Cricket Thread 303*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would've thought a 7/5 Test series rather than a 9/3 one would be more fair, and give the three at the bottom greater chances to grow while not enduring too many floggings. (Edit: Basically what Cobbler posted while I was typing, but with Sri Lanka in the top division. They'd demolish those other five and be starved of quality competition.)

But it is wonderful to see some meaningful attempts to grow the game. We should've had this 15 years ago, but I fear we've lost Kenya and the Netherlands. Let's hope some more effort goes into making the likes of Scotland, Oman, Nepal, and Hong Kong competitive.

12 countries. 2 tiers.

England, Australia, India, South Africa, New Zealand, Pakistan.

Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan, Ireland.

They spend 1-2 years playing Test series against each other, then there's a series between the bottom two of div 1 and top two of div 2 for promotion/relegation.

Simple.
I think the plan a few months ago was 7/5, on a shorter cycle, but the likes of Sri Lanka, West Indies, and Bangladesh were against it. Especially Sri Lanka. Because they knew that too many 2-year cycles without playing any of the big teams would kill their revenue.

But it is wonderful to see some meaningful attempts to grow the game. We should've had this 15 years ago, but I fear we've lost Kenya and the Netherlands. Let's hope some more effort goes into making the likes of Scotland, Oman, Nepal, and Hong Kong competitive.
The game grew today, for sure. Now just get in the damn Olympics.

Nepal has such awesome fan support. I always cheer for them whenever they're not playing one of "my teams".

That said, I strongly encourage folks to keep in mind that this 9-team league structure might last for one cycle only. I think the main reason folks caved to Sri Lanka and the other holdouts is because they knew they had to do everything they could to actually get any sort of test structure up and running. But once we actually make it most of the way through that first cycle, and assuming it's at least successful enough to want to keep around, it's very safe to assume that there will be all sorts of proposals to modify it. Either by expanding the number of teams to ten or more, making a two-tier structure on a shorter timetable, or even making a much larger second tier adding in Scotland or Nepal/HongKong/whoever else, or even having a third tier of 4-day matches where the likes of Namibia or Canada could try to get promoted up to that second test tier with Ireland and co.

Just be glad we're going to have it (because I'm pretty sure it's going to save the test game). And keep in mind too that Ireland will still get a decent number of tests. It's not like they're going to have zero tests over those years.

Afghanistan and Ireland have done enough over the past decade where they've rightfully earned test status. But they both still have a lot of work to do before you'd want to see them in a 4-test series with the likes of South Africa or Australia.

Too bad Afghanistan can't play any of their tests at home, because for the next 2-4 years at least, they'll probably be a stronger team than Ireland.

Last edited:
I'm glad we will have it, and yes, you make a very good and important point, so I completely retract my idea. I just think that doing a 9/3 split is really silly. The Cricinfo article made it sound like if Zimbabwe, Afghanistan and Ireland want to play Tests, they have to organise them between the three of them. Fuck that shit. Get the top nine teams all playing regularly, sure, whatever, but make it compulsory that, outside of say two-Test series between themselves, Afghanistan, Ireland and Zimbabwe get at least, say, three Tests a year against big names. Single Tests. So they could have a two-year period like:

Zim v Ire, 2 Tests
Afg v Ire, 2 Tests
Zim v Aus, 1 Test
Afg v Eng, 1 Test
Ire v Ind, 1 Test

Ire v Afg, 2 Tests
Afg v Zim, 2 Tests
Ire v SA, 1 Test
Afg v SL, 1 Test
Zim v Pak, 1 Test

Zim v Afg, 2 Tests
Ire v Zim, 2 Tests
Afg v WI, 1 Test
Ire v Ban, 1 Test
Zim v NZ, 1 Test

With the other nine countries having to tour to the minnows to promote the game. 13 Tests spread across two years, the chance to show your wares versus the big names.

Some welcome good news to wake up to this morning, for sure. A big step forward for the game.

Been enjoying the Women's World Cup. Very interesting game between the Kiwis and Aus.

In WI vs SA however... Windies were rolled for 48. Dane van Nierkek took 4/0 off 3.3 overs. :ohmy:

He better not stop writing about sport, he's one of the finest we've got.

And I can't believe the cricketers' dispute continues to drag on. I hope the players don't cave or get brought undone by CA intransigence.

Seriously. What an extraordinary result. Brathwaite and Hope appear to be the future of the Windies top order.

Hahahahaha

God I'm glad that pay dispute didn't lead to this series' cancellation. Huge for Bangladesh. Look at Shakib's stats!

Comfortably the best player the country has ever produced. What an awesome week for Test cricket.

Don't think it's laughable or anything though. Bangladesh have been an excellent Test side at home for some years now. Beat England last year.

Shakib is love, Shakib is life. :love:

Also stoked to see the Windies pull off an incredible win in England. Two great cricket results.

I reckon Australia should have to play every game on the subcontinent.

Apparently he was defending two gay men from an aggressive bloke threatening them with a bottle.

Another incredible example of Test cricket between Pakistan and Sri Lanka. Perera gets the final wicket but it turns out to be a no ball. :lol: Pakistan chasing 136 to win.

Sri Lanka got up! Amazing. Bangladesh were thrashed though. Suspect it will be a long time until they're consistently competitive away from home, although they're without their best player at the moment.

Smith is amazing. Kohli gets all the plaudits but he's a home track bully.

England will be smashed in this series

Ali wasn't out! The line was repainted and he looked to have his foot 1mm behind the line when you zoom in. Typical average Kiwi umpires eh!

Smith is unquestionably the best batsman in the world. There can be no debate about that whatsoever. Kohli second best.

Ali was definitely out. Took it in his stride too, didn't complain. Good man.

The current story is Bairstow headbutting Bancroft at a pub in Perth before the series started. Now make's Lyon's line about "we'll headbutt the line but not go over it" extremely funny.

Hoping the next few Tests are closer finishes. The first three-and-a-half days of this Test were great.

The best bit is that we haven't had to endure Smarsh yet.

He batted really well. Got out to a very smart piece of bowling. We've got to stick with him now, which sucks for Maxwell, who made about 18 trillion runs in the Shield on the weekend and shouldn't have been dropped in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom