College Football 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UCF 2013 Schedule:

5 - 7 Akron
1 - 11 FIU
7 -5 Penn State
11 -2 SCAR (Loss)
3 - 9 Memphis
12 - 1 Louisville
3 - 9 UCONN
8 -5 Houson
2 - 10 Temple
6 - 7 Rutgers
2 - 10 South Florida
5 - 7 SMU

Defeat 11-2 Baylor in the FIESTA BOWL

Where did UCF get boned, exactly? You're complaining about where they started in 2014? Were there NO offseason changes for your team? Did the ranking end up proving to be...oh, I don't know...inaccurate in any way? UCF went 9-4 the following year and their only impressive win was to a highly ranked team in the FCS. AND they lost their bowl.

Wait so let's slow things down here. First of all, you seem to be emphasizing the FIESTA BOWL like its lesser than some other major bowl? Like, if UCF and Baylor were in the Rose Bowl, it would be more impressive? Is there logic in this? The setting, that was chosen by a committee, makes a difference?

Yes, UCF was better than #10 that year. Which is why when they faced a supposed top ten team, they won in convincing fashion. But instead, teams who had occupied the space from preseason ranks held their ground. That is my point, thank you.

And no, I'm not talking about their initial ranking the following season. This was about their INABILITY to peak at anything higher than #10, due to other teams having been given good initial rankings but UCF not having a good initial rank at the beginning of the 2013 season.

My comment about the 2014 season wasn't about the start. It was about how the elimination of the BCS removed the AAC from an automatic bid, and consolidated power to a fewer amount of teams. Yes, they didn't have a good record (no shit, they lost their star QB and starting RB). But my point was that AAC lost its title as a "power conference."

Actually I was highlighting the Fiesta Bowl because it's a major bowl. Meaning UCF was in zero ways slighted in 2013. Despite the fact that they beat up on a bunch of tiny schools and lost one of the two challenges they had that season (Referring to SCAR and Louisville. The Bowl game obviously doesn't effect your in-season ranking). I don't know why you are still throwing a pity party for yourself over the fact that your team had major successes in 2013.

Actually I was highlighting the Fiesta Bowl because it's a major bowl. Meaning UCF was in zero ways slighted in 2013. Despite the fact that they beat up on a bunch of tiny schools and lost one of the two challenges they had that season (Referring to SCAR and Louisville. The Bowl game obviously doesn't effect your in-season ranking). I don't know why you are still throwing a pity party for yourself over the fact that your team had major successes in 2013.

Pity party? I'm not throwing a pity party. I'm using an example that I know well, that demonstrates the ineffectiveness of initially seeding teams. And you, of all people, shouldn't be pointing fingers about a pity party. You bitch every week about where TCU is in the rankings.

Personally, I think you're justified. But yeah, don't do that.

And I was referring to their rankings pre- and post- bowl game. Also, I was making a point over if UCF was initially seeded at 5 and lost to a SC team that was ranked 8 or something like that, they'd be top 5 and a question mark for the BCS.

No, I am not saying they deserved to be there, necessarily. I'm saying the teams that are there will blockade them from even getting close.

A 16 team, four round playoff would be "horrific?"

March Madness must be your least favorite time of year. :lol:

Football is much more physically straining and exhausting than Basketball. I'm not all about the entertainment factor, I'm about quality of the game. And there is absolutely no way that more than 8 teams deserve a right to play in the playoff.
It would be absurd if teams like FSU, Michigan, Ole Miss, Memphis, etc would be serious contenders for a playoff spot if the season ended today.
Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Football is much more physically straining and exhausting than Basketball. I'm not all about the entertainment factor, I'm about quality of the game. And there is absolutely no way that more than 8 teams deserve a right to play in the playoff.
It would be absurd if teams like FSU, Michigan, Ole Miss, Memphis, etc would be serious contenders for a playoff spot if the season ended today.

Why? All of those teams are playing great football...

Pity party? I'm not throwing a pity party. I'm using an example that I know well, that demonstrates the ineffectiveness of initially seeding teams. And you, of all people, shouldn't be pointing fingers about a pity party. You bitch every week about where TCU is in the rankings.

Personally, I think you're justified. But yeah, don't do that.

And I was referring to their rankings pre- and post- bowl game. Also, I was making a point over if UCF was initially seeded at 5 and lost to a SC team that was ranked 8 or something like that, they'd be top 5 and a question mark for the BCS.

No, I am not saying they deserved to be there, necessarily. I'm saying the teams that are there will blockade them from even getting close.
I don't see a way to avoid making preseason rankings. You're taking a 128-team league and trying to make a definitive ranking based on a 12 or 13-game season. Pretending like that season is occurring in a vacuum only makes your job that much harder. Not giving Ohio State credit for coming off a national title with a lot of that talent still on the roster would be kind of silly.

Does it hurt up-and-coming teams that lack history, both recent and long-term? Absolutely. But it's essentially impossible to avoid doing it.

I don't see a way to avoid making preseason rankings. You're taking a 128-team league and trying to make a definitive ranking based on a 12 or 13-game season. Pretending like that season is occurring in a vacuum only makes your job that much harder. Not giving Ohio State credit for coming off a national title with a lot of that talent still on the roster would be kind of silly.

Does it hurt up-and-coming teams that lack history, both recent and long-term? Absolutely. But it's essentially impossible to avoid doing it.

:up:

I'm definitely acknowledging that it's a scenario that simply just doesn't play out well in either case.

The best solution I can think of is to model it like the Champions League and have all ten conferences send representatives.

I don't think a playoff is out of the question, and I don't see the big deal with lengthening the playoffs (not everyone has to play more games, just winners...).

What research?

Well, here for one
http://m.livescience.com/803-dangerous-sports-america.html

It's also in a some sports injuries textbooks that I've read, but I don't have access to them at the moment.

