shocking performance against India in the opening game that this Pakistan team would even progress from its group, let alone win it all? And then to beat the number one ranked ODI team in South Africa in the next game, comprehensively beat the English on their home soil in the semis, and absolutely dominate India in the final? Fucking brilliant. This was a shocking comeback by even Pakistan cricket's mercurial standards. Second biggest moment in Pakistan cricket history after the 92 world cup win. Love it!

Oh man, what a high. Who would have thought after that abysmally shocking performance against India in the opening game that this Pakistan team would even progress from its group, let alone win it all? And then to beat the number one ranked ODI team in South Africa in the next game, comprehensively beat the English on their home soil in the semis, and absolutely dominate India in the final? Fucking brilliant. This was a shocking comeback by even Pakistan cricket's mercurial standards. Second biggest moment in Pakistan cricket history after the 92 world cup win. Love it!

Great post. :up:

Wish I'd followed the tournament. Been just too busy this past few weeks that I barely did anything other than read a few headlines.

A brilliant result. Hassan Ali and Fakhar Zaman are big finds, especially the latter - how has he not managed any ODIs before? Pakistan have needed a big, aggressive hitter at the top order for a while now.

Woah, Ireland and Afghanistan just got Test cricket status! Should've happened much sooner for Ireland, and wow what a meteoric rise for Afghanistan.

Fantastic news for Ireland and Afghanistan, but then 5 minutes later I read about the new 9-team test league that will omit Ireland, Afghanistan, and Zimbabwe. Go figure. At least they can play tests I guess, just not as many as the big 9.

That ought to be enough to convince Morgan to stick with England instead of going home to Ireland. Sadly.

Also read that the World Cup Qualifier next year might be in Ireland and Scotland, and saw an interview with Darren Sammy about how he was worried the Windies would have a tough time playing Scotland on their home ground. The 10-team World Cup might not be the exact ten teams the ICC and broadcasters wanted.

Absolutely incredible news to wake up to, I am so happy. I really hope the proposal cleazer is referring to is not ratified, it makes no fucking sense and is incredibly stupid and near-sighted. But at least if it is we'll have two years of glory...

Yes, it sucks, but its understandable. The test league needs to happen. It'll keep tests relevant and it'll make people in India care about some SA/SL test as it may affect India's spot in the standings.

And lets be honest, AFG, IRE, and ZIM would be locks for the bottom three if they were any part of a test league right now. Give 'em 5 years of playing actual tests against each other and Bangladesh and some odd little one-offs against England (Ireland's first test is hoped to be at Lords) or New Zealand or whoever will play them, and then lets re-evaluate whether we still want to have a 9-team league.

And for anyone who hasn't see the proposal, it's a bit complicated right now, but it'll be a 9-team league that runs from 2019-2023, with the top two meeting in a final. Crazy convoluted details here:
ICC Test, ODI leagues closer to reality | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
If that plan goes through, don't be surprised to hear rumblings about increasing the size of the next test league in 2021 or 2022, if it looks like 1 or 2 of those other three teams may be worthy of a spot.

And as you'd read in that article, Ireland would have home ODI series with New Zealand, Bangladesh, South Africa, and Zimbabwe guaranteed from 2020-2022, so it's not like they'd be left out in the cold. Getting into the convoluted part, with 8 of the 12 allowed test series taken up by the test league, that still leaves 4 additional test series for the big 9, and New Zealand, Bangladesh, or South Africa could be talked into using one of their extra 4 on their scheduled visits to Ireland.

But yeah, Ireland, Afghanistan, and Zimbabwe will be playing lots of tests against each other over that 4 year span. Similar to the annual Bangladesh/Zimbabwe series we seemed to be getting about 5-10 years ago.

As a general idea, that's probably the way to go. Play a decent amount against teams that are on your level, with a few odd ones here and there against the big boys just to keep sight of where you are compared to the top level.

But like I said, assuming we see a few wins for the Afghans or the Irish against the likes of BAN/SL/NZ/WI or whoever over that span, there's every reason to expect that there will be a strong push to expand that league beyond 9 teams for the following cycle.

12 countries. 2 tiers.

England, Australia, India, South Africa, New Zealand, Pakistan.

Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan, Ireland.

They spend 1-2 years playing Test series against each other, then there's a series between the bottom two of div 1 and top two of div 2 for promotion/relegation.

Simple.

Back
Top Bottom