College Football 2015 - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2015, 12:17 PM   #316
The Male

Local Time: 05:30 AM
The regular season doesn't deserve that high of regard because the schedules vary wildly in strength, even in power 5 conferences. You think Iowa fans are satisfied with their accomplishments? They were given a cupcake schedule IN a power 5, affording them few opportunities to prove themselves and putting the team on thin ice from the start. If they lose one game to a top team, their season is over. Meanwhile, teams like Stanford and Oklahoma can battle back from their losses because their slates are much more impressive. You really think the regular season is an objective, be-all-end-all judge of talent with such obvious, gaping holes?

And I'm sorry, but it's hilarious that we're arguing about football somehow being above a playoff on account of its mental and physical intensity when the NFL already has a 12 team, four round playoff that literally no one is seeking to shorten. A 16 team tournament would "ruin the sport?" Give me a break.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #317
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Mia and Peef. College football thread delivers.

Peef too?? Oh snap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
Thanks for the article.
My main point is the fact that there's a reason why basketball is played 3-4 games a week and football only once. It involves a lot more strategy and planning, along with being much more physically demanding.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

But didn't the article just establish that it's not? How is football more physically demanding when the incidence of reported basketball injuries is over 100,000 more than football?

Do you not associate physical demands with injury risk and occurrence? How is football more physically demanding? Can you provide some sort of stat other than a quote from an american rip off of a brilliant british original series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
And I'm sorry, but it's hilarious that we're arguing about football somehow being above a playoff on account of its mental and physical intensity when the NFL already has a 12 team, four round playoff that literally no one is seeking to shorten. A 16 team tournament would "ruin the sport?" Give me a break.

Hellyeahbro

Old 11-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #318
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Nothing like rankings to to get the heated debate going.

I think the factor a lot of people are missing is recruiting. The power 5 conferences have a decided advantage in this regard. I'm a West Coast girl, so I'll concentrate on the Pac-12 vs Mountain West. If you're a top California recruit, you are going to a Top National program, USC, ucla, Oregon, Arizona, ASU, Cal, Stanford*, UW, Utah, over any team in the Mountain West. These top schools will rake in the top talent, and will be deeper than the smaller schools.

Utah and Boise are great examples. They would routinely go undefeated only lose a game against the likes of Fresno State, BYU, SDSU, San Jose, etc. However, once Utah joined the Pac-12 it took them a few years to be 100% competitive.

There is no 100% perfect solution here given the lack of parity throughout FBS. But it does make for a great debate.

While I disagree with some of the rankings, I'll reserve my rancor until after Thanksgiving. College football is insanity and the thing we least expect will happen.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #319
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I agree with whatever argument gets Penn State into the rankings.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:32 PM   #320
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post

I like what Gary Patterson said last year, "just win and you'll be fine".
I guess I just value integrity of the game over everyone feeling like they deserve to be included in the playoff. They're not professionals and shouldn't be treated at the same level. You're forgetting the fact that there's bowl games. In the NFL, the other 20 teams seasons are over if they don't make the playoff, college teams still have a lot to play for if they go 9-3, but they shouldn't be playing for a playoff.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:35 PM   #321
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
16 team playoff would be absolutely horrific. Way too many teams and would take too long.
Come on. Division 1-AA (FCS), Division 2 and 3 have been doing this format forever.
So what the mighty student athletes of Eastern Washington, Virginia Union etc. can handle it but the poor fragile boys at Alabama can't?
Old 11-05-2015, 02:03 PM   #322
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Come on. Division 1-AA (FCS), Division 2 and 3 have been doing this format forever.

So what the mighty student athletes of Eastern Washington, Virginia Union etc. can handle it but the poor fragile boys at Alabama can't?

That's because they don't have bowl games, so they make the playoff bigger. No one cares about D2 schools anyway. They never beat any good D1 scho...ah f*ck those D2 schools. F*ck App State. I hate sports.
No but really, the bowl games fill that void. If you're the 5,6,7,8, etc team in the nation, you still have a big game to play for. Unlike the NFL or D2 schools. A tourney style playoff would just be about entertainment and ratings, the game would lose it's value imo.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #323
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'd imagine they also have a shorter regular season as well. This would be the biggest issue as more regular season games = more money for the power 5 schools.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:13 PM   #324
ONE
love, blood, life

They wouldn't have to shorten the regular season. Back the season up by a week, and have the whole thing run through mid January.

You're only adding two extra weeks/games with a 16 team playoff, versus the current format. I really don't get what the complication here is?
Old 11-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #325
Blue Crack Distributor

Btw, when did App state get into the FBS? And how? Isn't being an FBS or Fcs based on the size of your school / budget like high school Athletics?
Old 11-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #326
Rock n' Roll Doggie

App State joined FBS in 2014. Mainly just because the Sun Belt needed some teams. lol. App State is obviously a notable FCS team and they regionally fit in the Sun Belt.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:01 PM   #327
Blue Crack Distributor

So is there no specific rules setting one college as an FCS school?
Old 11-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #328
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

There are some rules. The FCS school must have been invited by an FBS conference and there is an attendance requirement and they have to offer 90% of the eligible scholarship money.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #329
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
Peef too?? Oh snap!
I'd like to know if you have any research on WTF flow is supposed to be.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #330
Blue Crack Addict

The biggest issue with the college football playoff expanding is television. They can't expand it earlier because it would interfere with fall semester finals. And they would have an awful lot of trouble expanding it later into January because it would conflict with the NFL playoffs if they did it on weekends. And they don't want to play games during the week once spring semester begins, especially with bowl games (which is what the CFP games would still have to be) being weeklong affairs. They'd have to threaten the whole bowl system to accomplish it, really.

Tags
college football, ncaa