Obviously it's not a contact sport like football, but the frequent stop and go can cause microtears in tissue, leaving the athletes prone to injury.

Well, here for one
http://m.livescience.com/803-dangerous-sports-america.html

It's also in a some sports injuries textbooks that I've read, but I don't have access to them at the moment.

Obviously it's not a contact sport like football, but the frequent stop and go can cause microtears in tissue, leaving the athletes prone to injury.

Thanks for the article.
My main point is the fact that there's a reason why basketball is played 3-4 games a week and football only once. It involves a lot more strategy and planning, along with being much more physically demanding.
Making football into a tournament would be terrible for the sport and most of all, it would downplay the accomplishments of the regular season.
In the words of Michael Scott, "football is like rock and roll. It's all bang, bang, bang. Basketball is like jazz."

The regular season doesn't deserve that high of regard because the schedules vary wildly in strength, even in power 5 conferences. You think Iowa fans are satisfied with their accomplishments? They were given a cupcake schedule IN a power 5, affording them few opportunities to prove themselves and putting the team on thin ice from the start. If they lose one game to a top team, their season is over. Meanwhile, teams like Stanford and Oklahoma can battle back from their losses because their slates are much more impressive. You really think the regular season is an objective, be-all-end-all judge of talent with such obvious, gaping holes?

And I'm sorry, but it's hilarious that we're arguing about football somehow being above a playoff on account of its mental and physical intensity when the NFL already has a 12 team, four round playoff that literally no one is seeking to shorten. A 16 team tournament would "ruin the sport?" Give me a break.

Last edited:
Mia and Peef. College football thread delivers.

Peef too?? Oh snap!

Thanks for the article.
My main point is the fact that there's a reason why basketball is played 3-4 games a week and football only once. It involves a lot more strategy and planning, along with being much more physically demanding.

But didn't the article just establish that it's not? How is football more physically demanding when the incidence of reported basketball injuries is over 100,000 more than football?

Do you not associate physical demands with injury risk and occurrence? How is football more physically demanding? Can you provide some sort of stat other than a quote from an american rip off of a brilliant british original series?

And I'm sorry, but it's hilarious that we're arguing about football somehow being above a playoff on account of its mental and physical intensity when the NFL already has a 12 team, four round playoff that literally no one is seeking to shorten. A 16 team tournament would "ruin the sport?" Give me a break.

Hellyeahbro

Nothing like rankings to to get the heated debate going.

I think the factor a lot of people are missing is recruiting. The power 5 conferences have a decided advantage in this regard. I'm a West Coast girl, so I'll concentrate on the Pac-12 vs Mountain West. If you're a top California recruit, you are going to a Top National program, USC, ucla, Oregon, Arizona, ASU, Cal, Stanford*, UW, Utah, over any team in the Mountain West. These top schools will rake in the top talent, and will be deeper than the smaller schools.

Utah and Boise are great examples. They would routinely go undefeated only lose a game against the likes of Fresno State, BYU, SDSU, San Jose, etc. However, once Utah joined the Pac-12 it took them a few years to be 100% competitive.

There is no 100% perfect solution here given the lack of parity throughout FBS. But it does make for a great debate.

While I disagree with some of the rankings, I'll reserve my rancor until after Thanksgiving. College football is insanity and the thing we least expect will happen.

I agree with whatever argument gets Penn State into the rankings.

Capa%2B-%2BLook%2BWhat%2BThe%2BCat%2BDragged%2BIn.jpg

I like what Gary Patterson said last year, "just win and you'll be fine".
I guess I just value integrity of the game over everyone feeling like they deserve to be included in the playoff. They're not professionals and shouldn't be treated at the same level. You're forgetting the fact that there's bowl games. In the NFL, the other 20 teams seasons are over if they don't make the playoff, college teams still have a lot to play for if they go 9-3, but they shouldn't be playing for a playoff.

16 team playoff would be absolutely horrific. Way too many teams and would take too long.

Come on. Division 1-AA (FCS), Division 2 and 3 have been doing this format forever.
So what the mighty student athletes of Eastern Washington, Virginia Union etc. can handle it but the poor fragile boys at Alabama can't?

Come on. Division 1-AA (FCS), Division 2 and 3 have been doing this format forever.

So what the mighty student athletes of Eastern Washington, Virginia Union etc. can handle it but the poor fragile boys at Alabama can't?

That's because they don't have bowl games, so they make the playoff bigger. No one cares about D2 schools anyway. They never beat any good D1 scho...ah f*ck those D2 schools. F*ck App State. I hate sports.
No but really, the bowl games fill that void. If you're the 5,6,7,8, etc team in the nation, you still have a big game to play for. Unlike the NFL or D2 schools. A tourney style playoff would just be about entertainment and ratings, the game would lose it's value imo.

They wouldn't have to shorten the regular season. Back the season up by a week, and have the whole thing run through mid January.

You're only adding two extra weeks/games with a 16 team playoff, versus the current format. I really don't get what the complication here is?

Btw, when did App state get into the FBS? And how? Isn't being an FBS or Fcs based on the size of your school / budget like high school Athletics?

App State joined FBS in 2014. Mainly just because the Sun Belt needed some teams. lol. App State is obviously a notable FCS team and they regionally fit in the Sun Belt.

The biggest issue with the college football playoff expanding is television. They can't expand it earlier because it would interfere with fall semester finals. And they would have an awful lot of trouble expanding it later into January because it would conflict with the NFL playoffs if they did it on weekends. And they don't want to play games during the week once spring semester begins, especially with bowl games (which is what the CFP games would still have to be) being weeklong affairs. They'd have to threaten the whole bowl system to accomplish it, really.

Back
Top Bottom