Cricket Thread 303*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I mean it's a little sad, 46 runs to win with seven wickets in hand. You don't like seeing Pakistan doing very Pakistan things on the Test field. But still, bloody amazing from NZ. Love the Kiwis. You can watch a really good highlights package here.

Why wasn't Southee playing?

Fuck we've had some amazing Test cricket lately.

NZ winning the series against Pakistan the same evening I saw the mighty Straitjacket Fits and Dimmer play an all-time classic gig in Wellington has to be right up there for life experiences for me. My passions of sport and music sitting together so perfectly.

Everybody's favourite cricket tweeter Jimmy Neesham just missed out on the fastest ODI fifty of all time.

He was 47n.o. off 13, with no deliveries left in the innings!

Hit one over for 6, 6, 6, 6, nb+2, 6, 1. The last six right onto the roof of the stands. 3rd highest score off a single over ever.

What a boy.

Where are all the cricket fans at? Really strong opening match for the hosts, England. They really do look like the favorites this time around (although I'm sure they'll find a way to muck it up :lol:). It's weird watching this World Cup as a neutral, since my team (Pakistan) might as well have stayed home (got bowled out by the Windies for a 100 yesterday :doh:). Speaking of the Windies, they have the potential to win this whole thing. Really hope Afghanistan does well too - they're up against Australia later today.

Sri Lanka 50-3 against NZ right now. Should be an easy win for the Black Caps (who I'm supporting now that Pakistan has gone to utter shit :reject:).

Fucking stoked by how well New Zealand have started the tournament. But, well, Sri Lanka look woeful at the moment, so I'm not getting proper excited until we play someone good.

A bit hard to get into this World Cup so far for me to be honest, since it's in a rubbish timezone if you're watching from Australia, and the lack of the associates continues to stink.

Wow, so Pakistan remain impossibly, inscrutably mercurial.

Whitewashed by England a couple of weeks ago in the bilateral ODI series, pulverized by the 8th ranked team in the world in their opening match, lost their previous 11 ODIs in a row - who in their right mind would've given Pakistan a chance today against tournament favorites England today? Who would've thought that the team that got skittled out for a 100 odd in their previous match would pile on a target of almost 350 today, and then defend it against the team that has twice posted the highest ODI score ever (including once against Pakistan itself) on this very ground, on this very pitch!?

Gotta say, I don't do drugs, but I can't imagine getting higher highs and lower lows than what being a Pakistan cricket fan entails.

Classic Pakistan, in a way I hope their unpredictability never changes. That Champions Trophy victory is still amazing.

Pakistan eh.

I'd been a little bit worried about New Zealand, especially after our close call against the Windies, and now here come Pakistan, knocking us off and improbably putting themselves in semi-final contention. Imagine if this team, so utterly written off by everyone, actually made it to the finals. It would be the most Pakistan thing to happen to world cricket.

Right now I am just desperately hoping Australia does not win, or the world cup will truly be irrelevant. I'd also prefer England and India not win it, because the dominance of the big three is bad for the global game. But gee I don't want to rely on my own country to be the force for good because we'll lose, and Pakistan, well...

I want Australia to win, but only if we play England or India in the final. Fuck those cunts. But if we play literally anyone else, fuck us.

I am so here for Pakistan. Look at all this shit...

[tweet]1143849670269177856[/tweet]

[tweet]1143948956633837568[/tweet]

The greatest cricket match of all time. The greatest tennis match of all time. One city. Same time. Absolutely insane what went down yesterday. I have never experienced such unmitigated, unrelenting stress in my life. Both Federer and NZ lost. I'm heartbroken, completely spent, but also privileged to have experienced two of the greatest sporting events of all time.

https://youtu.be/Kwu1yIC-ssg

https://youtu.be/mnLdAeSXZv0

Cannot believe the news about Shane Warne. And on the same day as Rod Marsh? Unbelievable. I grew up watching Warne. The only other celebrity/sportsperson death I was affected this deeply by was Kobe's. Just so sad and shocking. Warne almost single-handedly dragged Australia into two consecutive world cup finals. A truly once-in-a-lifetime cricketer. RIP Warney and Marsh. Sad, sad day for cricket ...

I normally sleep in on a Saturday morning, but I saw a text at 730am about Warne and then just simply couldn't go back to sleep. I've been scrolling Twitter, Youtube and the news ever since. Absolutely devastating.

I saw it at 1am on Twitter. Someone said, “can’t believe the news about Warnie! And I just thought, what has he gone and done now?!

This was the last thing I ever expected! What a sad past couple of days in the cricket world, a little bit of my child/young-adulthood just died.

I'm looking forward to watching the entire innings when I get home. Truly, truly, unbelievable. I'd love to come up with a comparison for an American sport.

Back
Top Bottom